Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 OC Formula Shutdown & Boot Issues

Ken429 is offline Senior Member

Default Z77 OC Formula Shutdown & Boot Issues

I am about to give up on the Z77 OC Formula MB. The first board lasted exactly 1 year before it started to act up - would reboot on it's own and would go into some sort of ~3 minute boot funk and/or shutdown funk. ASRock replaced it without any problems. Now, after 3 months the replacement board is starting to do the same strange things. Again, ASRock is willing to RMA the board but I'm beginning to wonder if there is some sort of flaw in the board design that is causing the failures. It seems rather strange that two boards would fail in the same way after working properly for many months. As you can see from my signature below I have a system with the Z77 Extreme4 and one with the Z97 Extreme6 MB's. I have not had a problem with either of these systems.

Anybody else having similar problems with the Z77 OC Formula? Or... any ideas on why I can't keep one running without developing the above issues? I'm about ready to go buy a "New" Z77 Extreme4 MB and give up on the Z77 OC Formula MB?!

PS
    Forgot to mention that I have done the Unplug P/S, Remove Battery, Clear CMOS, Restore BIOS Defaults many times with several variations suggested by ASRock Technical Support and it has no positive effect.
    Last edited by Ken429; 02-12-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Default Re: Z77 OC Formula Shutdown & Boot Issues

Not getting a lot of input on my problem. So far I have Cleared CMOS, replaced the Mushkin SSD with a Sanddisk SSD and swapped out the Seasonic P/S for a Corsair P/S. Strange re-boot after shutdown still occasionally occurs. So...it looks like it must be the M/B? Is it possible for W8.1 to cause the system to reboot when the Start>Shutdown is in progress?

Britgeezer is offline Member

I have 2# Z77 extreme4, 1 # Extreme6 and 1 # Z97 Extreme4 that don't have the issues you mention; but then its not the Z77 Formula.... sorry.

The interment shutdown sounds like heat issues. Have you cleaned filters and fans? How are your temps.

When you only run 2 sticks of memory does the same thing happen?

Britgeezer,
    Thanks for the interest. No, it ain't a heat issue. The only time the problem occurs is (sometimes) when I trigger a shutdown via the start button.

I was tricked, the first MB broke and would not allow me to make BIOS changes along with the various other strange things one of which was the shutdown/restart issue when I would trigger a shutdown via the start button. The only issue I am/was having with the replacement MB was the random shutdown/restart when I triggered a shutdown via the start button.

I finally Googled my symptoms and found a bunch of people with the same problem. The solution is to TURN ON "Hibernate" and then TURN OFF "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" in the Power window under "Change what the powers button do." It's been a couple of days since I made this change and all is well.

Microsoft must have done something a few weeks ago to W8.1 in one of their updates that caused this to start happening on my Z77 OC Formula system. I have Hibernate turned off on the Z97 Extreme6 and Z77 Extreme4 systems and do not have a problem with either of them. I am running the same stuff on those systems except for the MB drivers. However, those systems have a video card??

JFI. It's been a week since I made the above changes and the problem has not returned. Problem solved.
    Last edited by Ken429; 02-22-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Thread Information