Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does ASrock H97 Performance support Asus STRIX 960 GTX?

Default Does ASrock H97 Performance support Asus STRIX 960 GTX?

Simple question but I just bought a 960 gtx and installed to my computer and it beeped 3 times, I did everything that I could, reset CMOS, take off battery, take GPU off and put it back, try different ram slost but no.

I found out that the problem was in my motherboard or my BIOS that it won't let me boot with that card, works fine with my friends computer, and I use 660 gtx that works fine in this computer.

I was looking to buy a new motherboard on a new build and I don't want to make the same mistakes again.

EDIT: ops if I posted in the wrong section, which I guess should be "ASRock (Intel boards)" ??

EDIT2 30.1.2015: I'm sorry guys but I didn't tell you that i'm using an H67 Pegatron motherboard at the moment with HP bios 7.15. I asked if the ASRock H97 performance would support 960 gtx, because I have been thinking about buying a new build that has the ASrock H97 performance motherboard.
    Last edited by ProJapeHD; 01-31-2015 at 03:03 AM.

Jimmy Jump is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Does ASrock H97 Performance support Asus STRIX 960 GTX?

Quote Originally Posted by ProJapeHD View Post
    Simple question but I just bought a 960 gtx and installed to my computer and it beeped 3 times, I did everything that I could, reset CMOS, take off battery, take GPU off and put it back, try different ram slost but no.

I found out that the problem was in my motherboard or my BIOS that it won't let me boot with that card, works fine with my friends computer, and I use 660 gtx that works fine in this computer.

I was looking to buy a new motherboard on a new build and I don't want to make the same mistakes again.

EDIT: ops if I posted in the wrong section, which I guess should be "ASRock (Intel boards)" ??
    It's a Fatal1ty mainboard, aimed at gamers, so I suppose that your 960GTX should work...
    Have you tried the 960 with an extra MOLEX-plug connected to the mainboard (just above the PCIe1 slot)?

Thank you for your quick reply, no my powersupply is from a retail computer. It's 465w I guess and has only 1 6-pin PCie, other connectors are only for powering hard drives.

Here's a link to the topic from the HP forums that gave me the answer for 960 gtx not working in my computer:

Re: New Graphics Card Asus STRIX 960 gtx, 3 beeps. - HP Support Forum - 4856809

EDIT: I quote "The reality is that there is no a guarantee that any particular graphics card will work in any particular PC even if the graphics card works in other PCs or even the same or similar model PCs. Know what the return policy is before you buy."

this is why i'm so afraid of buying new things, so I need to ask for people some advice.
    Last edited by ProJapeHD; 01-30-2015 at 02:41 AM.

Thank you for your quick reply, no my powersupply is from a retail computer. It's 465w I guess and has only 1 6-pin PCie, other connectors are only for powering hard drives.

Here's a link to the topic from the HP forums that gave me the answer for 960 gtx not working in my computer:

Re: New Graphics Card Asus STRIX 960 gtx, 3 beeps. - HP Support Forum - 4856809
    The power connector on the motherboard is a MOLEX one (like for older hard drives and somesuch) to give more power to the PCIe lanes. A PCIe slot normally gives 75 watt max, while a 6-pin PCIe plug for a videocard also gives 75watt. An 8-pin plug gives 150watt...
    I would have found it strange that the card wouldn't have gotten enough power through the PCIe slot and the extra cable, but a card not working on a certain board is even weirder. And it sucks big-time, too :(

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jump View Post
    The power connector on the motherboard is a MOLEX one (like for older hard drives and somesuch) to give more power to the PCIe lanes. A PCIe slot normally gives 75 watt max, while a 6-pin PCIe plug for a videocard also gives 75watt. An 8-pin plug gives 150watt...
    I would have found it strange that the card wouldn't have gotten enough power through the PCIe slot and the extra cable, but a card not working on a certain board is even weirder. And it sucks big-time, too :(
    Nonono the problem isn't the power supply, it gives it much as it needs. The card has a LED on it, if the card doesn't get as much as power it needs, the led is red, if it gets as much as it needs led is white, and for me it shows white.

My 660 gtx uses 140 watts and 960 gtx uses 120 watts, that's why I bought the card so I could get an 2x performance boost for gaming because of my power supply that has only one 6-pin plug. The sad part was that my bios doesn't support the card. So I wanted to ask if my next motherboard ASrock H97 performance would support it because the HP forum guy said that nothing is guaranteed that the gpu would work in any particular PC.

EDIT: i5-4690k is on sale so I thought should I buy it, I watched asrock h97 performance cpu list, it has it has i5-4690k on the list but since bios p1.10, what bios version does this motherboard come with?
    Last edited by ProJapeHD; 01-30-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Nonono the problem isn't the power supply, it gives it much as it needs. The card has a LED on it, if the card doesn't get as much as power it needs, the led is red, if it gets as much as it needs led is white, and for me it shows white.

My 660 gtx uses 140 watts and 960 gtx uses 120 watts, that's why I bought the card so I could get an 2x performance boost for gaming because of my power supply that has only one 6-pin plug. The sad part was that my bios doesn't support the card. So I wanted to ask if my next motherboard ASrock H97 performance would support it because the HP forum guy said that nothing is guaranteed that the gpu would work in any particular PC.

EDIT: i5-4690k is on sale so I thought should I buy it, I watched asrock h97 performance cpu list, it has it has i5-4690k on the list but since bios p1.10, what bios version does this motherboard come with?
    You seem to misunderstand me most of the time. Was just explaining what that power connector on the motherboard is for. Wasn't implying your PSU is too weak... though 465 watt is on the low side when wanting to add power hungry components...

Only buy processors with a "K" at the end if you intend to overclock. The "K" means the CPU has a loose multiplier. If you don't intend to overclock (which I would be carefull with, considering that power supply) then go for a processor without a "K" at the end of the name...

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

(snip)

ASRock > Fatal1ty H97 Performance, bios downloads shows that P1.10 is the original bios.

Does ASrock H97 Performance support Asus STRIX 960 GTX?-asrock-fatal1ty-h97-performance-bios-versions-jpg
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

parsec is offline Senior Member

We've been seeing a fair amount of new video card incompatibilities lately, which is odd when it happens in a new board like an H97. That is related to the card's VBIOS and the board's BIOS.

A BIOS update for the mobo usually fixes these problems. If your board does not have the latest BIOS, try updating to the latest one, 1.60 (thanks Prof Jim.)

The H97 chipset does not allow over clocking on 'K' type processors, or any really. You could still use an i5-4690K in that board and it will work fine at its specs, and can be set up to run all its cores at 4.0GHz, but not much more.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    We've been seeing a fair amount of new video card incompatibilities lately, which is odd when it happens in a new board like an H97. That is related to the card's VBIOS and the board's BIOS.

A BIOS update for the mobo usually fixes these problems. If your board does not have the latest BIOS, try updating to the latest one, 1.60 (thanks Prof Jim.)

The H97 chipset does not allow over clocking on 'K' type processors, or any really. You could still use an i5-4690K in that board and it will work fine at its specs, and can be set up to run all its cores at 4.0GHz, but not much more.
    Thank you for your answers. I have another question, ASrock H97 Performance has it's own memory support list as well, does it mean that memory/ram that isn't on the list doesn't work or isn't recommended? shouldn't ram be a basic thing just like any USB device or SATA and work normally?

EDIT: I'm guys really sorry if I mixed you up, check my first post for an explanation.
    Last edited by ProJapeHD; 01-31-2015 at 03:05 AM.

Thank you for your answers. I have another question, ASrock H97 Performance has it's own memory support list as well, does it mean that memory/ram that isn't on the list doesn't work or isn't recommended? shouldn't ram be a basic thing just like any USB device or SATA and work normally?

EDIT: I'm guys really sorry if I mixed you up, check my first post for an explanation.
    I've had boards work with RAM that wasn't on the list (an Asus Gene III socket 1156 board with a certain type of Kingston HyperX RAM) but sometimes you're out of luck and it doesn't work. Big brands like HP use licensed mainboards with trunkated BIOS that often require RAM of their housebrand, too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information