Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock 990FX Extreme9 won’t accept RAM

Default Asrock 990FX Extreme9 won’t accept RAM

I’ve just bought a brand new Asrock 990FX Extreme9 motherboard and successfully installed Windows 7 64-bit edition. I have an AMD Athlon (tm) II X4 645 3100 MHz processor which does well its job.

BIOS is nice and it even offers a detailed insight into each system’s component. The motherboard contains 4 RAM slots:

DD3_A1
    DD3_A2
    DD3_B1
    DD3_B2

I have 3 DDR modules. In the BIOS schematic they are indicated as follows:

Apacer 2048 MB 667 MHz (DDR3_1333) 9-9-9-24
    Apacer 2048 MB 667 MHz (DDR3_1333) 9-9-9-24
    Kingston 2048 MB 667 MHz (DDR3_1333) 9-9-9-24

I spent 2 hours rearanging the sticks 10–15 times and tried to boot Windows with 1, 2 or 3 sticks inserted. I came up with a conclusion that the system will only recognize DD3_B1 and DD3_B2 slots. Even having filled both DD3_A1 and DD3_A2 slots, the BIOS won’t even boot and will act as if no slots have been filled.

In Windows, under System information, it is currenty stated that I have 6 GB installed memory (which is correct), but only 3,97 GB usable.

The system will boot and work absolutely fine with any of the 3 DDR modules, provided I put it in one of the "B" slots. Inserting an additional module into an "A" slot will result in Windows showing 4 GB installed memory, but only 1,97 GB usable.

This is where my expertise ends. Any help in order to figure this out would be appreciated.
    Last edited by UTF16; 02-23-2015 at 12:49 AM.

Default Re: Asrock 990FX Extreme9 won’t accept RAM

So I made a research and discovered some people have resolved the problem by checking the processor. I did that too and found a bunch of bent pins on its bottom surface. I carefully straightened them and the memory is now back. Problem solved

docmax2 is offline Junior Member

I am looking at your DDR3 Memory speed, i would try to upgrade them to 1866 MHz. It was over a decade when i used memory with that slow of speed. That motherboard is made to handle it.

The difference is not going to be significant, unless new software is produced with this specific requirement.

Thread Information