Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    13

    Default Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.

    For my MB - P67 Extreme6 - there is only 2.10 BIOS on website.

    Today, fed up with crummy BIOS, I checked for the update.
    - Adds Ivy Bridge support
    - Breaks SandyBridge - per the post on this forum - 'IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards'
    - Only Win BIOS updater 2.10 on site.
    - Site says you cannot downgrade.
    - Ran Windows updater, no issues with removing USB etc., UEFI comes up, laugh at JPEG artefacts in the icons, try to boot Windows.
    - Windows won't boot, but I can access UEFI menus.
    - Maybe I could use Instant Flash to downgrade.
    - This site is in Google results, so I register as TweakedByASROCK
    - I might be able to get my old 1.6 BIOS off the hard drive, but that poses logistical problems that I could overcome tomorrow. It's late.



    1. What was the last good version for P67 Extreme6?
    2. What was the last Instant Flash version for P67 Extreme6?
    3. Can I downgrade assuming I find a suitable firmware version?


    Is the situation hopeless without a new firmware chip?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.

    I got the same Problem with my P67 Pro3. A new Bioschip didnt help me. Still stuck at this Problem...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.

    Quote Originally Posted by relyyy View Post
    I got the same Problem with my P67 Pro3. A new Bioschip didnt help me. Still stuck at this Problem...
    Are you using SandyBridge? What firmware version did they send you?

    Did you pay for the chip?

    Wow. Are ASROCK one of the worst MB companies? The are big(ish) name in the market place. I've always regretted this purchase.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.

    Quote Originally Posted by TweakedByASROCK View Post
    Are you using SandyBridge? What firmware version did they send you?

    Did you pay for the chip?

    Wow. Are ASROCK one of the worst MB companies? The are big(ish) name in the market place. I've always regretted this purchase.
    Yes, iam using Sandy Bridge. They send me the newest (3.3 for me). I didnt ;)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.

    Quote Originally Posted by relyyy View Post
    Yes, iam using Sandy Bridge. They send me the newest (3.3 for me). I didnt ;)
    That is weird. Surely you would need an older BIOS - the newest is the one causing the problem?

    Was it free or how much did it cost you?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.

    Quote Originally Posted by TweakedByASROCK View Post
    That is weird. Surely you would need an older BIOS - the newest is the one causing the problem?

    Was it free or how much did it cost you?
    Already tried an older one, no success. I tried all the "new" ones from 3.1 to 3.3 - none works for me.

    It was free.

  7. #7
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.

    Quote Originally Posted by TweakedByASROCK View Post
    For my MB - P67 Extreme6 - there is only 2.10 BIOS on website.

    Today, fed up with crummy BIOS, I checked for the update.
    - Adds Ivy Bridge support
    - Breaks SandyBridge - per the post on this forum - 'IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards'
    - Only Win BIOS updater 2.10 on site.
    - Site says you cannot downgrade.
    - Ran Windows updater, no issues with removing USB etc., UEFI comes up, laugh at JPEG artefacts in the icons, try to boot Windows.
    - Windows won't boot, but I can access UEFI menus.
    - Maybe I could use Instant Flash to downgrade.
    - This site is in Google results, so I register as TweakedByASROCK
    - I might be able to get my old 1.6 BIOS off the hard drive, but that poses logistical problems that I could overcome tomorrow. It's late.



    1. What was the last good version for P67 Extreme6?
    2. What was the last Instant Flash version for P67 Extreme6?
    3. Can I downgrade assuming I find a suitable firmware version?


    Is the situation hopeless without a new firmware chip?

    Thanks.
    No, it doesn't break Sandy Bridge, as long as you do the SB to IVB BIOS update correctly. That is very simple, use Instant Flash and do NOT remove the USB flash drive that has the BIOS file on it until Windows COMPLETELY boots to the desktop. While Windows is booting, the Intel IME firmware is being updated, which is really the CRITICAL step in this BIOS update.

    You then must update the version of the Intel IME software on your board to match the new firmware. Yes, the instructions from ASRock are not good, I've seen a good version but it's in the FAQ section and not on each affected board's page.

    Yes, a botched/skipped SB to IVB BIOS update always requires a new BIOS chip, never saw a case that didn't.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    No, it doesn't break Sandy Bridge, as long as you do the SB to IVB BIOS update correctly. That is very simple, use Instant Flash and do NOT remove the USB flash drive that has the BIOS file on it until Windows COMPLETELY boots to the desktop. While Windows is booting, the Intel IME firmware is being updated, which is really the CRITICAL step in this BIOS update.

    You then must update the version of the Intel IME software on your board to match the new firmware. Yes, the instructions from ASRock are not good, I've seen a good version but it's in the FAQ section and not on each affected board's page.

    Yes, a botched/skipped SB to IVB BIOS update always requires a new BIOS chip, never saw a case that didn't.
    This is not applicable in my situation. There was no Instant Flash version. Only one Windows flash version listed on the site. There is no USB drive. You just run the Windows updater in Windows.

  9. #9
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.

    Oh wonderful, I keep forgetting some of the older boards have this update only in the Windows version. You mentioned Instant Flash in your first post...

    Once you update to 2.10 you cannot use older BIOS versions, which is why ASRock removed the older BIOS versions.

    If you ran the Windows BIOS update from the USB drive, that can cause problems. The update program must be copied to the OS drive and run from their as Admin.

    Regardless, if you have a corrupted update to 2.10, a new BIOS chip is the only fix we've ever seen work. You can try doing a BIOS clear and hope for the best.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Any fix to nightmare problem described at the top of this forum? [P67 Extreme6] - firmware on site only for Ivy Bridge, Breaks SandyBridge.

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Regardless, if you have a corrupted update to 2.10, a new BIOS chip is the only fix we've ever seen work. You can try doing a BIOS clear and hope for the best.
    Is the firmware corrupted? Under windows (admin user, but I don't remember if UAC popped up) it completed and then rebooted. I think the problem is Windows crashing during boot up.

    Vendor says it's Windows. ASROCK support got back:
    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    About the boot issue, because of the ME version update, Intel ME changes the boot behavior of Windows 8.
    Please use the Windows 8 CD or another media source to repair your system.
    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    And please be noted that BIOS P2.10 can support both SandyBridge and IvyBridge CPU.


    Another user got (multiple?) chips sent out, no success.

    I am able to get into the menus and use Instant Flash. I re-flashed it, using 2.10 ROM version that I found via a trick I explained in my other post to this forum. No
    worked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •