Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z97 Extreme6/ac infinite reboot loop problem

Unhappy Re: Z97 Extreme6/ac infinite reboot loop problem

Thanks for the reply parsec. I tried some of the things you've suggested this morning and also let me try to answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post

I don't understand how you overwrote the backup 'B' BIOS. You need to verify what BIOS chip you are actually using currently.
    I did this when I was in the BIOS using the secure backup from A -->B. I accidentally clicked on it and it did not ask me to confirm so I let it copy. I used instant flash using USB to revert back to version 1.1 this morning but that did not fix my issue.

IMO, if you can run the PC for 30 minutes in the BIOS fine, that does not seem like the board is definitely bad.
    I am kind of agreeing with that statement. When in BIOS everything seems to be working fine. I am now leaning more and more to a faulty power supply. But I have no spare power supply to check this.

I'm wondering about your SSD. For a test you could try at least starting the Windows installation with one of your HDDs, and see how it goes.
    I used all 3 hdd's that I have in spare (2ssd, 1 mechanical) as a boot drive but did not resolve the issue.

I'm also wondering about your Windows installation disk. If you tried to use it to repair Windows, meaning you booted from the disk, and the PC still rebooted, I wonder if the disk is bad.
    The first time around the OS installed fine from the disk so I am not sure if CD is the issue. Also, the rebooting is not always at the exact same point in installation. Sometimes I can go further. The system will load the installation files and after that sometimes it will reboot immediately, sometimes it gets into the initial settings screen (time zone, etc.) and hang, or sometimes it would let me start installation and reboot within a few seconds.

Also I am not using the PCIE video. I am using onboard VGA and only one memory stick (which I switched just to check as well).

Also, what SATA ports are you using, there are two SATA chips on your board, the Intel and ASMedia. With the board mounted in a PC case, the four SATA ports at the top of the stack of ports are the ASMedia ports. The six Intel SATA ports below them are more stable and offer better performance, if you happen to be using the ASMedia ports, switch to the Intel ports.
    I switched the boot drive as well as the DVD player to the Intel ports but that did not resolve the issue.

At this point I am leaning more towards PS for the source of trouble. Only if I could verify that. Any other suggestions? Otherwise I'll have to RMA it.

Unhappy Re: Z97 Extreme6/ac infinite reboot loop problem

Quote Originally Posted by Britgeezer View Post
    Sorry, I specified it in a different thread.

Set CMOS clear jumper.
    Remove CMOS battery
    Go for at least coffee, or better leave several hours.
    Replace battery.
    Remove jumper.

Attempt reboot and cross fingers... assuming you boot and can get to BIOS set to default and save and only then try to configure , step by step.
    I tried this but it did not resolve the issue.

Britgeezer is offline Member

Default Re: Z97 Extreme6/ac infinite reboot loop problem

Do you have a friend that can loan you a PSU for a few hours?

I managed to get my hands on a new power supply and seems like this was the issue. At this point, Windows is installed fine and I am installing the drivers. First time around I managed to get this far as well, so still crossing fingers. I will update again with a summary if all goes well for a couple of days.

Britgeezer is offline Member

Great

I have almost a complete PC as spare parts for testing/ troubleshooting; but then in the house I have 4 pc's and various laptops to support.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information