Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Xfast ram

Eburitus is offline Junior Member

Question Xfast ram

I'm having 16GB of ram. Is it any use to use Xfast ram with games? Am I right if I say that it could help with LOD? Is it easily configurable while computer is on? I mean can I change the size of ramdisc while OS is running?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Xfast ram

Anytime you create an XFast RAM disk, you must restart the PC for it to be recognized by Windows.

If you want to change the size of an existing RAM disk, you must first "stop" or remove it first, then configure the new size, start it and restart the PC. Anything that was stored in the previously created RAM disk is lost of course.

If you shutdown the PC with any RAM disk, to save its contents it must be backed up to disk first with an option in the RAM disk configuration screen. That happens automatically when the PC is shutdown, if the backup option is selected. It is restored when the PC is started again.

Using the RAM disk with a game depends on what you can put on the RAM disk. Can the game be installed on it, if it can be? Copying a simple program to a RAM disk works, but anything that is installed may not work right. If you can copy or move certain things a game uses to a RAM disk and the game can access it, then it would be faster than getting it from a disk drive.

You would need to experiment with a game on the RAM disk as each game is different.

Thread Information