Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z97 Extreme6/ac infinite reboot loop problem

Default Z97 Extreme6/ac infinite reboot loop problem

Hi everyone,

I am having a bizarre issue that Iíve not come across before so I am looking for some wisdom. Last week I got some new parts to put together a computer. Here is the list of components:

I7 4790k
    Z97 Extreme6/ac
    GSkill Trident X (2x8gb)
    Crucial mx100 ssd
    Corsair H110 water cooler

All the remaining parts including the power supply (850W) are from my previous built. I put them all in a Fractal design Define R4 case. All installed well at the start, I used my old radeon 6950 card. Everthing boot up well. Bios recognized everything. I installed Win7 without a problem. Then I started installing drivers and utilities one by one. I updated the bios to the newest version the tool suggested. Then I installed 2 more hard drives for storage. They were all recognized. I connected to internet, and downloaded the latest drivers for some of the hardware and installed them all. Then I shut down the machine to go grab some lunch. That was the last time all was good.

I got back powered up, passed bios, started loading windows and as it was going into windows computer rebooted itself. The next 5 minutes or so I watched my computer do that over and over again, then I went into bios checked the settings. There was no change, everything seemed to be in order. No issues with CPU or MB temps even after 30mins in bios. So the only thing I can access was the bios at this point. I booted from windows CD with the hopes of repairing the OS if something was massed up but the computer always ended up rebooting. Then I took parts off one by one with the same result. Occasionally I got blank screen on reboot. I decided to trace back my steps. I removed all the drives. I formatted the drive that had the operating system on a different machine and put it back to do a clean install. It got weirder. Now, after the installation files are loaded from the windows disk (before the actual installation starts, you know, the screen where it asks you the time zone, language, etc.) the computer reboots again. There is nothing on the SSD which is the only connected drive. If I leave it, it would reboot at the same step (right after loading the files from CD and getting into Windows).

So this is where I stand, I am thinking about RMAíing the mobo. As a last gasp I just wanted to ask and see if anyone had similar issues or may know what to do. I am all ears and would also welcome any extra questions. Thanks in advance even for reading my problem.

Britgeezer is offline Member

Default Re: Z97 Extreme6/ac infinite reboot loop problem

Can we assume you tried reset of the BIOS? Try default settings and gradually add options back.

Yes, I did reset the bios. But I don't think that it takes me back to the previous version of bios. It just resets to default values. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Khato View Post
    Yes, I did reset the bios. But I don't think that it takes me back to the previous version of bios. It just resets to default values. Right?
    Correct, but to a point. It removes your settings, but you still should set to default to clear any strange settings.
    My suggested method (different from a momentary reset) has been known to fix many BIOS issues.

If you want to revert BIOS version (I didn't check if this MB has back up BIOS like some MB's I use) then you first need to get this one to work.

Yes, I did reset the bios to its default values from within bios as well as from the reset button from the back of the mobo. The board have 2 bioses but accidentally copied the current version to the other. I wonder if reverting the bios to a previous version would help and also if I can do this using usb drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Khato View Post
    I wonder if reverting the bios to a previous version would help and also if I can do this using usb drive.
    I don't know how you revert to a previous BIOS if you overwrote the back up, that's why my focus was fixing the existing one.

Thanks for following up Britgeezer

Quote Originally Posted by Britgeezer View Post
    My suggested method (different from a momentary reset) has been known to fix many BIOS issues.
    What is your suggestion?

Sorry, I specified it in a different thread.

Set CMOS clear jumper.
    Remove CMOS battery
    Go for at least coffee, or better leave several hours.
    Replace battery.
    Remove jumper.

Attempt reboot and cross fingers... assuming you boot and can get to BIOS set to default and save and only then try to configure , step by step.

Ok, thanks. Will do first thing tomorrow and let you know.

parsec is offline Senior Member

You can't over write the backup BIOS, or at least that is not supposed to be possible. When you switch to the 'B' backup BIOS and start the PC, you then go into the BIOS and use the Secure Backup UEFI function in Tools to copy the backup BIOS to the main BIOS. They you must shutdown and remove power from the PC, and switch the BIOS switch back to the main 'A' BIOS. Otherwise you are still using the B BIOS.

I don't understand how you overwrote the backup 'B' BIOS. You need to verify what BIOS chip you are actually using currently.

There are BIOS indicator LEDs on the board which show which BIOS is currently in use.

Since your board only has two BIOS versions, and the backup BIOS should be the first version, 1.10, if you completed the BIOS restore process, you should be using BIOS 1.10 now.

You can also flash to an earlier version of the BIOS by simply having it on a USB flash drive and using Instant Flash, downloaded from here:

ASRock > Z97 Extreme6/ac

What method did you use to update the BIOS, Instant Flash, DOS, or WIndows?

IMO, if you can run the PC for 30 minutes in the BIOS fine, that does not seem like the board is definitely bad. I'm wondering about your SSD. For a test you could try at least starting the Windows installation with one of your HDDs, and see how it goes.

I'm also wondering about your Windows installation disk. If you tried to use it to repair Windows, meaning you booted from the disk, and the PC still rebooted, I wonder if the disk is bad.

Also, what SATA ports are you using, there are two SATA chips on your board, the Intel and ASMedia. With the board mounted in a PC case, the four SATA ports at the top of the stack of ports are the ASMedia ports. The six Intel SATA ports below them are more stable and offer better performance, if you happen to be using the ASMedia ports, switch to the Intel ports.

What BIOS options are you changing from defaults, if any?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information