Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASROCK Z97 OC Not Detecting SSD & HDD

npayto1 is offline Junior Member

Default ASROCK Z97 OC Not Detecting SSD & HDD

I've recently built a new computer and I can't even get Windows 7 OS installed due to the "No drives were found. Click load driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation" message. For some reason even in bios, the Z97 OC MB isn't detecting neither my HDD or SDD. I checked the SATA connections and even plugged the hard drives into different Sata ports and they are still not recognized. Any suggestions on how I can trouble shoot this in order to install Windows 7 on my SSD? Thanks

ASRock Z97 OC Formula

Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell
    G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 2.5" 256GB SATA III
    Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB
    CM Storm Stryker
    GeForce GTX 970

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASROCK Z97 OC Not Detecting SSD & HDD

The drives are not shown in the BIOS, where? Storage Configuration screen? Boot screen? Tools - System Browser?

You are installing Win 7 via optical disk? USB flash drive?

I have seen new out of the box SSDs not being recognized on another ASRock board the first time they were connected. It took a restart or two before they were recognized, for some reason.

If you had any of the drives connected to the ASMedia SATA controller, the two SATA ports at the "top" of the stack of ports as seen mounted in a case, they would need a driver before they would work correctly. But you said you tried different SATA ports, so you probably tried one of the Intel SATA ports that are below the ASMedia ports. The Intel ports won't need a driver.

The Storage Configuration screen has an option to enable/disable the SATA controllers. That should be enabled by default, but worth a check. In the same screen, disable Aggressive SATA Link Power Management if it is enabled.

The Intel SATA controller mode should be AHCI, or set to RAID if you plan to use that later. The ASMedia SATA controller is inferior to the Intel SATA controller, I would not use the ASMedia for an OS drive, particularly with an SSD.

The multiple storage drive interfaces this board supports adds a few options to the Storage Configuration screen. Check that they are on Auto which should be the safest setting and keep the Intel SATA ports available.

You aren't using the HDD Saver feature/power cable on those drives, are you?

I would double check the SATA power connections to the drives, and try different data cables.

npayto1 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASROCK Z97 OC Not Detecting SSD & HDD

The drives aren't showing anywhere, not the storage config screen, boot screen, nor system browser.. I just read reviews for the HDD that I bought and some of them have been DOA, so that could possibly explain that but as far as the SSD goes i'm still confused. I went through and made sure everything was enabled and disabled that you said to.

I am installing windows 7 through an external optical drive and I'm not using the HDD saver with the HDD.. I doubled and triple checked the connections, even moved my graphics card to another slot to get a better connection and ability to switch the cables to different SATA ports better in order to trouble shoot.

Might go try and buy another SATA cable tomorrow and see if that does anything.

Thanks very much for your help, this is my first build and it went smooth until this part when I went to install windows 7 and these hard drives not being recognized.

Thread Information