Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Windows Only Sees Sata_0 and Sata_1 on ASR Z97X Killer MB?

Ken429 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Windows Only Sees Sata_0 and Sata_1 on ASR Z97X Killer MB?

There you go, my 4790K running with defaults (except memory). Kind of makes you wonder why even mess with OC'ing on this processor. To get an increase of ~14 GFlops it takes a max of 0.056V additional Vcore and generates a max core temp of 11C more heat. But at least the GFlops are more consistent since it jumps to 4.6GHz and stays there. I'll let you guys compute the increased percentages!
    Attached Images Attached Images Windows Only Sees Sata_0 and Sata_1 on ASR Z97X Killer MB?-linx_maxxmem_4790k_defaults-jpg 

parsec is offline Senior Member

I agree about what is the point of an OC if the return is minimal. But it could be said that your OC to 4.6GHz was not much beyond the standard Turbo speed of 4.4GHz.

Yet another thing to consider is when using stock CPU settings, while stress testing with four cores at 100% usage, Turbo will clock the four cores to 4.2GHz. So the difference between stock and a 4.6GHz OC is not 200MHz, but 400MHz, 10% of the 4790K's base frequency, 4.0GHz.

I'm surprised as well about the variation in the GFLOPs between each run. You thought they are more consistent when running a 4.6GHz, since the core speeds are not changing, as they do at stock settings and Turbo changing the core speeds between 4.4GHz and 4.2GHz.

But consider my Xeon, which is running at stock settings, and whose core speeds change with Turbo too, from 4.0GHz to 3.8GHz. My GFLOP results were not inconsistent as yours were. There must be another reason for the greater inconsistency, unless if you tested multiple times and got the same range of GFLOP values. I'm NOT suggesting you should do that. Something like a background task might have been started, and used some CPU resources.

Apply the core speed ratio and GFLOP ratio thing again with the new '4790K data:

4.6 / 4.2 = 1.095

207 / 194 = 1.067

The core speed difference is 9.5%, and the GFLOP difference is 6.7%. This result ignores the inconsistency, and is a poor pay back on the investment, as you said. But how much can you OC a 4790K? How many owners have them at 5.0GHz? Or 4.8GHz?

I let the system run for 10 minutes after booting. Ran LinX two more times and got similar results -except- the reverse of what I got the first time I ran it (previous post) with the default settings?
    Attached Images Attached Images Windows Only Sees Sata_0 and Sata_1 on ASR Z97X Killer MB?-more_linx_4790k_defaults-png 

That is weird, weird, weird. I have no idea what the cause of that is...

But I have read that, I believe it is HWBot, that collects CPU and other benchmarks, has declared benchmark runs in Windows 8/8.1 as invalid. They don't include them their benchmark lists. That is apparently caused by the timer or system clock used by Win 8/8.1 (IIRC) compared to how it is done in Windows 7. Is this related to what we see here?

I sure don't know, but I don't think this is something to be worried about. It's not a thermal throttling problem, your CPU temps are fine and of course higher at 4.6GHz. Interesting how consistent the inconsistency is, just one run out of range. We would need to see other 4790K results at stock speeds to see if they do that too.

Final thought on this thread! Is it safe to say that MaxxMem is ready for retirement or is AIDA64 wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images Windows Only Sees Sata_0 and Sata_1 on ASR Z97X Killer MB?-maxxmem_aida64-jpg 

How in the world could we know which is right or wrong? How would we know who is right? How would we know if both are wrong?

The Intel spec of their Haswell i7, i5, and Xeon E3 processors for maximum memory bandwidth is 25.6GB/s. They say that is for read and write. The G3258 is 21.3GB/s, at 1333.

But, is that at the maximum memory speed spec for these processors, 1600? It must be. Your memory is 2400, mine runs at 2000.

We tend to think these things are simple, but they aren't. We have no idea how each program works. We know MaxxMEM is not up to date with Windows 8 and Haswell processors. AIDA64 is, so IMO it is more likely to be correct. But I base that opinion on nothing more than that.

Gotta throw one more thing into this, which surprised me frankly.

This is my i5-4670K on my Z87 OC Formula board, with a simple OC to 4.0GHz:

Windows Only Sees Sata_0 and Sata_1 on ASR Z97X Killer MB?-linx-4670k-4ghz-jpg

183 GFLOPs peak. I was expecting a greater difference between an i5-4670K and an i7-4790K. Note that my CPU is an i5-4670K, not a DC Haswell processor.

Granted my VCore is higher than the i7-4790K, my 4670K is not a great over clocker, voltage wise, and the VCore is not optimized.

So ~10GFLOPs more on the i7-4790K, which ran at 4.2GHz stock Turbo. I'd ask you to disable hyper threading and run a test, but not important.

There you go. I changed the Memory to 4096 for what that's worth. Looks like the 4790K likes to run with Hyper Threading disabled! Also, what do I have to do to LinX to get the bigger display?
    Attached Images Attached Images Windows Only Sees Sata_0 and Sata_1 on ASR Z97X Killer MB?-linx_4790k_defaults_nohyperthreading_4096-jpg 

I should of left the memory size the same as your earlier runs for comparison, increasing the memory size increases the GFLOPs.

So we don't really know if disabling Hyper Threading causes the increase in GFLOPs. I'll use 2048 and do another run.

To change the display, note that when a test run is complete, in the lower right corner of the LinX window you'll find Log. You can see it in your last post. Just click it and the display will change. When Log is displayed, the word changes to Table, which is the default display. You can toggle back and forth between the two.

Are you aware of the Save Screenshot option in the File option on the upper left side of the LinX window?

Hmm, so much for that theory...

Windows Only Sees Sata_0 and Sata_1 on ASR Z97X Killer MB?-linx-4670k-4ghz-2-jpg

For some reason the HWiNFO power usage information is crazy low, after enabling higher power in the UEFI.

I just noticed you did do a run a 2048, at the top of page 3, so disabling hyper threading increases the GFLOP results. That might indicate why some gamers say they prefer Intel i5 processors, which do not have Hyper Threading. Actually, they should be disabling Hyper Threading on i7 processors.

Still, the processor speeds are not the same, I should do a 4.2GHz run...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information