Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Messed up my ram with xfast ram utility

Default Messed up my ram with xfast ram utility

I installed the xfast ram utility on pc which had 8gb of ram and allocating the max for a ram disk that the utility would let me,which was close to 4gb.. Here lies the problem,before undoing that process i uninstalled xfast ram and now of my 8gb of installed ram only 3.93 or something shows useable. Is there any way to correct this? P.S Tried doing a system restore back to 2 different points and both failed. Any help would be appreciated.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Messed up my ram with xfast ram utility

I've never dealt with this issue so just throwing ideas out there and one might work. You know now that you must first stop the RAM disk with the ASRock software before uninstalling the RAM disk software.

Questions, do you still see the RAM disk listed in Window Explorer as it normally is when created and used?

In Device Manager, the RAM disk is a device in the Storage Controllers section, is it still listed there as a device?

The ASRock RAM disk has a Windows service and process associated with it. If you start Task Manager and click More detail, and then check the Processes and the Services tabs, and look for entries that are for the RAM disk. One ASRock service called IOMonitorSrv is not for the RAM disk. If they exist that means the RAM disk is still being maintained by Windows. You could kill those processes, but they'll start again on a reboot. Check the Startup tab for RAM disk service entries, or if you use CCleaner, the Startup tool.

Speaking of CCleaner, RAM disk has registry entries. Would deleting them fix this problem?

I wonder what installing the RAM disk software would do now. Would it find the existing RAM disk and allow you to stop it to free up that memory? Don't know.

Thanks for the replies... Ccleaner only found leftover entries where i had xfast lan installed before and the drive E ramdisk is gone from explore and doesnt show in device manager either.. I tried the reinstall of xfast ram but it only see's the current useable amount of ram..... I guess i'll try reinstalling windows with the disk that came with the pc. The reinstall was just a last resort since it take a couple of days to get everything installed and back up to speed. Btw i've owned this pc for 5 years and the asrock mother board has never given me any problems,asrock is ok in my book.

Did you happen to try a BIOS clear? While I doubt that would make a difference since it is Windows that is stuck in this lost memory mode, it's a free and simple thing to do.

It would be interesting (well, for me at least... ) to remove one memory module, clear the BIOS, and then boot into Windows and see what you have for memory. Of course, that might really mess things up, at least for that boot.

While this is a pain for you, it is interesting and I'd just like to know what happened within Windows.

So you did not find the RAM disk process or service still running? Not a surprise if not, just curious.

I'm a bit surprised that the uninstall of XFast RAM actually seemed to clean up the registry, but that is a good thing.

Did you start the Windows Resource Monitor, from Control Panel, Administrative tools, and click the Memory tab, just to see if Windows really thinks that the ~4GB are not seen at all?

I recall that this RAM disk would appear in Disk Management, did you start that just to see what's there... probably nothing.

A reinstall of Windows will fix this of course, a small price (?) to pay, at least it's not a permanent problem. No idea what version you are using, but Windows 8 has two options to "Refresh" an installation, bringing it back to square one, and even keeping your personal files.

Good attitude not blaming ASRock, although I wish they would tell us if nothing can be done, or what could be done.

Here is an update people.. After the reinstall of windows 7 i still had the same problem...Of my 8gb only 3.93 was useable.. After that i powered of the machine and tried 1 stick of ram at a time as parsec suggested and both showed up as 4 gig the way they should,after trying both sticks seperatly i put them both back in and its now showing my full 8gb useable lol... So i guess either killing the power to the motherboard or removing the sticks from it cures this issue. Again thanks for the help parsec.

I thought i had the pc back lined out but ive ran into another snag i think.. Under ATA Channel 0 & ATA Channel 1 properties,advanced settings it doesnt show a target id or transfer mode.. Motherboard is a N68-VS3 FX and the drivers for both those channels are from microsoft.. I've googled around and couldnt find the correct drivers for it if it's a driver issue.. Again any help will be appreciated getting this pc back up to speed.
    Last edited by shadetree43; 01-15-2015 at 02:13 AM.

OMG I still wonder what was going on there. Glad that worked for you, wish I knew exactly why...

N68-VS3 FX... Nvidia chipset board... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Sorry, but you thought you had a problem with the RAM disk thing? Sorry, sorry, Nvidia chipsets can be a nightmare.

Did you do a new Windows installation anyway, or did you just notice that in Device Manager?

This board has two IDE ports, are the entries you listed for them or the SATA ports? I know it says "ATA Channel", but that could be PATA, which is IDE.

Since they are IDE ports, you won't see the same attributes as the SATA ports.

I did the clean install with the windows 7 home premium disk that came with the computer.. And the pc itself is a cheap ibuypower gaming pc(if u can call it a gaming pc lol) it had an nvidia 520 gt graphics card installed..As far as the ide/ata channels go, im not sure but i think it used to show the target id and mode where it is blank now... Computer is up and running alright now and i have the latest ge-force drivers installed from nvidia,smu drivers,storage controller drivers and ect from asrock's site with all of windows important updates to.....It just seems a little bit sluggish to me for running on the fresh install.. But maybe that's just me. Btw overclock mode in bios is set to auto. Also earlier today i noticed that in the bios the chipset settings for the vga adapter was set to pci, i changed it to pci express.. Was this wrong to do?
    Last edited by shadetree43; 01-15-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Thread Information