Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No BIOS/UEFI-Update possible

Werderforever is offline Junior Member

Default Re: No BIOS/UEFI-Update possible

Yes, I have used a USB 2.0-Port for the USB-Stick. The mouse was also connected via USB 2.0.

Werderforever

I have tried all the suggestions to date. None have worked.
    When I enter the UEFI setup screen and select the flash update option under Tools. The filename \z87Ex43.00 appears, the mouse works but is unable to select anything. I have waited 5mins and nothing changes.A reboot is required.

Have I downloaded the correct file "Z87 Extreme4(3.00)ROM.zip" for my system?. Z87 Extreme4 64 bit Intel LGA 1150 skt I5-4670K 8 GB ram using onboard graphics. No overclocking settings.

Thanks for trying

aussiejhv

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by aussiejhv View Post
    I have tried all the suggestions to date. None have worked.
    When I enter the UEFI setup screen and select the flash update option under Tools. The filename \z87Ex43.00 appears, the mouse works but is unable to select anything. I have waited 5mins and nothing changes.A reboot is required.

Have I downloaded the correct file "Z87 Extreme4(3.00)ROM.zip" for my system?. Z87 Extreme4 64 bit Intel LGA 1150 skt I5-4670K 8 GB ram using onboard graphics. No overclocking settings.

Thanks for trying

aussiejhv
    That looks all correct to me, the original .zip file name matches what I see on the ASRock page for the Z87 Extreme 4 board, and the unzipped file name is right too. I just downloaded it and extracted it myself just to see what I get, and it all matches your description. The resulting file is 8,196KB in size, and seen by Windows as an "00" type file.

I've done Instant Flash updates on four different ASRock boards, and have never had this problem. Have you ever used Instant Flash on your board before now? Once the BIOS file is displayed, you should be able to click on it immediately.

Another suggestion is to try going into the BIOS and in the Exit Screen, click on the Load UEFI Defaults option, save and exit and go right back into the BIOS and try Instant Flash again. But before doing that, try downloading the file from a different location, if possible. I don't know what source you chose, possibly Asia, but regardless try a different source, say China or even USA, in case the file you have has a problem for some reason.

My Z87 OC Formula board has a BIOS update that is almost identical in content to yours (2.10 for my board) and was released on the same day. I've been using that BIOS for a while now, and it obviously flashed fine for me.

I'm running out of ideas... how about trying a different USB flash drive. Or download the BIOS file again, even if from the same source.

ASRock suggests if you have a BIOS update failure, to try flashing to the same version your currently have installed. I forget if you said you used the BIOS recovery feature at one point? If so, and I said this once earlier, you need to set the BIOS switch back to the main BIOS since you cannot update the backup BIOS. But you must also then use the Secure Backup UEFI utility in the Tools section to restore the primary BIOS with the backup BIOS. Your board also has two LEDs that indicate which BIOS is currently in use, the A or main BIOS, or the B, Backup BIOS.

From my Z87 board's manual:

This motherboard has two BIOS chips, a primary BIOS (BIOS_A) and a backup BIOS (BIOS_
    B), which enhances the safety and stability of your system. Normally, the system will work
    on the primary BIOS. However, if the primary BIOS is corrupted or damaged, just flip the
    BIOS Selection Switch to “B”, then the backup BIOS will take over on the next system boot.
    Ater that, use “Secure Backup UEFI” in the UEFI Setup Utility to duplicate a working copy
    of the BIOS files to the primary BIOS to ensure normal system operation. For safety issues,
    users are not able to update the backup BIOS manually. Users may refer to the BIOS LEDs
    (BIOS_A_LED or BIOS_B_LED) to identify which BIOS is currently activated.

Finally found a solution to BIOS update.
    12 months ago ASROCK suggested that I disconnect all of the SATA drives and then try a reflash. disconected the SATA drives and the update happened.

Thanks to everyone who assisted me with the problem

Regards
    aussiejhv

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by aussiejhv View Post
    Finally found a solution to BIOS update.
    12 months ago ASROCK suggested that I disconnect all of the SATA drives and then try a reflash. disconected the SATA drives and the update happened.

Thanks to everyone who assisted me with the problem

Regards
    aussiejhv
    Wow, great, but I never heard of that one before.

Out of curiosity, what drives are you using, if that makes a difference... that seems strange to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information