Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer problems with XMP

MW|Defalt is offline Junior Member

Default ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer problems with XMP

This is my first post here so I first would like to say hi to everyone.

I conciser myself very experienced in overclocking and I usually manage to find workarounds certain issues, but this one is driving me crazy and have been trying to resolve it for two weeks straight with no obvious success. I have my rig specs in my profile, but for good measure I will say the relevant ones here again and after that state the problem.

Specs:
    - i7 5960X
    - ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer (BIOS 1.60)
    - 16GB (4x4) Geil Evo Potenza 3000MHz (Stock settings would be: 16-16-16-36-2T with 1.35V).

Issue:

I will start from the beginning. When I installed the RAM for the first time in the rig I went straight into the BIOS to check if it is recognized properly and it was. It was running at 1866MHz (what I presume is the "safe" value for any memory in the ASRock motherboard before activating XMP). I did not change anything in the BIOS, just exited it and proceeded with installing Windows on my RAID 0. While installing, the system randomly just showed a black screen. I thought I did something wrong and wanted to go back in the BIOS, but I got post code 6F. I rebooted the system and again - 6F. I cleared the CMOS, that worked... I arrived at the BIOS and and dialed what I think were operational settings for the RAM (not XMP 2.0), by using the first option in the provided graph - 2400MHz with standard timings 16-16-16-35-2T. The system booted, I installed Windows and everything was working fine.

I then quickly check the processors overclocking capabilities, without touching the RAM and I managed to get to 4.4GHz with 1.24V - perfect. After that I dialed the overclock back to stock settings ad proceeded with resolving the issue with the memory, but firstly I upgraded to the latest BIOS - 1.60 as I thought it is most probably an early BIOS problem. I dialed XMP 2.0 rebooted and before getting the post signal I got the 6F code again. I was forced to clear CMOS. After that I tried again and I was greeted with the same code 6F. Upon a second clear CMOS I enetered the BIOS and set the Command Rate of the memory form its default setting of 2T to 1T and attempted to boot - success! I got a post message and shortly thereafter I was in Windows. Everything was working fine. I did Windows updates and whatnot, everything seemed fine so I went to sleep.

I wake up and start the computer and I am greeted with post code A2 and after I reset the system I got the 6F code again... This baffled me completely... I cleared the CMOS for a third time and went back into the BIOS to do some tinkering. I pushed the System Agent Voltage to + 0.450 on the offset as I read somewhere on an other forum a reviewer having a similar issue on an ASRock board. That setting seemed to have worked, I booted to windows with the memory running XMP and 1T Command Rate. I checked with Memtest 86+ for 24h with the multi-thread optimization on and there were no memory errors at all. After I rebooted the system the computer attempted to start 2 times before eventually reaching the post message, but then when I was supposed to arrive in Windows I got a black screen with nothing on it. There was signal input, but no image at all. I restarted the rig and this time it worked. On the next morning after I attempted to boot I got the 6F code again... I then cleared the CMOS once more and backed the System Agent Voltage to an offset of 0.300, but that just made the problem worse. I have tried overclocking the processor and pumping 1.4V through the RAM to see if that stabilizes it, but it is still the same - sometimes it works and sometimes I get the 6F, which I can only get rid of by clearing the CMOS.

I have also tried to run XMP with a single stick and with two sticks and the probelm is still the same. I also forgot to mention that I have set the CPU and Cache ratios so they compensate the higher BCLK of 125 and still stay at 3GHz in order to mimize potential problems. The BCLK Ratio is to set to 125.

Now I an using the RAM at the only setting that it actually works fine on - 2400MHz 16-16-16-35-2T with 1.2V. When I try some other setting, it seems to work fine, but after a couple of restarts it posts code A2, followed by 6F upon the next reboot or just 6F from the beginning.

PS: All of the above mentioned information leads me thinking that this is not a memory related issue per se, but more to do with the way the BIOS checks for the RAM and the settings before booting, especially once the system was shut down as by only doing a restart the problem does not seem to occur, if you have before managed to get into Windows.

Any answers or suggestions on how I can get the memory to run properly are welcome!
    Last edited by MW|Defalt; 01-15-2015 at 02:14 AM.

MW|Defalt is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer problems with XMP

No one, really?

harleyman is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer problems with XMP

This would be a great place for ASRock peeps to show up...

Thread Information