Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock x99 Extreme 4 Issues

nlheldt is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock x99 Extreme 4 Issues

This is only my third build ever and i normally don't overclock etc. and would appreciate some help if possible. First issue I have been dealing with is a strange boot up problem. Basically when i hit the power button it starts up for half a second and then shuts off and then boots itself backup again like nothing is wrong. Its like as if i reset the csmos every time but i don't. I tried unplugging the power from the wall and resetting the csmos and sometimes that fixes it for a little while and then it starts doing it again.

Second problem i have faced is when i enable the profile XMP settings the computer is completely unstable. I get blue screens (page default errors) and windows errors. I am a complete noob when it comes to overclocking so i wouldnt even know what to change. Its setting my ram which is currently at 2100 but its suppose to be 2800 @ 2802 and the processor from 3500 to 4000. I ran memtest and prime95 and everything has passed with no issues. I have the latest bios update as well. Everything on default settings works perfect except that first issue with the weird boot up thing but it doesnt seem to hurt anything.

Thanks so much!

-Nate

Britgeezer is offline Member

Default Re: Asrock x99 Extreme 4 Issues

Before you OC, you need to get the PC stable under standard conditions. There are lots of OC guides so I will let you do a little online reading.

What error messages does the onboard display give you? What beeps do you get?

I see you have 16GB of memory, is that 4x 4GB or 2x 8GB. 4 sticks of "same" memory is often a problem. What happens when you use only 2 sticks? If 4 ,mark the pairs and try to keep them together.

Lets get you stable and then you can think about OC.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 02-12-2015 at 10:10 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nlheldt View Post
    This is only my third build ever and i normally don't overclock etc. and would appreciate some help if possible. First issue I have been dealing with is a strange boot up problem. Basically when i hit the power button it starts up for half a second and then shuts off and then boots itself backup again like nothing is wrong. Its like as if i reset the csmos every time but i don't. I tried unplugging the power from the wall and resetting the csmos and sometimes that fixes it for a little while and then it starts doing it again.

Second problem i have faced is when i enable the profile XMP settings the computer is completely unstable. I get blue screens (page default errors) and windows errors. I am a complete noob when it comes to overclocking so i wouldnt even know what to change. Its setting my ram which is currently at 2100 but its suppose to be 2800 @ 2802 and the processor from 3500 to 4000. I ran memtest and prime95 and everything has passed with no issues. I have the latest bios update as well. Everything on default settings works perfect except that first issue with the weird boot up thing but it doesnt seem to hurt anything.

Thanks so much!

-Nate
    The start - stop - start situation from a cold boot is very difficult to diagnose, since the board may not have even started the POST process yet. Unfortunately, your board does not have the Dr Debug POST code display, which might give a clue about what is happening.

As you mentioned about the board starting, stopping, and starting again when you clear the CMOS, when some CPU and memory options in the BIOS are changed, the board will do the same thing. You mentioned resetting the CMOS with the power unplugged (which is how you should always clear the CMOS), which fixes the start - stop - start problem for a while. In the time between clearing the CMOS, and the problem starting up again, did you change any BIOS option settings?

About your memory problem, the first thing to know about memory speed with Haswell-E processors, which have the memory controller built into the CPU, is any memory speed above 2133 is a memory OC. Also, Intel only guarantees the memory controller will perform up to 2133. That does not mean it cannot run memory at speeds above 2133, but the advertised speed of the memory may never be reached. The maximum memory speed your board is rated for is 2800, which will take some configuration to reach, even if it is possible.

You noticed when you enabled the XMP profile, the processor speed changed from 3.5GHz to 4.0GHz, and the PC is unstable. The change in CPU speed is mainly caused by the XMP profile changing the CPU's base clock speed, abbreviated as BCLK. The BCLK default speed is 100MHz, and is used by the CPU and memory to set their speeds. The BCLK speed can be increased and decreased, more on that later.

You may know about the CPU core multipliers, your CPU's standard multiplier is 35, for each of its cores. Notice that 35 X 100MHz = 3500MHz, the standard speed of your processor. Turbo boost changes the multiplier to 37 to get your processor's Turbo speed of 3700MHz.

Over clocking on your processor is done by manually changing the core multipliers to values above 35. Setting one or more of the core multipliers to say 40, will result in an OC speed of 4000MHz, with the BCLK set to 100MHz.

Memory also uses something similar to the CPU core multipliers and the BCLK to set its speed, but we don't get as direct access to the memory multipliers as we do with the CPU core multipliers.

Back to memory speed. All memory speeds above 2133 on X99/Haswell-E systems are memory over clocks. For whatever reason (restrictions in the memory multipliers) to go beyond memory speeds of 2133 on this system, the BCLK speed is changed. There are several defined BCLK speed levels, called Straps or even Gear Ratios. The two straps beyond 100MHz (which can be considered a strap too) are 125MHz and 167MHz. Other ways to designate the standard BCLK speeds/straps are by fractional ratios. Ratios of 1.00, 1.25, and 1.67, are equivalent to BCLKs speeds of 100MHz, 125MHz, and 167MHz. You can see that those speeds are obtained by multiplying the ratio by 100MHz.

Finally back to your situation, enabling the XMP profile with memory above 2133 changes the BCLK. It seems the memory multiplier is at its maximum value at that speed, so a BCLK strap other than the 100MHz/1.00 strap is used.

The important and major side affect of this is the different BCLK strap/speed affects the CPU speed.

You saw this yourself when you enabled the XMP profile, your CPU was magically over clocked to 4000MHz. This is one reason why you are having stability issues, using default CPU voltage settings with a 4.0GHz OC won't work. The XMP profile only "cares" about the memory, and does not change any settings for the CPU voltage.

IIRC, there was some talk a while back about how the processor and memory BCLK, instead of being shared were to be isolated from each other. This does not seem to be the case.

At this point my specific knowledge about Haswell-E processors and memory speed becomes weak, since I don't own one of these systems. If I were you, after enabling the XMP profile, I would go through the CPU options in the BIOS and see what the BCLK, CPU core multipliers, and memory speed/ratio are set to. Since the system is not stable at 4000MHz, I would set the CPU core multipliers to a lower value, to get the CPU speed down to ~3500MHz. Actually, I would want to see what the BCLK speed is set to. Is it at 125MHz, or did it go to 167MHz for 2800 speed memory.

You are dealing with the one of the highest-end systems available to the consumer, and it is a new platform with a new type of memory (DDR4). Most PC users do not have experience with it. Frankly, some of the bugs and issues are still being worked out. Once you go beyond stock specifications, like 2800 speed memory, it is not a plug and play system. If you don't understand over clocking, that's fine, either try to learn about it or don't do it if it causes problems. You won't see night and day differences between 2133 and 2800 memory anyway, unless you are doing some very specific, exotic tasks.

Also, the memory information in your PC profile, "Gskill Ripjaw 4 Series 16GB DDR4 2800", is not specific enough to know what model of G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 memory you have. I found three different G.SKILL DDR4 Ripjaw memory models (RR, RK, RB), and one model in your board's memory support list at 2800, the RR.

I really appreciate the replies! I am very puzzled about the start stop situation because like you said i dont have any onboard diagnostic lights or even a post speaker. This was the first Asrock board i have owned and the other builds had built in speakers so i guess i should of done more research on which version to get. I have successfully started the pc a couple times today without it doing it from a cold boot so it just seems random.

I have 4x 4GB sticks of G.Skill Model F4-2800C16Q-16GRK so im guessing my board doesnt support 2800 since you said it only supports the RR.

When i turn on the XMP it sets:

CPU 4076 MHz / Cache 3057 MHz / BCLK 127.4 MHz RAM: 2802 Mhz
    CPU I/O - 1.275v DRAM - 1.250v DRAM Activating Power Supply - 2.500v PCH PLL - 1.500v ME - 1.050v PCH - 1.250v

The above runs for a little while but random Page Default blue screens during gaming.

I tried just changing only the CPU Modifier to 40 with the BCLK @ 100 MHz and the CPU I/O to 1.275v and it shows the target is 4000MHz but when i reboot it doesnt change anything and stays at the default 3500MHz.

Again thanks so much for the information and replies! I find this stuff very interesting even tho i dont really know what im doing.

-Nate

CSAsr84 is offline Junior Member

I have read that only DDR4 over 2666Mhz affect BCLK. I can guarantee you that my G.Skill at 2666 work with XMP setting at 2666Mhz without OC the CPU. It is at the memory compatibility list though.

Quote Originally Posted by nlheldt View Post
    I really appreciate the replies! I am very puzzled about the start stop situation because like you said i dont have any onboard diagnostic lights or even a post speaker. This was the first Asrock board i have owned and the other builds had built in speakers so i guess i should of done more research on which version to get. I have successfully started the pc a couple times today without it doing it from a cold boot so it just seems random.

I have 4x 4GB sticks of G.Skill Model F4-2800C16Q-16GRK so im guessing my board doesnt support 2800 since you said it only supports the RR.

When i turn on the XMP it sets:

CPU 4076 MHz / Cache 3057 MHz / BCLK 127.4 MHz RAM: 2802 Mhz
    CPU I/O - 1.275v DRAM - 1.250v DRAM Activating Power Supply - 2.500v PCH PLL - 1.500v ME - 1.050v PCH - 1.250v

The above runs for a little while but random Page Default blue screens during gaming.

I tried just changing only the CPU Modifier to 40 with the BCLK @ 100 MHz and the CPU I/O to 1.275v and it shows the target is 4000MHz but when i reboot it doesnt change anything and stays at the default 3500MHz.

Again thanks so much for the information and replies! I find this stuff very interesting even tho i dont really know what im doing.

-Nate
    A blue screen in Windows won't cause anything to be shown on a POST code display, or cause any beeps from a POST speaker. Yes you must add your own POST beep speaker to any current board. Why would a $1.50 POST beep speaker influence a board purchase decision? Most new PC cases I have included the POST speaker.

If your memory works fine at 2133, then it is not incompatible.

Just as I expected, the BCLK was set to the 125MHz strap, and apparently beyond a bit to 127.4MHz, with the XMP profile.

For a CPU speed of 4076MHz with a BCLK of 127.4MHz, that should be a core multiplier of 32, which is lower than the default multiplier of 35 for an i7-5930K. So it seems the core multiplier was set to 32, since at 35 with that BCLK the CPU speed would be ~4445MHz.

IMO, the high CPU speed is causing the BSOD with the BCLK at 127.4MHz.

With XMP enabled and the BCLK at 127.4MHz, set the CPU core multiplier to 28, which will result in a CPU speed of ~3500MHz. Test that to see if it solves the BSOD problem.

You provided all the memory voltages, but CPU voltages (VCore and CPU Input) would be of interest too.

Why your "CPU Modifier" (is that what it is called in your BIOS?) set to 40 with a BCLK of 100MHz, resulted in a CPU speed of 3500MHz, I don't know. You might not be checking the correct screen that shows the actual CPU speed. What did you use to check the speed?

Quote Originally Posted by CSAsr84 View Post
    I have read that only DDR4 over 2666Mhz affect BCLK. I can guarantee you that my G.Skill at 2666 work with XMP setting at 2666Mhz without OC the CPU. It is at the memory compatibility list though.
    You can easily check your BCLK speed and CPU multiplier with the XMP setting enabled and the memory at 2666.

Raising the BCLK and reducing the CPU multiplier can easily set the CPU speed to its stock value.

The X99 memory speed and BCLK speed for memory over 2133 is rather mysterious, I have seen information that confirms your claim, and others claim otherwise.

I would love to know what your BCLK speed and CPU multipliers are set to with your memory at 2666.

CSAsr84 is offline Junior Member

Using XMP setting and checking BIOS and CPU-Z BCLK is indeed at 100 Mhz and 33x Multiplier for 5820k @ 2666Mhz. Ram timings with XMP setting works at manufacturer's specs. Only DRAM Voltage is set from XMP at 1.250v instead of 1.200 of Ram specification but since is only a bit over Intel specification, i didn't bother to set it at 1.200 manually to see if it's stable. I think over 1.400 DRAM Voltage is risky, right?

You are right about the processor speed being too high and causing the BSOD. I did what you said and the system was stable at CPU 3567MHz / RAM 2802 / BCLK 127.4. Played a couple different games for a few hours without any issues. That cold boot issue seems to be gone so thats great news. Now just to figure out where to go from here since I know its not any hardware issues.

Thanks!

-Nate

Thread Information