Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asrock 990FX Extreme9 USB 3.0 problem

Default Asrock 990FX Extreme9 USB 3.0 problem

I have an Asrock 990FX Extreme9 motherboard with appropriate USB drivers installed. I have one three internal drives: SATA HDD, SATA SSD and IDE HDD, they work fine.

I have also an external 2 TB USB 3.0 drive which I keep massive data files in, including music and until recently Ė OracleVM virtual machines. A couple of days ago my OracleVM virtual Windows crashed and stopped loading. I then coppied the file to the SATA HDD and the OS loaded again without any problem.

When I listen to music, some audio files randomly show signs of some kind of a glitch: sometimes the track, instead of playing the audio from start to finish, replaces a random 1 second sample by the one that was just played (so I get the same audio sample twice) and continues the audio as if nothing happened. At first I thought it was a software glitch or a audio coding problem, but it happens to the same file in every audio player, and disappears as soon as I restart the USB drive.

The problem did not exist with my previous motherboard where I used a PCIE expansion card for USB 3.0, and it does not exist when I plug in the external drive to a USB 2.0 slot.

The problem is completely random and I have absolutely no idea where to start looking.

Default Re: Asrock 990FX Extreme9 USB 3.0 problem

If using Win7 (or like), select the partition of problem (e.g. h:), open its properties, from tools tab select "check now" and check to see there is no error on that drive.
    If XP, open command prompt (cmd) as administrator and run "chkdsk h: /f".
    (I omit windows 9x assuming you are not using any.)

Quote Originally Posted by bahram_alinezhad View Post
    If using Win7 (or like), select the partition of problem (e.g. h:), open its properties, from tools tab select "check now" and check to see there is no error on that drive.
    If XP, open command prompt (cmd) as administrator and run "chkdsk h: /f".
    (I omit windows 9x assuming you are not using any.)
    I’m using Windows 7 64-bit edition and "check disk" function reported no errors.

The problem persists. I noticed that other USB data storage devices distort data when plugged to USB 3.0 slots, they sometimes are not being reconized or randomly refuse to work.

I downloaded the updated Etron USB 3.0 driver from their website, the system BSOD crashed (BSOD) immediately after installation. I had no choice than to roll back to the previous version of the driver.

Since it is obviously a faulty USB 3.0 driver, there is no solution to the problem. I had copied all the data from my external drive using USB 3.0 interface, and many files were showing signs of corruption. I’m currently copying all my files via USB 2.0 interface from the external drive, as it’s more or less useless now.
    Last edited by UTF16; 05-27-2015 at 05:45 PM.

Some Etron chips was problematic. see here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/4...0-problem.html
    although it was about EJ168 but yours is EJ188.
    Test different drivers and some may be good. Inform others please.

SandsOfTime is offline Member

Give this a try. Download the latest Etron USB 3.0 driver 0.119 available from this site: USB 3.0 Drivers (original and modded). Choose "complete Drivers and Software Set".

Disconnect all devices from the Etron USB 3.0 ports!
    Uninstall current etron usb 3.0 driver.
    Reboot!
    Install 0.119 driver.
    Reboot!

Connect your external case. Is there any change to the better?
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Quote Originally Posted by SandsOfTime View Post
    Give this a try. Download the latest Etron USB 3.0 driver 0.119 available from this site: USB 3.0 Drivers (original and modded). Choose "complete Drivers and Software Set".

Reboot!
    Install 0.119 driver.
    Reboot!

Thanks for the tip. The driver 0.119 has been successfully installed. Since the problem occurs randomly once in a while, itís not possible to tell if it has been resolved. Iíll experiment a bit and see if itís got better.

Reboot!
    Install 0.119 driver.
    Reboot!

Thank you giving that helpful link.
    I downloaded all drivers of that page to have as archive.
    For my boards, USB3s are NEC and AMD, no one on that page. (why?!)

The newer driver didnít help. Music and video files are still corrupted. Games cannot be installed from this drive or to this drive.

SandsOfTime is offline Member

Which means there is an incompatibility between the etron chip of the mainboard and the usb-sata-bridge inside your external hdd drive. I would recommend to use a PCIe USB 3.0 addon card with a NEC/Renesas chip inside the PCIE2 or PCIE3 slot of your mainboard. This cards are available for just under 10 €. Here is a list of suitable cards.
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Which means there is an incompatibility between the etron chip of the mainboard and the usb-sata-bridge inside your external hdd drive. I would recommend to use a PCIe USB 3.0 addon card with a NEC/Renesas chip inside the PCIE2 or PCIE3 slot of your mainboard. This cards are available for just under 10 Ä. Here is a list of suitable cards.
    I was reluctant to use this solution since I have to use a PCIE slot just like that and there is no guarantee other devices donít suffer from the same data distortion. But itís fine for this time, I guess. Iíve heard Windows 8 (and probably 10) natively support USB 3, Iíll experiment with that when I have time.

The drive in question is "Lacie minimus".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information