Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No BIOS/UEFI-Update possible

Werderforever is offline Junior Member

Default No BIOS/UEFI-Update possible

Hi,

I am new here and I have a problem with my Z97 Extreme 4.

I have tried to update my BIOS/UEFI from 1.30 to 1.50. When I started Instant Flash nothing happens. Same with InternetFlash and with the Windows-Tool from the Asrock-Website. After restarting my machine UEFI shows further Version 1.30. Whatīs going wrong and do you have an idea what I can do?

Many thanks!
    Werderforever

rclark is offline Member

Default Re: No BIOS/UEFI-Update possible

Hey Werder,
    Welcome to the forum,
    What were the steps you used when you tried Instant Flash ? This may help pinpoint the problem. -- Here are the steps from ASRock site ASRock - BIOS Upgrade Instruction--
    Couple of things is to insure your flash drive is formatted to FAT32---How to Format a Flash Drive to FAT32 | eHow
    Make sure the exe bios update file you downloaded is in the flash drive also so instant flash will recognize it.
    This will start the ball rolling in resolving the issue

Hi rclark,

many thanks for your advices. Yes, I have used a FAT32-formatted Stick and nothing happened, it seems that the update donīt starts. In the last years I have made 30 or 40 BIOS-Updates with several Mainboards, so I know what Iīm doing.
    But here nothing happens and I donīt know why.

Werderforever

rclark is offline Member

Hey Werder,
    Hmmm, I am going to let the seasoned guru techs takeover on this one. I am sot sure what the issue is, sounds like you definitely know what you are doing.
    Sit tight--someone will surely be able to advise you on this,
    take care--rc

We have same problem. Have tried the 3 methods suggested by Asrock. Both flash drive updates failed. When I the windows method, the Bios was corrupted and would not boot, had to reflash the bios.

We have a Z87 Extreme4 MB Intel1150 socket and Intel i5-4670K 3.4GHZ CPU.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I'll talk about Instant Flash, since it is the most reliable method. You must use a USB flash drive for this method.

You may know some or all of the following, just covering everything.

The BIOS file downloaded is a .zip file (all of the update methods use .zip files) that first must be extracted, left click on the .zip file and select Extract all. The file you get after the extraction is the one you copy to the main folder of the USB flash drive.

The USB flash drive must be connected to a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel. If you used a USB 3.0 port and it didn't work, change to a USB 2.0 port.

When you start Instant Flash from the BIOS or otherwise, you should see the BIOS file name displayed on the screen, or a list of BIOS files on the USB flash drive if you have more than one BIOS file. If you don't see the BIOS file you want to flash to listed, something is wrong.

Instant flash does not automatically start running, you must select the BIOS file from the displayed list and follow any prompts after that. Do NOT remove the USB flash drive at least until the PC restarts and prompts you to go into the BIOS, leaving it in does not hurt anything. Removing it early WILL ruin the update.

The update process goes through at least two phases, first the Crashless feature, sometimes an Intel ME firmware update, and then the actual update. It takes several minutes, be patient, you should see the progress bar moving. Do not shut off the PC during any part of the update process. When the process is complete, you will be prompted to press Enter to continue. Do that and usually the PC will shut off and then start again. You'll be prompted to go into the BIOS and set any BIOS settings you use, since after the update ALL settings are now set to their defaults.

I don't suggest the Windows method, too many users tell us it does not work well and causes problems.

Hi
    Thanks for your reply.

I followed your instructions formatted flash drive and extracted file from zip file [Z87Ex43.00] to flash drive. Rebooted computer with flash drive in I/O USB 2.0 port 1.
    Selected the UEFI flash update
    A panel appeared showing the file name \Z87Ex43.00
    I was unable to select this file using the mouse or enter key, the screen was locked and required a reset to reboot.

I tried to change the USB 2 port options (UEFI setup only) with the same results.

I was trying to update the Bios to V3

"
    3.00 7/22/2014 Instant Flash 5.45MB 1. Update InstantFlash Module.
    2. Update Intel(R) ME.
    3. Support i7-4790K, i5-4690K and Intel Pentium G3258 EZ OC.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I'll talk about Instant Flash, since it is the most reliable method. You must use a USB flash drive for this method.

You may know some or all of the following, just covering everything.

The BIOS file downloaded is a .zip file (all of the update methods use .zip files) that first must be extracted, left click on the .zip file and select Extract all. The file you get after the extraction is the one you copy to the main folder of the USB flash drive.

The USB flash drive must be connected to a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel. If you used a USB 3.0 port and it didn't work, change to a USB 2.0 port.

When you start Instant Flash from the BIOS or otherwise, you should see the BIOS file name displayed on the screen, or a list of BIOS files on the USB flash drive if you have more than one BIOS file. If you don't see the BIOS file you want to flash to listed, something is wrong.

Instant flash does not automatically start running, you must select the BIOS file from the displayed list and follow any prompts after that. Do NOT remove the USB flash drive at least until the PC restarts and prompts you to go into the BIOS, leaving it in does not hurt anything. Removing it early WILL ruin the update.

The update process goes through at least two phases, first the Crashless feature, sometimes an Intel ME firmware update, and then the actual update. It takes several minutes, be patient, you should see the progress bar moving. Do not shut off the PC during any part of the update process. When the process is complete, you will be prompted to press Enter to continue. Do that and usually the PC will shut off and then start again. You'll be prompted to go into the BIOS and set any BIOS settings you use, since after the update ALL settings are now set to their defaults.

I don't suggest the Windows method, too many users tell us it does not work well and causes problems.

Quote Originally Posted by rclark View Post
    Hey Werder,
    Hmmm, I am going to let the seasoned guru techs takeover on this one. I am sot sure what the issue is, sounds like you definitely know what you are doing.
    Sit tight--someone will surely be able to advise you on this,
    take care--rc
    Hey rclark,

many thanks again for your effort!

Werderforever

Hey parsec,

I had done this in the last days, but nothing happened. No window, nothing...

Werderforever

parsec is offline Senior Member

aussiejhv, how is your mouse connected to the PC? Should be in a USB 2.0 port too. A multiple port USB hub connected to one of the USB 2.0 ports should let you connect the mouse and keyboard to the PC. Don't dismiss this, it really matters.

You said you had a corrupted BIOS, did you use the backup BIOS to recover from that? If so, did you set the BIOS switch back to the 'A' position, to use the main BIOS? The backup BIOS cannot be updated.

If you have a high CPU or memory OC, that might cause a problem. Go back to stock speeds for the update.

Werderforever, all of this also applies to you too. You must use a USB 2.0 port for the flash drive. If you get no list of the BIOS file, then your flash drive was not detected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information