Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: PCI-E 3.0 and ASRock OC Formula




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    14

    Default PCI-E 3.0 and ASRock Z77 OC Formula

    I am running a single gpu in the PCIE2 slot and a sound card in PCIE3 slot.
    The cpu is Ivy Bridge.
    BIOS 1.60 (PCIE2 link speed is set to gen3; PCIE4 link speed is left on auto).

    GPU-Z shows the gpu is PCI-E 3.0 x16 gen3 capable but is only running at gen 1.1.

    Do I have to remove the sound card in order to be able to get full x16 gen3 bandwidth and speed for the single gpu?
    Last edited by pudgie; 01-31-2015 at 01:45 AM. Reason: typo

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: PCI-E 3.0 and ASRock OC Formula

    Dear Pudgie,

    Could you provide the full model name of this OC formula board?

    Thank you.

    Asrock TSD
    EDDY

  3. #3
    SandsOfTime is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    143

    Default Re: PCI-E 3.0 and ASRock OC Formula

    Start some graphics benchmark programm to utilize your GPU. GPU-Z should now go up to gen3.
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: PCI-E 3.0 and ASRock OC Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by ASRock TSD-Eddy View Post
    Dear Pudgie,

    Could you provide the full model name of this OC formula board?

    Thank you.

    Asrock TSD
    EDDY
    Sorry, I forgot. ASRock Z77 OC Formula.

  5. #5
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: PCI-E 3.0 and ASRock OC Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by pudgie View Post
    I am running a single gpu in the PCIE2 slot and a sound card in PCIE3 slot.
    The cpu is Ivy Bridge.
    BIOS 1.60 (PCIE2 link speed is set to gen3; PCIE4 link speed is left on auto).

    GPU-Z shows the gpu is PCI-E 3.0 x16 gen3 capable but is only running at gen 1.1.

    Do I have to remove the sound card in order to be able to get full x16 gen3 bandwidth and speed for the single gpu?
    As pudgie said, the power saving feature of the video card kicks in at low load conditions, and the link speed will drop to Gen 2 or Gen 1. I see that all the time with my video cards, completely normal.

    While the number or PCIe 3.0 lanes being used by a video card does not affect the link speed, the sound card, when in the PCIE3 slot, causes the PCIe 3.0 lanes to be split into x8 on each slot.

    But why would you use the sound card in a PCIe 3.0 slot, when at best operates a Gen 2 speeds? I would put the sound card in slot PCIE5, which is a Gen 2 speed slot whose lanes are provided by the Z77 chipset. The PCIe 3.0 lanes are provided by your IVB processor. Moving the sound card to the PCIE5 slot would give the video card all 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: PCI-E 3.0 and ASRock OC Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    As pudgie said, the power saving feature of the video card kicks in at low load conditions, and the link speed will drop to Gen 2 or Gen 1. I see that all the time with my video cards, completely normal.

    While the number or PCIe 3.0 lanes being used by a video card does not affect the link speed, the sound card, when in the PCIE3 slot, causes the PCIe 3.0 lanes to be split into x8 on each slot.

    But why would you use the sound card in a PCIe 3.0 slot, when at best operates a Gen 2 speeds? I would put the sound card in slot PCIE5, which is a Gen 2 speed slot whose lanes are provided by the Z77 chipset. The PCIe 3.0 lanes are provided by your IVB processor. Moving the sound card to the PCIE5 slot would give the video card all 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes.
    Actually, according to the printed manual (page 10):
    Only PCIE2 and PCIE4 support Gen 3 speed.
    and page 20:
    PCIE1 (PCIE 2.0 x1 slot) is used for a PCI Express x1 lane width card, such as a Gigabit LAN card, SATA2 card or ASRock Game Blaster, etc.
    PCIE2 (PCIE 3.0 x16 slot) is used for PCI Express x16 lane width graphics cards, or to install PCI Express graphics cards to support CrossFireX or SLI function.
    PCIE3 (PCIE 2.0 x1 slot) is used for a PCI Express x1 lane width card, such as a Gigabit LAN card or SATA2 card, etc.
    PCIE4 (PCIE 3.0 x16 slot) is sused for PCI Express x8 lane width graphics cards ...
    PCIE5 (PCIE 2.0 x16 slot) is used for PCI Express x4 lane width graphics cards.
    There is a chart in the manual showing options for installing a single gpu in PCIE2 (x16); one gpu in PCIE2 (x8) and one in PCIE4 (x8); or one gpu in PCIE2 (x8), one in PCIE4 (x8), and one in PCIE5 (x4).
    I don't see any information about installing a gpu in a PCIE slot while running another device in one of the other PCIE slots, other than as described in that chart.

    Also (in response to earlier question) I tried GPU-Z because it has an option that supposedly stresses the GPU to see whether it is actually running Gen 3 or not.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: PCI-E 3.0 and ASRock OC Formula

    According to Gabriel Torres, writing in Hardwaresecrets in September 2012:
    The two PCI Express 3.0/2.0 slots are controlled by the CPU, with the first slot working at x16 only when only one video card is installed....
    The third PCI Express x16 slot (PCIE5) is controlled by the chipset, always works at x4 speed, and uses 2.0 bandwidth....

    In order to properly accommodaate the additional PCI Express devices that are on this mother boar (the additional SATA and USB 3.0 ports), the board makes use of a PLX8605 switch chip., This chip automatically switches the available PCI Express lanes to the devices that need them.
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard | Hardware Secrets

    He doesn't mention whether PCIE3 is controlled by the CPU or the chipset. Given that it's physically between PCIE2 and PCIE4, and PCIE4 is controlled by the CPU, it would seem that PCIE3 is probably also controlled by the CPU whereas PCIE5 is controlled by the chipset, as Parsec said.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: PCI-E 3.0 and ASRock OC Formula

    Can ASRock please confirm whether it is possible to get full Gen 3 x16 gpu function while a sound card is in one of the other slots? And if so, which slots can the sound card be installed in such that the gpu's function will not be affected?

  9. #9
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: PCI-E 3.0 and ASRock OC Formula

    This is all really not complicated. But I made a mistake in my first post, about the use of the PCIE3 slot. First the specs from your board's info page:

    PCI-E 3.0 and ASRock OC Formula-z77-ocf-pcie-slots-png

    ASRock > Z77 OC Formula

    Both of the PCIe x1 slots (PCIE1 and PCIE3) are connected to the Z77 chipset, which only provides PCIe 2.0 (Gen 2) speed. Your sound card is fine in the PCIE3 slot, it does not use any PCIe 3.0 lanes. That was the mistake, you don't need to move your sound card.

    An Ivy Bridge CPU provides the PCIe 3.0 lanes (16) which are connected to the PCIE2 and PCIE4 slots.

    Your video card was running at Gen 1 speed only because of the power saving feature being active under low load conditions. That had nothing to do with the sound card using any PCIe 3.0 lanes.

    My mistake was I thought you wrote the sound card was in the PCIE4 x16 slot.

    You don't need to do anything to fix this "issue", because there really is no issue, just the power saving feature fooling you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •