Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z97x killer vcore issue??

Question Z97x killer vcore issue??

Hi fellas,

My z97x killer will not keep my voltage @ stock for my i7 4790k.. I have bios P1.90

When running stock speed (4.4ghz turbo) all settings default it runs at 4.4ghz turbo and 1.280 volts... default volt should be 1.197
    If I set the voltage to Adaptive 1.200 for example it doesnt make a different it will ALWAYS go to 1.280 (approx) same happens with the vcore voltage is set to auto aswell......

the only way I can keep a desired voltage for example 1.220 for arguments sake... is by setting the voltage to "Override" mode then it will apply the exact volts I want........ the problem with this method is that even when cpu is idle it keeps 1.220 volts when it should drop to 0.799 approx.

So long story short... why does adaptive and auto set the volts to 1.280 ??? stock volts for 4790k should be around 1.197.... If I set adaptive to 1.200 or 1.250 or 1.100 it doesnt matter it ALWAYS goes to where it wants to around the 1.280 range... but only for 4.4ghz and above. 4.3 and 4.2ghz are lower again...

How can I tell my mobo to stay at a certain voltage without using override mode? and why can my friends mobo exact same model stay around 1.200 volts when he sets it in adaptive mode? why does mine just ignore my request and do whatever it wants to ?

The issue is my friend has the exact same mobo with a i5 4670k and his volts will stay where they're told to.... Why does mine not act the same?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z97x killer vcore issue??

Welcome to the world of Haswell K processors and Adaptive voltage! The behavior of your i7-4790K is normal when using Adaptive Voltage mode, and a few other things you are not considering. It is not a problem with the board or the BIOS/UEFI.

What are you using to monitor your "voltage" when you see it at 1.280V? Which program(s) do you use for that purpose? Does your friend use the same program to check the CPU voltage? The program used to monitor the CPU voltage is important, they all do not work the same way and some work better than others. Also, different versions of the same program (CPU-Z for example) result in different results.

Basic (but not obvious, and unique) information about Haswell K processors, Adaptive Voltage, and your ASRock board's UEFI/BIOS:

Every Haswell processor of the same model (i7-4790K, i7-4770K, etc) does not have identical stock voltage values needed to operate at their rated speed. Each processor of the same model is a unique individual, whose stock voltage value is individually adjusted for it during the manufacturing process. While this has been done on Intel processors for years, the range of stock voltage values (from lowest to highest) is greater in Haswell processors than all previous generations. There is no standard, "should be" voltage that can be specifically stated.

Haswell processors of the same model will operate at the same stock speed, but the voltage needed to operate at that speed will be different between one processor and another. Once these processors are over clocked, the amount of voltage needed to maintain the OC becomes greater for those processors that have a relatively high stock speed voltage value. In other words, some Haswell processors of the same model OC better than others. The range of OC ability is quite variable.

The CPU or core voltages (you only said "voltage") you are seeing displayed in whatever program you use to monitor your processor, are actually the processor core VID(s), which are not necessarily the same as an actual CPU voltage, or VCore. Haswell processors have the voltage regulators that create the actual VCore within the processor itself, which is different than any other Intel processor generation. Hardware monitoring programs don't have direct or easy access to the actual VCore voltage, but they can read the VIDs easily, and that is what all hardware monitoring programs display. A few of these programs can display the true VCore. Your board's F-Stream utility displays VIDs.

Adaptive Voltage is designed to add voltage beyond whatever the normal voltage for a particular processor is (Auto) or set to manually. That normally happens when the CPU is at its highest speed and is being stressed, and/or is executing AVX2 instructions in a processor stress test run.

For ASRock board's UEFI/BIOS, CPU and Cache Voltage Mode of Auto = Adaptive.

If the VCore Adaptive Voltage Offset is set to Auto, you will get the largest additional voltage above your processor's default or manually set Adaptive VCore Voltage. Also, as the highest speed of the processor is increased by an over clock (increasing the core multipliers above the highest Turbo frequency), the more voltage will be added as the OC increases.

I have an i5-4670K that I've used in ASRock Z87 and Z97 boards. Using Adaptive voltage with a set voltage, and Offset set to Auto, or even a specific value, the VID does not stay at one maximum value. But the amount that it goes beyond the voltage I set in the BIOS depends upon what the Offset Voltage is set to.

The BIOS settings for the CPU can result in major differences in the CPU voltage/VID. If the BIOS settings that you and your friend have are not identical, then you can't compare their CPU voltages. Also, your processors are different models and can't be expected to work exactly the same way.

There are many variables that affect Haswell CPU voltage, from BIOS settings to the Windows Power Plan being used. Add to that different processor models with different base and Turbo clock speeds. I am not at all surprised that the behavior of their CPU voltage usage are different. I would expect them to be different.

If you answer my questions we can sort out at least some of the specific reasons why your CPU voltage is different than your friends, and how to reduce the amount that it increases in some situations.

Thread Information