Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: B75 motherboard will not power up with fan controller plugged in

woyote_coyote33 is offline Junior Member

Default B75 motherboard will not power up with fan controller plugged in

I recently built a computer and am experiencing some issues with the fans. I have connected the chassis fans of the Azza Hurrican 2000R ATX Full Tower case to the XFX TS Series P1550SXXB9 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V power supply using the 12 volt power connector cables from the power supply. However, when I plug the fan controller lead from the power supply cable into the chassis fan connector (CHA_FAN1) port of the ASRock B75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 motherboard, the machine will not power up at all. When the fans are connected only to the power supply cable and the controller is left unplugged, the computer turns on and runs normally, except the fans are of course constantly running at full speed. We have built 2 identical systems, both have the same issue, which suggests the problem is not a bad component. Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: B75 motherboard will not power up with fan controller plugged in

Quote Originally Posted by woyote_coyote33 View Post
    I recently built a computer and am experiencing some issues with the fans. I have connected the chassis fans of the Azza Hurrican 2000R ATX Full Tower case to the XFX TS Series P1550SXXB9 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V power supply using the 12 volt power connector cables from the power supply. However, when I plug the fan controller lead from the power supply cable into the chassis fan connector (CHA_FAN1) port of the ASRock B75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 motherboard, the machine will not power up at all. When the fans are connected only to the power supply cable and the controller is left unplugged, the computer turns on and runs normally, except the fans are of course constantly running at full speed. We have built 2 identical systems, both have the same issue, which suggests the problem is not a bad component. Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated.
    If you really did what you wrote, which I still don't really understand, I'm not surprised the PC does not boot. Do NOT continue to connect anything to any of the fan connectors on the board, except for fans!!

It sounds like you are trying to connect power to the chassis fan connector, which is just plain wrong. All fan connectors on a mother board are power outputs, 12V @ 1 Amp max, to run fans.

If your case has a fan controller (terrible manual) or a switch for the fans, it must have a power input to the fan controller, and power output connections for the fans. If you are connecting the power output of the fan controller into a mother board fan connector, which is a power output connector, how can that possibly work?

The fan connectors on any mother board are controlled by BIOS options, and software that runs in Windows. That cannot be controlled by an external fan controller.

Thread Information