Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: booting from SM951

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: booting from SM951

Quote Originally Posted by delsolo View Post
    There is a new bios for the Amd 970 performance with improved M.2 compatibility, does it boot the sm951?
    I doubt that BIOS update for that board includes support for the SM951. The BIOS version that includes support for the SM951 for the Z97 Extreme6 board is listed as a Beta BIOS version, and not included in the main BIOS download list. The Z97 Extreme6 board is the only ASRock board at this time that even has a Beta BIOS version like this.

bogomips is offline Junior Member

Question Re: booting from SM951

Quote Originally Posted by ASRock TSD-Eddy View Post
    Dear paulsd&parsec

Thanks for your question and suggestion.
    Due to SM951 is a new release product with PCIE3.0 bandwidth and this card have two type (AHCI, NVMe).
    We have test this SSD recently in our lab.
    Please try to download attached special BIOS L2.01N.
    This BIOS have add SM951 M.2 device compatibility.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0D...ew?usp=sharing

Please also note, if want to install this SSD as boot OS device, please install it as GPT mode.
    If any question please feel free to contact us.

ASRock TSD
    Eddy
    Hi Eddy

The most current bios version for the Z97 Extreme 6, is v2.30.
    I presume v2.30 supersedes the older L2.01N beta bios you provided, and if I'm to try make the SM951 work with the Extreme 6 board currently, then I should flash version 2.30, and not version L2.01N?

Thanks!

You will need the special bois BIOS L2.01N. to allow the SM951 drive to show up in the boot list as Boot manager.I had all sorts of problems until they gave me this bois update,you can always use your backup bis if you run into trouble.

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply.

I did read this thread carefully. Your install and bios issues were at the end of March.

Since then, and the L2.01bios, there has been two beta bios versions, and two stable bios versions published.

I'd assume that the fixes from L2.01 would be included in the newer versions? So I'm hoping to install the latest, stable version rather than the beta.

Have you since tried any of the new bios versions? Are you still on L2.01?

Thanks!

Yes I am still on the L2.01,no reason to change it at the moment. As I said you have a backup bois if you run into problems, that bois was the only way I could use the new sm951 drive, no other bois would work. Have not tried the newer bois so cannot comment but I will say that every time I check for updates it says I have the correct bois loaded.

Dear bogomips,

We suggest to use the latest BIOS P2.30 from our website.
    The 2.01n BIOS is based on P2.00 and add BIOS> Storage Configuration of MVME option to show your NVME device ( this modify will not influence the device working.)

As Mr. paulsd said, it's good idea to use the other BIOS as backup BIOS file.

ASRock
    TSD Eddy

Dear bogomips,

The 2.01n BIOS is based on P2.00 and add BIOS> Storage Configuration of MVME option to show your NVME device ( this modify will not influence the device working.)

ASRock
    TSD Eddy
    Great! Thanks for the reply Eddy!
    I thought 2.30 would be the right option.

I'm getting the last part for my build tomorrow, then will give it a try!

Thanks!

Dear bogomips,

ASRock
    TSD Eddy
    Just reporting back-

Upgraded my ASRock Extreme 6 bios from 1.40 to 2.30 and the SM951 M.2 drive picked up with no problems.

I managed to install Windows 7 on it using Ramcity's suggested method (USB stick doing a UEFI boot, GPT partitioning). Worked great - no problems with the install or detection.

Big thanks to Eddy and everyone in this thread!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information