Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: asrock M8 maximum graphics card

anothadave is offline Junior Member

Default asrock M8 maximum graphics card

ive recently purchased the asrock m8. its the z87 version with the 450watt psu. im deciding which graphics card to buy and ive seen some conflicting information. some say that the maximum TDP of the card is 200watts. but others say it is now 270watts. im considering buying a GTX 770 which is 230watts. would that be ok?

thanks.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: asrock M8 maximum graphics card

The maximum video card TDP spec for your m8 is 270W, that from the ASRock information page:

M8 Series - ASRock Inc.

The TDP of a standard GTX 770 is 230W, so that would fit the spec.

Beyond that, this m8 has a 450W PSU, which ASRock expects to run up to GTX 9xx series cards. That is rather... hopeful IMO, given what the manufacture of a GTX 770 recommends:

GeForce GTX 770 | Specifications | GeForce

The CPU you will be using will also be a factor, if that PSU will be enough for the entire PC.

thats where i saw the 270watt information. i think they changed it from the original 200watt thats in the manual. and all the original reviews quote it as 200w tdp. i suppose i was a little concerned that they updated the wrong page when the newer m8 with the 600w psu came out. unless they realised that the 450w psu could cope with more than they originally thought.

the new gtx 9xx series should work easily since theyre half the power of the 7xx series. the 960 is only 120watts. i was intending to buy one of those but the gtx 770 is much cheaper and easily matches the gtx 960.

i picked an i5 4570s which is 64w so that shouldnt really be a concern.

i think i might go for a gtx 760 to be on the safe side and wait for a drop in price for the 9xx series.

anyone got a gtx 680 in the m8? lol. 195w tdp so theorectically within even the lower quoted figures..

Thread Information