Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer - Does not have support for ECC

Default ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer - Does not have support for ECC

The board does not have support for ECC

It's paired with a Xeon 1650v3, also 4x8GB ECC sticks from Crucial (CT4K8G4RFS4213).
    But running hwinfo, memtest86 etc, says ECC is disabled.
    No were in the UEFI bios can i find the any option to enable ECC either.

So where is the ECC support?

Board is slow to start, running through this dr. debug.

Should I just return the board?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer - Does not have support for ECC

It seems you've never used ECC memory before.

ECC is not an option in the UEFI/BIOS that can be enabled or disabled, it is an attribute or feature of a type of memory.

Error correction occurs within the memory module before data is sent out for use. The data being fixed became corrupted in the memory module itself.

Support for ECC memory is in the CPU and chipset in your system. In your Xeon CPU it is really the memory controller that must support the internal technical needs of ECC memory, that are different than standard memory. A memory controller either has those things or it doesn't. If the memory controller does not support ECC memory, the memory won't work, or at best the ECC function won't work.

Beyond that, in the memory controller and chipset, ECC support is mainly limited to receiving an error message from ECC memory that there was a data error that it could not correct. The memory controller and chipset can then route this error message through various interfaces for use.

There are many kinds of error correction techniques and operations that are embedded in data transmission and storage systems, and are always active because they need to be. From parity codes to network data packet error data reconstruction, data is checked and repaired if possible all the time. Due to its cost and questionable worth in most consumer PCs, ECC memory is not a standard part of the data error correction functions in our PCs.

How do you know if ECC memory is working, is active or "on"? How do we know that any error correction function is operating? We don't.

While I like HWiNFO, IMO the ECC flag it sets just checks the memory modules somehow for ECC support. Has it been updated yet for DDR4 ECC memory? HWiNFO tells me that all my Intel chipsets do not support RAID, but at the same time clearly lists each RAID array and type correctly. Nothing is perfect.

The memtest86 result I would wonder about, but again is it updated to deal with DDR4 ECC memory? If not you can't trust it.

If we assume that memtest86 can detect ECC memory, and tell us that it does not detect it, does that mean the memory itself is not ECC, or that the CPU, chipset, or board is not supporting ECC memory? Did you ask Crucial about this?

It would be great if there was some kind of indicator that a board has that at least told us the memory we had installed was ECC memory, but I'm not aware of that on any consumer PC board. That does not mean it doesn't exist.

SandsOfTime is offline Member

@parsec:

A while ago I had this ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 mobo, which could handle ECC RAM, and there was an option in BIOS to enable/disable and to configure ECC:

ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer - Does not have support for ECC-eccbios-png

Of course, it was a mobo for AMD cpu's. I don't have any experience with ECC on Intel mobos yet.
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Thanks for the reply.

You're right that I have never built or used a system with ECC before. I was sort of frustrated after trying to find out if it was enabled or not. I seems you're right that it's hard to know if ECC is turned on or not.
    I tried to dig up some info, and it seems that it's like you said about HWiNFO and Memtest86 not having been updated for DDR4 ECC yet.

According to the technical information from Memtest86(dot)org - "Attempted preliminary DDR4 support. But as of Dec 2013 we are having problems sourcing DDR4 RAM to test with, so it probalby won't work. We'll be revisting this in V6."
    I guess HWiNFO is having the same issue here.

Anyways, thanks for explaining it for me. :)

SandsOfTime is offline Member

You could also try out AIDA64.
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

parsec is offline Senior Member

SandsOfTime, thanks for posting the info about that AMD board. I was worried that I would miss something like that since I've never used every board out there, of course. Plus I knew I could inspire someone to post that info if it existed... yeah, that's why I did that...

mozaix, while most of what I wrote is true, finding information about this topic is difficult. I searched through the Intel X99/C610 and Xeon 1650 v3 datasheets, and they had very, very little information about ECC memory use. Nothing about enabling or disabling it or configuration options. If you bought ECC memory, you want it to work, so why not have it working by default. Still if would be nice to know that your board acknowledges the ECC memory and it is operating, right?

On your board's main BIOS screen that shows system info, is anything shown about ECC memory? If you go through the DRAM configuration screen options, is there anything about ECC?

There was a thread in this forum last year that asked how do you confirm that ECC memory was working. Not just that the board saw it and the ECC correction was being done, but if any error corrections had occurred. Even less information about that could be found.

I've noticed that most ASRock boards tend to be a little slim on BIOS options compared to other manufactures. Other makes of X99 boards may have options for ECC memory, plus as usual I imagine there is nothing in your board's manual explaining how you use ECC memory besides connecting it to the board.

Thread Information