Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: difference between AXTU programs

WillyG is offline Junior Member

Default difference between AXTU programs

Does it really matter which AXTU (ASrock Extreme tune utility) is used with each motherboard?
    I've tried a couple of different versions and didn't see any change.
    I'm have a P67 extreme 6

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: difference between AXTU programs

In general, you're right, it doesn't make a difference.

I wouldn't use a version of AXTU that is older than the oldest version listed for your board. The way that AXTU (and F-Stream and A-Tuning) is implemented, it is possible that an earlier version would not support your board. Also, updates to AXTU for newer boards with different chipsets (Z77, etc) does not mean anything was changed for your board. Each mother board has a file of its own that AXTU uses to display the options and settings that can be configured. If the file for your board was not modified in a later release of AXTU, then nothing changes, as you know.

Also, there is a version of AXTU for your board that is meant to be used with Ivy Bridge processors. The settings in that version of AXTU may be changed for the needs of Ivy Bridge processors, and don't apply as well or at all to Sandy Bridge processors. Have you tried that version?

You need the BIOS update for Ivy Bridge processors too, which I don't suggest that Sandy Bridge CPU users use. It's easy to do that special BIOS update wrong, which leaves you with a partially to fully bricked board. A new BIOS chip will fix that, but why go through all that?

WillyG is offline Junior Member

Something interesting I found was P67 Extreme6 and P67 Extreme4 on their ASRock download pages don't use the same version of AXTU.
    There aren't very many Motherboards that are almost identical as those two are. I would have thought they would use the same.
    Anyway, thanks for your input on the matter Parsec.

parsec is offline Senior Member

All it takes is one of those boards having one more fan header, or more sophisticated control of one of the fan headers, and the version of AXTU will be different. But the real difference is in the file each board has that defines the capabilities available on that board. The difference in the files may be a few lines, but it is different. That different file for the other board then causes a new version of AXTU to be released, but the other board's file was unchanged, so no need for a new version.

Thread Information