Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: z97 OC Formula Sluggish.

Default z97 OC Formula Sluggish.

Running win 7 Ultimate fully up to date. The system seems sluggish games run fine and stuff but I can not see to configure it any better than the default settings.

Can anyone help me configure this thing some? I do not really want to OC it per say but sheesh.....uhg I hope its not windows last thing I want to do is a fresh install....

Mobo z97 OC Formula , bios up to date

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0Ghz

Ramm: G.Skill 16GB PC3-10700 (667 MHz) F3-2400C10-8GTX

CPU Cooler: Enermax Liqtech 240 All-in-One Liquid Cooler

OS Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200 ST31000528AS 1TB

I have 1 Blu ray drive, 2 other SATA hard drives and 4 4TB USB 3.0 hard drives.

OS Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200 ST31000528AS 1TB

I have 1 Blu ray drive, 2 other SATA hard drives and 4 4TB USB 3.0 hard drives.
    Last edited by ZippydsmLee; 02-23-2015 at 10:39 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: z97 OC Formula Sluggish.

Can you possibly describe "sluggish" a little better? What are you comparing this PC with that is not sluggish?

One thing that comes to mind is the OC Formula boards have a "Slow Mode" switch, that causes the CPU to run at its slowest speed. For yours that would be 800MHz. I've heard that the slow mode switch may be set to on at the factory. Have you checked the CPU speed in Windows, and verified it is running at 4GHz?

Next, from my perspective as a SSD user, a HDD as the OS drive is not good. Of all the systems and interfaces in a PC that we commonly use, the slowest one is the disk storage IO devices and interfaces. Even with a SSD, it is still much slower than DRAM memory, the processor, PCIe buss, etc. Yes the USB interface is slower than SATA III, but that is just another IO interface.

Your board has the extra ASMedia SATA chipset, which is slower than the Intel SATA chipset. But that should not make much if any difference when using an HDD.

Are you using the default SATA settings, which are AHCI? If you are using IDE mode, that is slower than AHCI.

Is the Windows 7 installation you are using a fresh install done on this board?

Did you install the Intel IRST driver?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Can you possibly describe "sluggish" a little better? What are you comparing this PC with that is not sluggish?

One thing that comes to mind is the OC Formula boards have a "Slow Mode" switch, that causes the CPU to run at its slowest speed. For yours that would be 800MHz. I've heard that the slow mode switch may be set to on at the factory. Have you checked the CPU speed in Windows, and verified it is running at 4GHz?

Next, from my perspective as a SSD user, a HDD as the OS drive is not good. Of all the systems and interfaces in a PC that we commonly use, the slowest one is the disk storage IO devices and interfaces. Even with a SSD, it is still much slower than DRAM memory, the processor, PCIe buss, etc. Yes the USB interface is slower than SATA III, but that is just another IO interface.

Your board has the extra ASMedia SATA chipset, which is slower than the Intel SATA chipset. But that should not make much if any difference when using an HDD.

Are you using the default SATA settings, which are AHCI? If you are using IDE mode, that is slower than AHCI.

Is the Windows 7 installation you are using a fresh install done on this board?

Did you install the Intel IRST driver?
    Speed and load times are about same as my old 4 core AM3, 8GB 1866 comp, fire fox is getting slower bu then again I do like having 50 tabs open ><. I skimped on re installation since somehow it booted and worked fine with the new mobo/cpu so I could uninstall all the drivers then installed all drivers for the new board.

Anyway I tried to update netframework the other day and it will not update removed all the net framework using the tool and started to reinstall it and it will not reinstall it so this install is fubared, trying to move stuff off my OS HDD so I can format...and give win 8.1 a whirl on this rig. >< I wish I had an extra HDD for the OS all I have is a spare 300GB with smart errors I use for random OS...not got to play with 10 yet.

Give me about 400$ and I will get a SSD :P LOL

BTW what would the smallest size for a SSD for a windose OS? 256GB?

parsec is offline Senior Member

You can't expect a Windows installation on an AMD system to work well on a completely different Intel platform.

Windows will install and run fine on a 64GB drive. Windows and some other programs have been fit into 32GB SSDs, but there's no point in doing that.

If you have a lot of memory, more than 16GB for example, you will need to manually adjust the size of the Hibernate file, which will allocate up to as much memory as you have for the hibernate file.

You can find many SSDs up to 240GB in size for $100 or less. The best consumer 256GB SSDs available can be easily found for well under $200. The new Crucial BX100 1TB SSD goes for $400.

Thread Information