Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Upgrading from one Asrock Board to another, will existing boot disk work?

Default Upgrading from one Asrock Board to another, will existing boot disk work?

I am upgrading from an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, Intel i7-3770K with Win7 64 bit Professional, to an Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional with an Intel i7-4790K Processor.

I am hoping I won't have to reinstall everything, will I be able to boot from my existing Samsung SSD drive, or do I need to do a fresh install of Win7?

I was originally going to buy the Asrock Z97 Extreme 6, but Newegg went out of stock just as I placed the order. Hope the Fatal1ty Pro is good!

Thanks,
    Jeff from Brooklyn

Britgeezer is offline Member

Default Re: Upgrading from one Asrock Board to another, will existing boot disk work?

The Z97 is a different chipset, but you know that otherwise you wouldn't be upgrading :) So the problem is that drivers from the Z77 are not the ones you need for the Z97. The fact that both MB's are Asrock is no big influence.

Can you just boot from your existing drive, yes; is it a good idea, not really.

I have done it a few times with other chipsets, but I had always prepared for a fresh install just in case.

Make sure your W7 has the latest service packs.

Remove every MB device driver you can, do the same with any peripherals you will no longer need.

Reboot with your driver CD as boot drive.

Using the driver install CD add the drivers you need (don't use load all - there is a ton of garbage installed with that solution) MAKE SURE to install LAN Drivers and after a couple of reboots and searches, W7 will have the correct drivers installed.

The small print:

I suggest you back up first.
    Your mileage may vary.
    I recommend taking the time to do fresh install, the PC will perform much better for doing this.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 02-01-2015 at 06:08 AM.

John_PC is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Upgrading from one Asrock Board to another, will existing boot disk work?

Paragon Disk Manager has a pretty cool app. that I've used a few times when upgrading. It's called Migrate OS. You can boot into a recovery environment and have it detect new drivers for you. I've also "packed up" my current installs using SysPrep in windows. Ultimately, the tidiest thing is to do a re-install though.

From the site:
    "Existing backups are no problem to restore thanks to integrated assistants – even on different hardware or in virtual environments"
    Dual Boot: Windows 7 -64 Ultimate / Windows XP-Mce 32
    AsRock Fx990 Extreme 9
    AMD 8370E
    Patriot 32GB Viper III DDR3 2133
    Sapphire Radeon VAPOR-X R9 290X 8GB
    CoolerMaster Gold 1000 w PSU
    CoolerMaster 240M liquid cooler
    CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 case
    111GB Corsair Force GT SSD
    Etc...

Jimmy Jump is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCNY View Post
    I am upgrading from an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, Intel i7-3770K with Win7 64 bit Professional, to an Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional with an Intel i7-4790K Processor.

I am hoping I won't have to reinstall everything, will I be able to boot from my existing Samsung SSD drive, or do I need to do a fresh install of Win7?

I was originally going to buy the Asrock Z97 Extreme 6, but Newegg went out of stock just as I placed the order. Hope the Fatal1ty Pro is good!

Thanks,
    Jeff from Brooklyn
    I switched from an AsRock P67 Fatal1ty Pro with an i7-2600K to an AsRock Z77 Extreme11 with an i7-3770K and had to re-install everything. SSD with "old" Win7 install got past post and to the desktop, but BSoD'd on me everytime I got that far...

Thread Information