Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Case fan 100%

Default Case fan 100%

Hi there, I've never had an asrock mainboard before. I'm using my computer for games mainly. So I've set the the case speed as following: CPU 30° celcius 0% CPU 45° C 20% CPU 50° C 50% CPU 55° C 100% CPU 60° C critical everything works fine withing 30 to 60 degrees. But often it lowers 30 degress. My CPU temperature is often at 25° C or lower. Then, the case fan goes up to 100%. I don't know why. I also cannot set the rules for lower than 30°C. The BIOS Menu doesn't offer such an option. How can I solve the problem? Thank you in advance

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Case fan 100%

Interesting, what ASRock board are you using? All of them don't have the capability to control one or more of the chassis fans with the custom temperature and speed configuration. I'm sure your board does, but please tell us what board you have.

ASRock describes the custom temperature and fan speed settings like this:

Case fan 100%-asrock-fan-speed-config-jpg

According to the description on the right side of the screen, as long as the CPU temperature is below a specific setting, the fan speed will be adjusted to the same speed as the former one (the temperature it is below.) That means if the CPU temperature is less than the 30C you have it set to, the fan speed will be (should be) the same as it is at 30C. That is what you are expecting, and in my experience, is how it works. So you should not need to set a fan speed at a temperature below 30C, because the fan speed will be the same at 20C, 25C, etc, that it is at 30C.

But I have never used a 0% fan speed. Sorry but just checking, when the CPU temperature is between 30C and 39C, the chassis fan will be at 0RPM/not running, but if the CPU temperature goes below 30C (mine does that too) that chassis fan then runs at 100%, correct?

Since we don't know what board you have, I can't name the ASRock program (AXTU, F-Stream, A-Tuning) your board uses. Regardless, that program will have the FanTastic Tuning tool. FanTastic Tuning has a "Fan Test" button/feature, that (hopefully) calibrates the fan speed to various levels (0%, 10%, 20%, etc), that may be necessary to have the fan speed control working correctly. Did you run the Fan Test for that fan?

It's possible that there is a problem when using the 0% fan speed, but we don't know that yet. I'll try the 0% setting with one of my chassis fans and see what happens. I do have all my fans calibrated with the Fan Test feature.

Also, do you use whatever ASRock program your board has that I mentioned above? If you do, do you have it set to automatically run when Windows boots? If you do, whatever the fan speed settings in FanTastic Tuning are, they will be applied and override the BIOS settings. Normally the BIOS and FanTastic Tuning settings should be the same once they are applied in FanTastic Tuning.

Thank you for the reply, I am using a H87 Pro4. All my three chassis fans are plugged into the second chassis fan port on the mainboard. they work fine. Yes, I can confirm, if the temputure is increasing over 30 degrees, the fans stop. If it decreases again, they will run to 100% again. If already done several cpu buring tests and I was monitoring the temperature. All temperature rules work as expected except the initial problem lower 30 degrees. I don't have any asrock tool installed
    Attached Images Attached Images Case fan 100%-img_20150114_193643-jpg 

I tried setting a chassis fan to 0% with the first CPU temperature at 30C, and let the PC idle down to the mid 20s C. That chassis fan shut off just fine, not running at all. It is mounted on the front of the case and I can look at it without much trouble, and it was off below 30, and off below the next temperature I set, 40C.

I ran a stress test to get the CPU above 40C, which it did, to get that fan running... but it didn't start. CPU went to 60C, still did not start up.

So we have different situations, I won't call them issues for several reasons. The main one being, all fans are different, there are no standards about fan speeds, starting voltage, starting RPM, power usage, etc. Fan speed control on mother boards is not an easy thing to implement, even after years of experience, it still is a problem for most manufactures.

I read in forums quite often about how board manufacture X has "no fan speed control" on one of their latest boards (Z97), or how another manufacture's fan speed software is broken. Those are only partially true perceptions, but is usually based on the fans being used.

Now in your situation, you have three fans on one chassis fan header. What fan model(s) are they? All the same, all different? Next is the splitter cable you use, I assume a one - three connector fan splitter? Check the three connectors on the splitter that connect to the fans, do they all have three pins in them?

If they do, that is a poorly designed fan splitter. All three fans would be sending RPM/speed signals to the board, which is a mess and results in a false signal. If the three fans are not all the same, that complicates the situation with unpredictable results.

And I tought, RPM and PWM has already been a standard.

I am using these 120mm fans, you can see the 4pin connector in the pics in the reviews.
    I've plugged the first one onto the mainboard, using the 4pin plug. The second one is plugged with it's 4pin connector on the first one's 4pin splitter.
    And the third one is plugged on the seccond one's splitter.
    Last edited by loady; 01-16-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Britgeezer is offline Member

I'm not sure why you are using so many splitters. Maybe its terminology.

Your manual shows you have 2 CPU fan outputs. (1 - 4 pin, 1 -3pin)
    Chassis / power indicates 2 - 4pin and one 3 pin.

So why mount them all to one header location?

Per your details all your fans are 4 pin PWM, but at least 2 can be directly connected to the MB.

Try that and see if you need the 3rd, or if mounting to a 3 pin header gives you enough control.

Britgeezer, the fans the OP is using, the 120mm version of the fan in the link, has a special cable configuration that allows a multiple number these fans to be "daisy chained" together. This is done with their PST Cable, and the PST version of these fans. You can see this somewhat on this page, click on the Technical data tab if necessary, and scroll down a bit:

ARCTIC | F12 PWM PST CO | Japanese Dual Ball Bearing | Patented PWM Sharing Technology (PST) | High Airflow and static Pressure | Low Noise Impeller

loady, I don't have your board and fans, so can only guess about what is happening. Two things could be possible:

The PST cable used with three fans does not work well with your board's PWM signal when the fan speed is set to 0% for some reason.

Some "four pin" fan headers on mother boards are really not PWM controlled, they are regular voltage controlled headers. How voltage control would work with the PST cable and your fans, I'm not sure.

The best I can tell you is it is probably the combination of the three fans together on the four pin Chassis fan header that for some reason is not compatible. I was not sure if you were using all the same model of fans, which is why I talked about how fans have different electrical specs. Usually having all the same fans on a splitter of some kind works the best.

Britgeezer is offline Member

OK so with some education and the link from parsec, I see you should be able to operate all fans from one header. Since they are presumably all the same spec it should function as intended; however it doesn't.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the concept to vary all fans from the CPU header (call me old fashioned), the CPU will after all have fairly quick changes in temperature, certainly far more rapidly than the case. Maybe your case fans are perfectly aligned to move the hot air from the CPU HSF, maybe not.

Anyway, since you are having issues, why not connect the CPU fan directly to the CPU 4 pin PWM header. Then you can use the 4pin case fan header to power the splitter and run any other case fans.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 01-19-2015 at 05:16 AM.

Britgeezer, your suggestion about the fan connections are exactly what the OP is using now. Check post #3 for confirmation.

Obviously you aren't using the Custom setting for the Chassis Fan headers 2 and 3 on your Z97 Extreme 6 board, that can be set to vary its speed based on the CPU temperature. The OP's board has this option too. You said you don't care for that kind of speed variation for all the fans in a case, so you don't use and/or didn't bother to check that option.

What the OP's issue is, if the CPU temperature is less than 45C, then he does not want the three chassis fans running, their speed is set to 0 RPM in the UEFI configuration. That works to a degree, but when the CPU temperature dips below 30C, which is the lowest CPU temperature we can choose when configuring the Custom option, instead of staying at 0 RPM, the fans suddenly run at 100%, or at least near that. When the CPU temperature is between 30C and 45C, the fans stop running, 0 RPM as he configured.

My CPU cooler's fan is a PWM fan, I've used several different models since I've had this board. I use the 30C setting, and my CPU temperature drops below 30C at idle, but my PWM fans don't go crazy like his do.

Of course, I'm not using the 0 RPM speed option, or use the triple connected Arctic Cooling fans that the OP does.

It's really impossible for me to say if the ASRock fan speed control has a problem when set to 30C and 0 RPM and the CPU temp is less than 30C, or if the way the Arctic Cooling fan splitter is designed is the cause of the problem. Since my CPU fans have never acted that way under those circumstances, except I don't use the 0 RPM option, I tend to think it's the Arctic fan PST speed control that somehow is the cause.

Thread Information