Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AM1H-ITX Ram support list is useless

Thumbs down AM1H-ITX Ram support list is useless

I have this board AM1H-ITX but the memory support list is useless as all the memory on there is old memory which is no longer for sale in the UK so why is it not updated to include new memory as i struggle to find the proper memory for this board.
    I brought some Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Module BLS4G3D1609DS1S00 only to find out it has issues with AM1 cpus, i find Asrock support very lacking and wont buy Asrock again.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: AM1H-ITX Ram support list is useless

Quote Originally Posted by copystuff View Post
    I have this board AM1H-ITX but the memory support list is useless as all the memory on there is old memory which is no longer for sale in the UK so why is it not updated to include new memory as i struggle to find the proper memory for this board.
    I brought some Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Module BLS4G3D1609DS1S00 only to find out it has issues with AM1 cpus, i find Asrock support very lacking and wont buy Asrock again.
    This board is not even one year old yet. The first BIOS date is March 6, 2014.

Only six AM1 processors listed for use with this board, which have the memory controller on the CPU itself, as is standard for modern processors.

The memory controller has specs that any memory used with it must meet. So the memory controller is the limiting factor when it comes to memory choice, not the board itself.

The memory support list is pretty long for such a small amount of processors.

AM1 processors haven't been available for even a year yet.

If all the memory in the list is "old", then is it possible that the new memory models are not compatible with AM1 processors?

What I am seeing in reviews of AM1 processors, is that they have issues with 1600 speed memory. That's pretty poor for a current processor.

Memory manufactures should be able to recommend which of their products work with specific hardware, whether the memory model is old or new.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    This board is not even one year old yet. The first BIOS date is March 6, 2014.

Only six AM1 processors listed for use with this board, which have the memory controller on the CPU itself, as is standard for modern processors.

The memory controller has specs that any memory used with it must meet. So the memory controller is the limiting factor when it comes to memory choice, not the board itself.

The memory support list is pretty long for such a small amount of processors.

AM1 processors haven't been available for even a year yet.

If all the memory in the list is "old", then is it possible that the new memory models are not compatible with AM1 processors?

What I am seeing in reviews of AM1 processors, is that they have issues with 1600 speed memory. That's pretty poor for a current processor.

Memory manufactures should be able to recommend which of their products work with specific hardware, whether the memory model is old or new.
    Kingston say there new kingston fury 1866 memory works with my board but how can that be if these cpus have trouble with 1600 memory.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Good question.

I really don't have an answer for that, but maybe Kingston knows that model of memory matches the specs of an AM1 processor's memory controller. Also, they have tested it with AM1 processors, so are confident saying it will work.

Also, the full rated speed of any memory is only available when the XMP profile is enabled in the BIOS, or the speed and other memory settings are set manually. The default speed of any memory will not be the highest advertised speed, it may be 1600 or 1333 for that memory.

If Kingston will RMA any memory you buy that does not work at no cost to you, then it may be worth a try. Normally the maximum memory speed in a processor's specs is the guaranteed speed the manufacture claims will work. Anything above that speed is a memory OC, and not guaranteed to work.

Thread Information