Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Intel RapidStart Driver will not load on ASRock Z97 Extreme4

Prevail is offline Junior Member

Default Intel RapidStart Driver will not load on ASRock Z97 Extreme4

I ran the rapidstart utility and created a 16 GB hidden partition on my Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD.
    However, when I try to install the rapidstart driver, I get the error message that my system is not compatible with it.
    Any suggestions? I assume the Z97 Extreme4 MOBO supports rapidstart, since the driver and utility are distributed with the board.
    I am using Win 8.1 x64.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Intel RapidStart Driver will not load on ASRock Z97 Extreme4

Of course your board supports the Intel Rapid Start feature.

There is a Rapid Start option in the UEFI/BIOS, is that enabled? It usually is by default, but worth checking since it must be enabled.

I can't believe the Rapid Start utility would work if your SSD was connected to one of the ASMedia SATA ports, which are the SATA ports at the top of the stack of ports when the board is installed in a PC case.

Is your Windows 8 installation a UEFI booting type? If so the instructions are a bit different.

It sounds like you did everything right, but here are the Rapid Start guides from Intel, both legacy booting and UEFI booting. Don't worry that the first guide does not mention your chipset, Intel has simply not updated that part:

http://download.intel.com/support/mo...user_guide.pdf

http://download.intel.com/support/mo..._for_uefi1.pdf

Actually, Intel Rapid Start is just their own version of Windows Hibernate, and basically just puts the PC into Sleep mode, but stores the booted PC's information in the partition you created. So you are not really booting the PC when using Rapid Start, just coming out of Intel's version of Windows Hibernate mode.

Jimmy Jump is offline Junior Member

I remember using Rapid Start on an LGA-1156 Extreme 4 board. If I recall well everything installed perfectly normal and the Rapid Start was usable from the word go. It is indeed some form of hibernation where your PC switches off most things to re-emerge in a flash when hitting any key on the keyboard...

Prevail is offline Junior Member

Thank you for your reply. After enabling the feature in the BIOS, the driver installed and RapidStart seems to work just fine. Foolish of me not to check the BIOS settings. Is there any potential danger in using the RS sleep all of the time instead of shutting down the computer the usual way?
    I am not clear on the differences between Intel and ASmedia ports (SATA, USB). Is one type considered better for certain things? In any event, my SSD is connected to the Intel SATA3_0 port (which is recommended in the manual for boot devices). My two optical drives are currently connected to the ASmedia SATA ports. Thanks again.
    Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Of course your board supports the Intel Rapid Start feature.

There is a Rapid Start option in the UEFI/BIOS, is that enabled? It usually is by default, but worth checking since it must be enabled.

I can't believe the Rapid Start utility would work if your SSD was connected to one of the ASMedia SATA ports, which are the SATA ports at the top of the stack of ports when the board is installed in a PC case.

Is your Windows 8 installation a UEFI booting type? If so the instructions are a bit different.

It sounds like you did everything right, but here are the Rapid Start guides from Intel, both legacy booting and UEFI booting. Don't worry that the first guide does not mention your chipset, Intel has simply not updated that part:

http://download.intel.com/support/mo...user_guide.pdf

http://download.intel.com/support/mo..._for_uefi1.pdf

Actually, Intel Rapid Start is just their own version of Windows Hibernate, and basically just puts the PC into Sleep mode, but stores the booted PC's information in the partition you created. So you are not really booting the PC when using Rapid Start, just coming out of Intel's version of Windows Hibernate mode.
    Last edited by Prevail; 02-10-2015 at 12:55 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Nothing better than simple fixes, glad that worked for you.

I mentioned the ASMedia SATA ports only because the Intel Rapid Start feature won't work with the ASMedia SATA chipset.

The ASMedia "SATA III" chipset, like the majority of the other add on SATA chipsets (Marvell) use one PCIe 2.0 lane as their connection to the rest of the PC. The speed of one PCIe 2.0 lane is 5.0Gb/s (gigabits), not the 6Gb/s of a true SATA III interface.

So, the ASMedia SATA interface will never be as fast as the Intel or AMD SATA III chipsets. If you have a SSD, it won't be quite as fast if used on the ASMedia SATA ports. Some users seem to have stability issues with these add on SATA chipsets, when using the ASMedia SATA driver. It's possible to use the native Windows AHCI driver with the ASMedia SATA chipset, which might help with any stability issues. Using the latest ASMedia driver can also help.

Thread Information