Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M




  1. #1
    scorpionking is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    middlesex
    Posts
    18

    Angry Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M

    I have the motherboard as above. And I'm trying to install drivers for SSD drive. Every time I go into device manager the drive was showing SCSI Disk. Every time I change the Bios to ACHI the drive shows up as SCSI Disk. Now that I've changed the bios settings from ACHI to IDE the drive is showing up as ATA. When it should be SATA.
    I have previously downloaded the latest drivers ACHI SATA controllers but do not know how to install them as they don't come with a regular install.
    Do I have to make a USB bootable flash drive to install these and does that mean I'm actually flashing the Bios. Or do they Just flash into windows Dos OP system.

    This is some what confusing to me and is getting to be quite an issue. My SSD is not working to it's full potential speed and seems to be bottle necking.
    Could someone please help me out on this one. I've come to a grinding halt at present.



    Thanks


    Kevin

  2. #2
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M

    My first question is, was your OS installation done with the SATA mode set to IDE?

    The driver for IDE, AHCI or RAID is not installed for a disk drive, it is installed for the SATA controller. It sounds like you are trying to install the driver for the SSD itself, which will not work. The only driver used for an individual disk is the one provided by Windows, there are no replacements.

    The drive being identified by Windows as ATA or SCSI is simply how Windows does it, and doesn't matter.

    You need to install the AHCI driver on the Intel SATA controller, which should be listed in Device Manager under IDE/ATA devices, given the information you have provided. That driver is otherwise known as the "F6" driver, which can be manually installed on the Intel SATA controller. It sounds like you have a copy of that driver. Installing that driver via a USB flash drive is done during an OS installation, but you can simply copy it somewhere on a disk drive, and select it during the manual update of the Intel storage controller, on an existing OS installation.

    Otherwise, if the Intel IRST AHCI/RAID controller has its driver installed, it will be listed in DM under Storage Controllers.

    You may have problems if the SATA mode during your OS installation was set to IDE, and you now try to set it to AHCI. That's caused by a Windows driver loading problem. You may need to do a registry edit to allow you to change the SATA mode to AHCI.

    Yes, using a SSD in IDE mode does not allow it to operate at its full potential. You need an AHCI driver for NCQ, which allows an SSD to perform optimally.

  3. #3
    scorpionking is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    middlesex
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    My first question is, was your OS installation done with the SATA mode set to IDE?

    The driver for IDE, AHCI or RAID is not installed for a disk drive, it is installed for the SATA controller. It sounds like you are trying to install the driver for the SSD itself, which will not work. The only driver used for an individual disk is the one provided by Windows, there are no replacements.

    The drive being identified by Windows as ATA or SCSI is simply how Windows does it, and doesn't matter.

    You need to install the AHCI driver on the Intel SATA controller, which should be listed in Device Manager under IDE/ATA devices, given the information you have provided. That driver is otherwise known as the "F6" driver, which can be manually installed on the Intel SATA controller. It sounds like you have a copy of that driver. Installing that driver via a USB flash drive is done during an OS installation, but you can simply copy it somewhere on a disk drive, and select it during the manual update of the Intel storage controller, on an existing OS installation.

    Otherwise, if the Intel IRST AHCI/RAID controller has its driver installed, it will be listed in DM under Storage Controllers.

    You may have problems if the SATA mode during your OS installation was set to IDE, and you now try to set it to AHCI. That's caused by a Windows driver loading problem. You may need to do a registry edit to allow you to change the SATA mode to AHCI.

    Yes, using a SSD in IDE mode does not allow it to operate at its full potential. You need an AHCI driver for NCQ, which allows an SSD to perform optimally.
    Hi,
    Yes I've Just found out this info and done a clean install with ACHI Activated in the Bios. And The SATA Controller has been installed. However I still have the same Issue with the disk showing SCSI which to me is annoying. This is a top of the Range Mercury SSD presumably the best on the market today. And when I bench test it, I get no where near the read \ write speeds it should be operating at. I'm not happy I read on another site basically a person had the same problem and
    after he did clean install the SSD disk showed up as SATA. If now I switch back to IDE, which I will try again it will read ATA. There seems a problem some where which I can not pin down. Thanks for the advice and comments, I really appreciate it. But I must get to the bottom of this, it is still not performing at it's true potential. Any other points or suggestion's you can advice or can come up with would be helpful.


    Thanks

    Kevin

  4. #4
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M

    Are you talking about an OWC Mercury SSD?

    Your board has two SATA III controllers, the native Intel and the add on ASMedia. The ASMedia SATA controller is inferior to the Intel SATA controller, since it uses one PCIe 2.0 lane for its connection between the ASMedia chipset and the board, which is 5Gb/s, not the full 6Gb/s of SATA III.

    It sounds like you have your SSD connected to an ASMedia SATA port, which are the top two gray SATA ports, when the board is mounted in a PC case. Find the location of the two Intel SATA III ports in the manual, although they are most likely the lower two SATA ports.

    Also, if you keep using IDE mode, regardless of the SCSI label seen in Windows, you won't get the maximum performance from your SSD.

  5. #5
    scorpionking is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    middlesex
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Are you talking about an OWC Mercury SSD?

    Your board has two SATA III controllers, the native Intel and the add on ASMedia. The ASMedia SATA controller is inferior to the Intel SATA controller, since it uses one PCIe 2.0 lane for its connection between the ASMedia chipset and the board, which is 5Gb/s, not the full 6Gb/s of SATA III.

    It sounds like you have your SSD connected to an ASMedia SATA port, which are the top two gray SATA ports, when the board is mounted in a PC case. Find the location of the two Intel SATA III ports in the manual, although they are most likely the lower two SATA ports.

    Also, if you keep using IDE mode, regardless of the SCSI label seen in Windows, you won't get the maximum performance from your SSD.
    Yes I am talking about OWC Mercury
    I have been through the manual but is does not stipulate these two intel ports. It only tells you you've got two. Typical useless manual. I read on another website that they are the two on the left with board mounted in the case SATA3-0 and
    SATA3-1. But I also have on the far right SATA3-A0 SATA3-A1. So which two do I go for, in theory I thought that (A) would have stood for As-media. But I could be wrong, I can't find any such instructions in the manual. I would have taken
    a gamble on SATA3-0 and SATA3-A0. But I'm still not positive. So now I have conflicting advice too, you state they are the two lower ones, which I was thinking too. But the person on the other site says there the two on the left. Talk about confusion. This is meant to be the best drive on the market, but I'm having my doubts. And I know manufacturers lie and I won't probably get any where near the results they get in there bench test. But I did expect a true increase in speed and performance, but this is slower than the crucial I just removed. And the issue showing the label with SCSI Disk sounds like another flaw to me, as the drivers are way out of date. Every time I swap ports it loads the driver, but the same old driver. It is certainly frustrating to me. Don't matter what any one says they should show up exactly what they are, which is SATA ACHI. But they do not. Something is not right at all. Why would windows install obsolete SCSI drivers is beyond me. They are 2006 from install. Do you think I am missing the ACHI drivers from
    Intel. I did download some, but maybe thy are the incorrect ones and they did not come with regular install or set up. So I don't know how to install them. I don't know what else to do.

    Thanks

    Kevin
    Last edited by scorpionking; 02-28-2015 at 03:46 PM. Reason: mistake

  6. #6
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M

    ASRock has been consistent in their naming of the ASMedia SATA ports on their boards at least since the Z77 board era. I have the Z77 Extreme4, and as you thought, the SATA3_A0 and SATA3_A1 are the ASMedia ports.

    This is from the Z77 Extreme4-M manual:

    Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M-z77ex4m-png

    The Intel SATA III ports are labeled #13, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1. Their location just under the two ASMedia ports is very common. The remaining black SATA ports are all the Intel SATA II ports.

    I'll try once more... the SATA drivers are not for the individual drives themselves, they are for the SATA storage controllers that are part of the Intel Z77 chipset and the ASMedia 1061 chipset.

    The driver for a disk drive in Windows 8 and Windows 10 Technical Preview is... disk.sys from 2006. Same driver used for IDE, AHCI, or RAID mode, since it has nothing to do with the SATA storage controller and its capabilities. You'll need to ignore that driver, it is not replaceable.

    The Intel AHCI/RAID driver is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility ver:11.7.0.1013 on your board's download page. It unzips to an executable program that is run in Windows. A drive must be connected to at least one of the Intel SATA ports, either SATA II or SATA III, or the driver will not install.

    ASRock > Z77 Extreme4-M

    Put your SSD on port SATA3_0 or SATA3_1, the SATA mode in the BIOS must be AHCI, install the IRST driver listed above, and you are done.

    If you run the benchmark tool AS SSD, you should see "iastorA" as the driver listed in the information on the upper left, if the drive being tested is connected to an Intel SATA port, and the IRST driver is installed.

  7. #7
    scorpionking is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    middlesex
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    ASRock has been consistent in their naming of the ASMedia SATA ports on their boards at least since the Z77 board era. I have the Z77 Extreme4, and as you thought, the SATA3_A0 and SATA3_A1 are the ASMedia ports.

    This is from the Z77 Extreme4-M manual:

    Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M-z77ex4m-png

    The Intel SATA III ports are labeled #13, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1. Their location just under the two ASMedia ports is very common. The remaining black SATA ports are all the Intel SATA II ports.

    I'll try once more... the SATA drivers are not for the individual drives themselves, they are for the SATA storage controllers that are part of the Intel Z77 chipset and the ASMedia 1061 chipset.

    The driver for a disk drive in Windows 8 and Windows 10 Technical Preview is... disk.sys from 2006. Same driver used for IDE, AHCI, or RAID mode, since it has nothing to do with the SATA storage controller and its capabilities. You'll need to ignore that driver, it is not replaceable.

    The Intel AHCI/RAID driver is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility ver:11.7.0.1013 on your board's download page. It unzips to an executable program that is run in Windows. A drive must be connected to at least one of the Intel SATA ports, either SATA II or SATA III, or the driver will not install.

    ASRock > Z77 Extreme4-M

    Put your SSD on port SATA3_0 or SATA3_1, the SATA mode in the BIOS must be AHCI, install the IRST driver listed above, and you are done.

    If you run the benchmark tool AS SSD, you should see "iastorA" as the driver listed in the information on the upper left, if the drive being tested is connected to an Intel SATA port, and the IRST driver is installed.
    I can understand this and from my manual they look to me to be both on the left one on top of the other. I actually did a clean install and my SSD in device manager showed up for once correct as AHCI Disk.
    Then I updated quite a few drivers and it disappeared again. I have tried to install RST driver and today and it said I have the latest one. I also tried to install Rapid start Technology driver and utility but
    it seems to have an issue and a box popped up and said this computer does not meet the requirement for this software.
    I can completely understand what your telling me, but I have just proved my theory right. But I don't know want went wrong again. So would you say that my drive is not connected to the right port, I have it in SATA3-0, and according to the manual that is correct, or maybe you are correct and you have to use SATA3-0 and SATA3-A0 In line.
    Thanks for all your help by the way. It is much appreciated.


    Kevin

  8. #8
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M

    Intel Rapid Start has a sequence of configurations including installing the driver and utility after creating a special partition on the OS drive first. You must enable that option in the BIOS to get started.

    Here is a guide about that from Intel: http://download.intel.com/support/mo...user_guide.pdf

    I don't understand what you mean by you proved your theory right.

    I never said that, "... you have to use SATA3-0 and SATA3-A0 In line". Plus I don't understand the "In line" part.

    What I did say is, "Put your SSD on port SATA3_0 or SATA3_1...", since those are the two Intel SATA III ports on your board.

    If you installed the IRST driver in AHCI mode, its entry in Device Manager will not be under "ATA/IDE Devices", it will be under Storage Controllers. For example:

    Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M-device-manager-storage-controller-png

    Note that I don't have an entry for ATA/IDE Devices, since I don't use the native Windows AHCI driver. I also do not use the ASMedia SATA controller, so no entry for it, it is disabled in the BIOS.

    If you have the IRST driver installed, look in Control Panel for Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Click on that to run the IRST Windows UI. It will show you all the drives connected to the Intel SATA ports, and which port number each drive is using. It will not show anything connected to the ASMedia ports.

  9. #9
    scorpionking is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    middlesex
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Intel Rapid Start has a sequence of configurations including installing the driver and utility after creating a special partition on the OS drive first. You must enable that option in the BIOS to get started.

    Here is a guide about that from Intel: http://download.intel.com/support/mo...user_guide.pdf

    I don't understand what you mean by you proved your theory right.

    I never said that, "... you have to use SATA3-0 and SATA3-A0 In line". Plus I don't understand the "In line" part.

    What I did say is, "Put your SSD on port SATA3_0 or SATA3_1...", since those are the two Intel SATA III ports on your board.

    If you installed the IRST driver in AHCI mode, its entry in Device Manager will not be under "ATA/IDE Devices", it will be under Storage Controllers. For example:

    Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M-device-manager-storage-controller-png

    Note that I don't have an entry for ATA/IDE Devices, since I don't use the native Windows AHCI driver. I also do not use the ASMedia SATA controller, so no entry for it, it is disabled in the BIOS.

    If you have the IRST driver installed, look in Control Panel for Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Click on that to run the IRST Windows UI. It will show you all the drives connected to the Intel SATA ports, and which port number each drive is using. It will not show anything connected to the ASMedia ports.
    I just want to thank you Parsec for all your help. It is much apprecited. I think now I am begining to understand that the system dosen't require SCSI disc drivers as ithe drives are run by SATA Controller, as you mentioned. My drive is showing up as it should. I just ment instead of one on top of the other, that the ports might be adjacent to each other that was all. I did not install with the system in raid, should I have done this. I thought raid was only for two drives supporting windows.
    The other problem I had is with the NFI driver upon install it popped a question in dos mode about creating disc. And I have had this a few times upon install it dosen't always happen and you have to put Y for yes or N for no.
    Then it just seems to get stuck, and back to the same process again, can you please throw any light on that. Also the bench marks are quite inssuficient still, not really good for a top of the range drive at all. IRST installed OK.
    So I don't where to go on from here, have you got anymore sugestions at all.


    Thanks


    Kevin

  10. #10
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M

    There is no requirement to use RAID mode to install the IRST driver, or to get the full benefits of the AHCI features, that are not available in IDE mode. I use RAID mode so I can only show how my DM entries appear in that configuration. RAID mode provides all the features of AHCI mode. AHCI is considered a subset of RAID, with RAID adding the ability to create RAID arrays out of multiple drives.

    You can use RAID mode and never create a RAID array, RAID mode does not require you to use RAID arrays at all. The only constraint of using RAID mode is once you install your OS (on a single drive, or a RAID array) you must always have the SATA mode set to RAID or the PC won't boot. So every time you clear the CMOS/BIOS or do a BIOS update, you must go into the BIOS and set the SATA mode to RAID, since RAID is not the default SATA mode. The default SATA mode is AHCI, and has been for years now, although AHCI drivers were available for years before it became adopted as the standard SATA mode.

    The irony of AHCI features is it was originally developed to enhance the performance of standard HDDs. It was created by Intel and Seagate and became a SATA standard, long before SSDs existed. AHCI, or really the NCQ feature of AHCI, allows SSDs to perform at their true capability.

    I'm not sure what you meant by, "... the NFI driver...", is that the INF driver I imagine? The thing about creating the disk sounds like the so called "F6" driver installation option, which at one time was done from a floppy disk. Otherwise I'm not sure what you were doing.

    It might help me understand what your problem is if you posted a screen shot of the AS SSD benchmark of your SSD.

    Alex Intelligent Software - Downloads

    Scroll down to find the download link. The AS SSD display shows driver and alignment information about the SSD being tested, and checks if AHCI mode is being used. For example:

    Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M-ssd-840-z77-win-8-uefi-mbs-5-10-2013-png

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •