Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: USB 3.0 Problems

scorpionking is offline Junior Member

Default USB 3.0 Problems

Hi,
    I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M Mobo which I have had for about 2 years now.
    I have recently installed Win 7 again, but I cannot get my Usb 3.0 working.
    It has been the same from day one, the USB 3.0 Just won't work.
    The trouble rises every time I load the install drivers for the board from the CD, every time it gets down to installing Usb3.0 driver I et the blue screen of death come up and it dumps and restarts the and just moves on installing the rest.
    In the device manager it comes up as unknown device. I a now so fed up with this situation. have tried everything and last week decided to update the bios to the latest 1.80 version, and still no change.
    So I'm really looking for some guidance and answers. Any help would be much appreciated, because I have run out of ideas. Thanks in advance for any knowledge on this problem.

Kevin

SandsOfTime is offline Member

Default Re: USB 3.0 Problems

Maybe the USB 3.0 driver file on your CD is corrupted. Download the latest Windows 7 driver for Z77 chip set from here:
    Intel USB 3.0 Controller Version 1.0.10.255 WHQL (Serie 7)
    Does it install without a blue screen?
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Quote Originally Posted by SandsOfTime View Post
    Maybe the USB 3.0 driver file on your CD is corrupted. Download the latest Windows 7 driver for Z77 chip set from here:
    Intel USB 3.0 Controller Version 1.0.10.255 WHQL (Serie 7)
    Does it install without a blue screen?
    I do have the USB 3.0 Extension driver controller. I think it installs it any way, but the blue screen appears and then dumps. Perhaps I never explained properly I downloaded a program to see if its working and it just doesn't show up.
    Underneath this is an unknown device, but says its working properly. But why should I get an unknown device from the driver CD I'm not sure.
    Something just isn't right here. Do you know what speed the USB 3.0 should be running at, as my transfer rate is only 139Mb/s. You might say that's good, but the USB 3.0 is definitely not working.
    And I'm not getting know where near the manufacturers 5 Gb/s. And I know that it is probably a load of rubbish what they specify as usual, but I did expect to see a drastic improvement.
    Any way I will try your suggestion, I've downloaded the driver. Lets see what happens. I just can't understand this at all at present, why the blue screen if it installs it anyway and it says it functioning correctly.
    But its not!!

Thanks

Kevin

SandsOfTime is offline Member

The specification of the USB 3.0 interface allows transfer speeds up to 5 Gb/s. But the speed you will get depends totally of the device, which is connected to a USB 3.0 port. The 139 MB/s that you have is well within the speed of a USB 3.0 port. If you connect that same device to a USB 2.0 port, you would have only 30-32 MB/s. For example, some USB 3.0 sticks deliver transfer speeds of 40 MB/s only. My external USB 3.0 hdd reaches up to 200 MB/s, because the limiting factor is the mechanical hard disk inside (Seagate ST3000DM001). It's like having a car with a top speed of 130 Miles per hour, but driving on a track across the fields you won't reach that speed by far.

For the unknown device, please give us the hardware IDs of that device, which can be found in device manager. For example, these are the hardware IDs of the USB 3.0 controller on my Z77 mobo:

USB 3.0 Problems-usb3ids-png
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Quote Originally Posted by SandsOfTime View Post
    The specification of the USB 3.0 interface allows transfer speeds up to 5 Gb/s. But the speed you will get depends totally of the device, which is connected to a USB 3.0 port. The 139 MB/s that you have is well within the speed of a USB 3.0 port. If you connect that same device to a USB 2.0 port, you would have only 30-32 MB/s. For example, some USB 3.0 sticks deliver transfer speeds of 40 MB/s only. My external USB 3.0 hdd reaches up to 200 MB/s, because the limiting factor is the mechanical hard disk inside (Seagate ST3000DM001). It's like having a car with a top speed of 130 Miles per hour, but driving on a track across the fields you won't reach that speed by far.

For the unknown device, please give us the hardware IDs of that device, which can be found in device manager. For example, these are the hardware IDs of the USB 3.0 controller on my Z77 mobo:

USB 3.0 Problems-usb3ids-png
    Hi yes I understand where your coming from there. Thanks again.
    Here is the info you requested from me. Unknown device

IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_8086&PID_1E31&REV_0004&SID_1E 311849
    IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_8086&PID_1E31&REV_0004
    IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_8086&PID_1E31

Thank you very much for your time and help, it is much appreciated.

Kevin

parsec is offline Senior Member

Your Z77 Extreme4-M board just has the Intel USB 3.0 support, no add on USB 3.0 chip, so normally should work fine.

You could try running the INF driver ver:9.3.0.1019 from your board's download page, which installs files that identify the various Intel devices on your board.

If you're using Windows 8 (not sure what OS you are using, can't see that in this thread), you don't need to install the Intel USB 3.0 driver. I know the driver installation disk you used tried to install it, so I assume you're using Windows 7.

The ASRock XFast USB utility might be installed when you ran the driver installation disk. That might be inferring with the driver installation.

As SandsOfTime said, the device used with any interface is normally the limiting factor regarding speed. The size and type of files being transferred also determines how quickly they are copied. You'll never get the maximum possible speed with every kind of data.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionking View Post
    Hi yes I understand where your coming from there. Thanks again.
    Here is the info you requested from me. Unknown device

IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_8086&PID_1E31&REV_0004&SID_1E 311849
    IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_8086&PID_1E31&REV_0004
    IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_8086&PID_1E31

Thank you very much for your time and help, it is much appreciated.

Kevin
    Change "Property" to "Hardware IDs" as SandsOfTime did.

Thread Information