Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.

WillyG is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.

Got to love they way ASROCK did the windows only update thing with some boards.
    I went around with that deal.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.

Quote Originally Posted by TweakedByASROCK View Post
    Is the firmware corrupted? Under windows (admin user, but I don't remember if UAC popped up) it completed and then rebooted. I think the problem is Windows crashing during boot up.

Vendor says it's Windows. ASROCK support got back:

Another user got (multiple?) chips sent out, no success.

I am able to get into the menus and use Instant Flash. I re-flashed it, using 2.10 ROM version that I found via a trick I explained in my other post to this forum. No worked.
    There have been several ASRock board users that had this issue, and it was fixed with a new BIOS chip. The threads are in this forum.

I don't understand what you mean by the part in bold above, ASROCK support got back:, and then a quote from me, where is that from?

You probably have a corrupted ME firmware, but I don't know exactly what you did with the first and other BIOS updates. If Windows crashed during booting, that could be the reason, but we don't know the details of the Windows BIOS update version of the special update.

I don't know why the 2.10 Instant Flash version you found did not work... as you said in your other thread, use at your own risk.

Only the ASRock P67 boards use the Windows BIOS update method for the SB to IVB BIOS update, all their Z68 boards have Instant Flash versions.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by the part in bold above, ASROCK support got back:, and then a quote from me, where is that from?
    Sorry the actual text is what ASROCK said in reply, ignore your username - formatting error.

Please read what ASROCK said:
    Dear customer,
    Thank you for the query.
    About the boot issue, because of the ME version update, Intel ME changes the boot behavior of Windows 8.
    Please use the Windows 8 CD or another media source to repair your system.
    And please be noted that BIOS P2.10 can support both SandyBridge and IvyBridge CPU.

ASROCK are implying it is a problem with Windows that can be repaired. In other words changes need to be made to the data on the hard drive only as my Windows install is no longer compatible with the hardware.

You probably have a corrupted ME firmware, but I don't know exactly what you did with the first and other BIOS updates.
    I ran the windows update from within Windows. The process completed seemingly fine. However Windows crashes when booting up briefly giving an unreadable Win 8 error screen and rebooting into repair mode which can't fix anything.

If Windows crashed during booting, that could be the reason, but we don't know the details of the Windows BIOS update version of the special update.
    Why? Are you saying that windows changes the firmware during the next boot?

I don't know why the 2.10 Instant Flash version you found did not work... as you said in your other thread, use at your own risk.

Only the ASRock P67 boards use the Windows BIOS update method for the SB to IVB BIOS update, all their Z68 boards have Instant Flash versions.
    I didn't say it didn't work, it just didn't resolve the problem. I don't know if I have a corrupted firmware at all. The original flashing with the EXE completed, but Windows crashes now during boot up. The ROM version completed too, Windows still won't boot.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Ok, that quote was from ASRock, I kinda thought so. No problem.

I only said that the crash during boot could be the problem since the Instant Flash update method does update the ME firmware during the next boot, according to ASRock. No information about that either way for the Windows update method.

I've had problems with Windows 8 failing to repair itself, unrelated to this issue.

Corrupted ME firmware is the main, known problem with this special BIOS update, so is what I assume has happened. For whatever reason, once the first attempt to change to the SB to IVB BIOS update fails (given that it did fail), further attempts to run it also seem to fail. That is what everyone that has posted in this forum about this problem tells us happens, and is the most I can tell you about this situation.

Are you familiar with the Windows 8 refresh feature? I know you can't boot it now, but this option should be available from the installation disk. It resets the Windows 8 installation to supposedly a fresh state, and has an option to keep all your personal files, but you will need to install software again and drivers.

Do you have an SSD oder something and set your Controller to AHCI before Windows Installation? A windows update resets the settings and that could be the reason why Windows doesnt boot. You would have to change that option to AHCI again.

Quote Originally Posted by relyyy View Post
    Do you have an SSD oder something and set your Controller to AHCI before Windows Installation? A windows update resets the settings and that could be the reason why Windows doesnt boot. You would have to change that option to AHCI again.
    Thanks, haven't tried it.

I used to have a problem that meant I used to reset the CMOS frequently. Therefore everything was default except fans speeds...

Reinstalled Win 8. Seems OK.

Here is the deal:

My experience in a nutshell: P67 Extreme 6, SandyBridge 2600K, old firmware (1.60). Only Win installer for 2.10 available. Run it in Windows, OK. Reboot, Win 8 crashes, is FUBAR, can't repair itself. Booting normally causes the new blue error restart screen to briefly display a message I can't read. Days of confusion, seems like a new MB needed. ASROCK tell me to get Windows media and repair, they were vague. They assert 2.10 works with both SandyBridge and Ivy Bridge and I don't need the old firmware or a new BIOS(UEFI) chip. I discovered that a Ubuntu live USB would boot fine. An old Windows install would boot in safe mode, but crash in normal mode after logging in. Win 8.1 could not refresh itself, so I did a clean install. Rock solid so far tonight.

Conclusion: Win 8.1 (8 upgraded to 8.10) may not be able to update the Intel ME drivers and/or crashes during boot.

I think the sticky on the top of the forum is flawed, and I have started a new thread about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information