Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Won't Power Off After Shutdown

Default Re: ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Won't Power Off After Shutdown

> I understand what you want to happen with the power supply when you shutdown that PC. You want the power supply to be completely off, as if you switched the power switch on the power supply to the off position.

That would be ideal but I understand the 5VSB is always on as long as the external PSU is on. The minimum I need is for the FC10 LED to turn off after the OS shutdown. This is important as I run the PC headless so I have no other way to tell if the OS is still running, e.g., installing updates. If I manually poweroff the external DC PSU while the OS is still running then it may lead to data corruption.

> But my point about PC power supplies is they simply do not work that way. Do you have other PCs with standard, internal power supplies that function that way? That is, completely turn off when the OS is shutdown? I have never seen that happen with any of the PCs I have ever used.

Understand. However a normal PC will have the power LED switch off after one shutdown the OS, even if it keeps power to the USB and LAN port.

> I still don't quite understand this statement: "The FC10 chassis's power LED and power switch is in fact connected to the motherboard's power switch and power LED pinout so they are not controlling the external DC PSU."
    > I'm not sure you are referring to this in your statement, but given this from the manual, there is no connection for the FC10's power LED, and the mother board's power LED header. Actually, all this connection would do is turn the power LED on the FC10 case on and off, and have no affect on the power supply at all.

The LED+ and LED- connections are for the LED on the FC10's front panel. I connect that to the power LED connectors on the ASRock motherboard as per the MB manual. In fact the MB has two such connectors and I tried both with the same result.

> The part I don't understand is, "... so they are not controlling the external DC PSU.". Are you expecting whatever connection to be controlling the PSU, and being able to turn off the 5VSB power supply?

No. I know this is not supported and it's not what I need.

> If you ever find a way to do what you want to happen with your PSU, we would be interested in how it is done. IMO, you won't be able to.

I only need the power LED to turn off after shutdown which I believe is the correct operation for any PC.

To power off the external PSU will need more work. As CrunchyDoodle mentioned earlier pin 14 of the ATX connector will change state after shutdown so that can be used to drive a relay to switch-off the external PSU if desired. However as I said earlier this is not the main problem I'm encountering - I just want that LED turns off after the OS shutdown.

Thanks.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Ahh, I see now, I did not know how you had the connections to the FC10 power button circuit board configured.

Something is not right if the power LED on the FC10 case stays on when the board is shutdown. If the power LED cable from the board is connected to the FC10's power button circuit board correctly, which it must be since it is simple to do, my first reaction is the FC10 is the problem.

I don't have a Z97 Extreme 4 board, but I do have a Z97 Extreme 6 board, and several other ASRock boards. All my PC cases have power LEDs, and they all are off when the PC is shutdown. In Sleep mode they flash, but are off when shutdown.

What does the internal 24 pin power supply cable and connector look like inside the Streacom chassis? Does it seem like a standard 24 pin connector?

Did you try loading the UEFI defaults, to see if an option was set accidentally wrong, and the power LED remained on for that reason? Actually I can't think of a setting that would do that.

> What does the internal 24 pin power supply cable and connector look like inside the Streacom chassis? Does it seem like a standard 24 pin connector?

Yes, it's standard 24-pin connector. I tried 3 different ATX supply with the same results so I doubt the ATX supply is the problem.

> Did you try loading the UEFI defaults, to see if an option was set accidentally wrong, and the power LED remained on for that reason? Actually I can't think of a setting that would do that.

Yup. Did that multiple times already. Very frustrating.

Jimmy Jump is offline Junior Member

Sounds more like there's power bleeding, most plausible through a wiring fault at the back of the case's on/off button...

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jump View Post
    Sounds more like there's power bleeding, most plausible through a wiring fault at the back of the case's on/off button...
    That is a possibility, and gave me an idea how to test it, although it would take some work.

If you could get a 5V LED that could be connected to the power LED header on the board, and the LED could be oriented so it could be seen, that would tell you if the board was not sending 5V to the LED when the PC is shutdown.

_JL_, have you contacted Streacom about this? I've had a circuit board inside a case that was defective. It had USB ports mounted on it, and they would not work. A replacement board fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    That is a possibility, and gave me an idea how to test it, although it would take some work.

If you could get a 5V LED that could be connected to the power LED header on the board, and the LED could be oriented so it could be seen, that would tell you if the board was not sending 5V to the LED when the PC is shutdown.

_JL_, have you contacted Streacom about this? I've had a circuit board inside a case that was defective. It had USB ports mounted on it, and they would not work. A replacement board fixed the problem.
    Thanks for the idea. I gave up and replaced the MB with a Gigabyte H97 and the power off now works normally so the FC10 chassis is fine. Conclusion: the ASRock board is defective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information