Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random freezing with AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0

Default Re: Random freezing with AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0

ManuteSwol,

Seems like I have exactly same problem Z170 Pro4S system freeze - ASRock Forums

Different model, but root cause could be common..

Have you found any solution to this?

ManuteSwol is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tor11 View Post
    ManuteSwol,

Seems like I have exactly same problem Z170 Pro4S system freeze - ASRock Forums

Different model, but root cause could be common..

Have you found any solution to this?
    Nope, still nothing.

Since my last post, I've replaced the video card. Still, the issue is present.

Sometimes I go two months without seeing it, sometimes it happens twice in an hour. There's no rhyme or reason to this.

It doesn't appear to be heat related, PSU related, OC related or GPU related.

About the G.Skill memory, it is not in the memory supported list.. however, I'm running it at 1600, not the 1866 it is rated at.. though I may as well set it back to 1866. The problem was not better or worse. There is a G.Skill memory on the chart that they say is supported at 1800 (rated at 2266), so I'm doubtful this is the cause.

All SMART attributes for all drives look good as well.

I see the board now has a more recent BIOS update.. though last time I did an update, it cleared my entire BIOS config -- lol.

One difference I see between our situations, is that I do not get any sound when the freeze happens. However, I have a dedicated sound card.. so maybe that is the difference.

I'd also like to note.. and I'm not an electrical engineer, but an engineer in software.. this has always felt like a power management / energy saving issue. In other words, the system goes from idle to busy (but not too busy) and the power just isn't there for whatever needs it.. and POOF.

The ONLY way I was able to reproduce the exact same scenario, was to OC the CPU and run Prime95.
    Last edited by ManuteSwol; 11-30-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManuteSwol View Post
    Sometimes I go two months without seeing it, sometimes it happens twice in an hour. There's no rhyme or reason to this.
    Yes, that's exactly my experience too.

About the G.Skill memory, it is not in the memory supported list.. however, I'm running it at 1600, not the 1866 it is rated at.. though I may as well set it back to 1866. The problem was not better or worse. There is a G.Skill memory on the chart that they say is supported at 1800 (rated at 2266), so I'm doubtful this is the cause.
    My memory is on the supported list, but I had a lot of trouble with it initially. System was very slow to boot after power-up, but I haven't had that problem since then. Perhaps memory compatibility got better in later BIOS updates.

One difference I see between our situations, is that I do not get any sound when the freeze happens. However, I have a dedicated sound card.. so maybe that is the difference.
    This is interesting as it rules out onboard sound device as a culprit, if we indeed have a same hardware issue here.

I'd also like to note.. and I'm not an electrical engineer, but an engineer in software.. this has always felt like a power management / energy saving issue. In other words, the system goes from idle to busy (but not too busy) and the power just isn't there for whatever needs it.. and POOF.
    Do you mean some internal power management features of the CPU? Might be that ASRock made some bad implementation with their hardware there, hard to say .. and very hard to debug apparently.

Thanks for reply.

Yes, that's exactly my experience too.

My memory is on the supported list, but I had a lot of trouble with it initially. System was very slow to boot after power-up, but I haven't had that problem since then. Perhaps memory compatibility got better in later BIOS updates.

This is interesting as it rules out onboard sound device as a culprit, if we indeed have a same hardware issue here.

Do you mean some internal power management features of the CPU? Might be that ASRock made some bad implementation with their hardware there, hard to say .. and very hard to debug apparently.

Thanks for reply.
    Again, I only have a little bit of knowledge from a components standpoint but..

I researched this issue quite a bit. I thought it was related to the video card, but I now suspect the motherboard. Modern CPUs (and GPUs for that matter) are all about efficiency and can jump clock speeds instantly due to increased load. Some of these menial tasks I suspect, can cause multiple fluctuations in clock speed within a very short amount of time. When this clock speed jump occurs, additional power is required. If something is lacking on the motherboard -- something underpowered, underclocked or there's a component of lesser quality (say, a capacitor).. the CPU isn't going to get the juice it needs when it needs it. Result? A hard freeze.

If I wanted to invest more time in this, I'd try increasing various voltages, but the problem is so sporadic.. you'd go 3-4 weeks thinking you're in the clear, then the same issue occurs once more.

There's a small piece of me that thinks it is NIC- or USB-related, but how often is it we are using the NIC or USB? It is constantly being worked...

I fear we've just been saddled with inferior motherboards which will haunt us with occasional freezes.

I fear we've just been saddled with inferior motherboards which will haunt us with occasional freezes.
    I'm afraid this the case here..

I was thinking it might be an inferior capacitors (advertised as high quality though), but yeah...

Probably a dead end.

I'm afraid this the case here..

I was thinking it might be an inferior capacitors (advertised as high quality though), but yeah...

Probably a dead end.
    Ironically, this issue has recently gotten much worse for me.

I was averaging about one freeze per month... in the past week or so, I've seen it happen several times.

This last time, I wasn't even at the desktop.. it was idling with a not very demanding game open.

I'm probably going to go ahead and just replace the motherboard at this point.

I guess I should look into the warranty at this point... but can't definitively prove it's the board, don't want to pay to send this turd in.. and quite frankly, don't know if I'd want it back... and I'd be without for who knows how long..
    Last edited by ManuteSwol; 12-05-2016 at 07:10 AM.

So I've down several things lately and haven't froze.

I'm not close to declaring victory, but thought I'd share what I found.

First, I lowered my CPU voltage as far as it would go w/o freezing on Prime95

I increased RAM voltage by 0.025

I disabled C1E

I increased Minimum Processor State to 100% in Windows Power Options

Again, I only have a little bit of knowledge from a components standpoint but..

I researched this issue quite a bit. I thought it was related to the video card, but I now suspect the motherboard. Modern CPUs (and GPUs for that matter) are all about efficiency and can jump clock speeds instantly due to increased load. Some of these menial tasks I suspect, can cause multiple fluctuations in clock speed within a very short amount of time. When this clock speed jump occurs, additional power is required. If something is lacking on the motherboard -- something underpowered, underclocked or there's a component of lesser quality (say, a capacitor).. the CPU isn't going to get the juice it needs when it needs it. Result? A hard freeze.

If I wanted to invest more time in this, I'd try increasing various voltages, but the problem is so sporadic.. you'd go 3-4 weeks thinking you're in the clear, then the same issue occurs once more.

There's a small piece of me that thinks it is NIC- or USB-related, but how often is it we are using the NIC or USB? It is constantly being worked...

Power phases/VRM is very important factor in motherboard quality, as well as its capacitors. However, the above issue seems not to be related to capacitors; Asrock capacitors are of good quality ceramic types which never inflate. On the other hand, I believe Asrock has motherboards without good voltage regulators. As a proof, I have two external hard drives (portable size), connect them to various desktop/laptop computers. Each computer these drives can work on with a single USB cable, is a stable, reliable computer. Inversely, each computer these drives can't work without using another auxiliary cable, has sporadic stability problems. I relate this USB power to board's Power phases and voltage regulators.
    Even though, changing memories or at least its settings is best practice to improve the stability.
    I have an Asrock motherboard with unsupported corsair memories which has stability problems. When the room is warm, 8,8,8,24 works good, while when room is cold, working timings is 7,7,7,24.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information