Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Z97 Extreme6 Sata3_3 and Sata3_4 problems

Ken429 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z97 Extreme6 Sata3_3 and Sata3_4 problems

Cancel my Raid Request. I figured it out for W8. Msconfig>Safe Boot, Turn on Raid in BIOS, Reboot W8 and use Msconfig to turn off Safe Boot. After all that, I learned that the Raid driver did not make any difference W8 still would not recognize a "new" formatted drive. However, I did learn that W8 did recognize the new drive when it was running in Safe Mode! So I guess that means that one of the programs that I use on all my system must not like Z97 Chips!? Short of uninstalling everything any ideas on how to find the bad guy?

Looks like it is EaseUS ToDo Backup service is getting me. As soon as I Disable the EaseUS Agent Service using MSConfig the problem goes away! It was a little hard to find because once W8.1 recognizes a drive it does not forget. So I had to keep switching ports so that W8.1 would not recognize it. Luckily the EaseUS Service is the first non-Microsoft service so it was close to the top of the MSConfig Services list.
    Last edited by Ken429; 05-17-2015 at 12:08 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Interesting, I used EasyUS once a while ago, but don't recall any drive recognition problems. Glad you learned that was the problem, which I hope stays fixed. Note how your frustration turned into contempt for Z97, but you were patient before you finally broke down. A lesson for us in that, software can breaks thing too, it's not always faulty hardware. Plus all the theories we come up with, creating issues that don't exist.

I've had one SSD that would not be recognized in the UEFI but was fine in Win 8, an Intel 530. Even better, it was the OS drive and booted fine every time.

My procedure for adding new drives:

Clear the CMOS/UEFI/BIOS before starting the PC after any change in drives, whether adding, removing, or moving to different SATA ports. Use the UEFI profiles feature to restore your settings, takes a few clicks to save or restore.

It might take a restart or two for a drive to be recognized in the UEFI or Windows. One boot with a new or already formatted drive is not enough with the new Intel SATA chipsets, or possibly the SATA POST procedure of the UEFI. Particularly important when enabling Fast Boot in the UEFI.

Check and set the SATA Device Type in the drive details in Storage Configuration, either SSD or HDD. I wish I knew what this actually does, all I know is it seems to make a difference.

Don't trust SATA data cables. Fortunately they are cheap, I have a collection of bad and questionable examples. I wish someone made a high quality SATA data cable, which really means the connectors. When they start to feel loose in the SATA ports, out with them!

Don't forget that new, unformatted and uninitialized drives will not be recognized by Windows Explorer. If a drive is not seen after installation in Windows, start Disk Management and see what happens.

Drives over 2.2TB in size must be formatted as GPT for all the capacity to be recognized.

New drives are more questionable in their operation than older ones. If the storage sub-system is acting strange, don't forget which drive was the last one added to the system.

If anyone has a tip of their own to add, please do.

I am confused! Is this software (EaseUS) part of windows 8 or separate? I remember somewhere Ken emphasized that he installed a fresh windows but got same results!

Recognition or not recognition of a drive in windows depends on recognition of its controller; So if a drive is detected in bios, and the attached controller is properly installed in windows, the drive should be detected (not necessarily in explorer).
    Add-on software can interfere the recognition process when they do not communicate with system drivers, rather, they communicate directly with ports and use their own internal drivers.

Ken's problem was of type I had never encounter before! It is a bad sign of annoying bugs in newer UEFI bioses which are expected to be smarter and more powerful treating such old categories: auto detection of hard drives!!

Another tip to parsec ones is Testing the system with a startup disk and comparing the results with windows. This startup disk can be a DOS disk which depends only on bios procedures and shows whatever bios detected (this was also the windows 9x behavior), can be a linux live cd, or can be one of many startup, diagnostics or recover utilities like UBCD and Acronis Partition Recovery. Such an action distinguishes hardware from software problem and the user finds more suitable forum or more suitable title to discuss.
    Last edited by bahram_alinezhad; 05-17-2015 at 04:55 AM.

EaseUs backup is a third party program, not part of Windows.

Just a follow up on the EaseUS ToDo Home Backup issue.

For starters the problem is: When a new drive or a drive is changed to a different Intel SATA Port the drive will not be recognized by W8.1 if the EaseUS Agent Services is service is enabled. To get W8.1 to recognize the drive the EaseUS Agent Services must be Disabled via MSConfig.exe. After W8.1 reboots and recognizes the SATA Port changes EaseUS Agent Service can be Enable and W8.1 will be OK until the next time Intel SATA Port changes are made. While all this is going on the BIOS always recognizes all the drives on the Intel SATA Ports. The ASMedia SATA Ports are not affected. The problem is 100% repeatable on two different ASRock Z97 Extreme6/4790K systems.

After spending almost two hours working with the EaseUS technical support people nothing was resolved! I'm not sure they even understood the problem even thought they were connected and reconnected several times to my machine and saw the issue first hand. There is definitely a language/communication barrier. Hopefully, I won't run into any other issues with this software because my confidence level in their ability to support the product in the USA is at a very low level even though they are responsive and act like they want to help. It's kind of a shame since the product does a lot of things very well and is easy to use.
    Last edited by Ken429; 05-22-2015 at 07:47 PM.

I'm not surprised that nothing was resolved after working with the EaseUS technical support staff. The problem is caused by the way the EaseUS Agent Service code is written. That can't be changed on the fly or apparently even by running the Agent Service program with different options. A decision was made in the design process regarding how the destination drive for an automatic backup would be identified if the drives in a system were changed.

Rather than deal with the many possibilities, methods, and problems needed to resolve that situation, they chose to treat the drive arrangement as static and unchanging. They seem to lock the SATA ports used for the backups from being used in any other way than the original configuration when the automated backup was defined by the user. This method is not perfect even in solving the main problem, and causes the side affects that you experienced.

It's even possible that the programmer(s) were not aware that the commands/instructions they used would cause what you discovered.

I worked as a programmer for many years, you would be surprised how complex and difficult seemingly simple things are to accomplish when they are translated into a program. Most of the programming effort is not applied to the basic goal itself, but on dealing with exceptional situations and error conditions. Reducing or removing the amount of "what if..." scenarios from a program's design makes it so much easier to accomplish.

Parsec,

After spending 30+ years in systems and programming and mainframe support I have or should I say had a higher opinion of technical support.

EaseUS ToDo Home Backup does a fine job of Cloning drives but I' finding out that the system recovery part is more of a placebo than real! I must be having a bad day because nothing I try with their recovery software works for me today. I don't know if it's W8.1 and GPT formatting and or UEFI integration or what but I' coming up empty on everything I try. My old standby is Acronis 2014 build 6673 standalone still works but I ran into issues with the Windows version.

So...I'm ready to try someone else, what back software are you using/recommending with the ASRock MB's. I'm thinking of giving Nova V17 a try.
    Last edited by Ken429; 05-24-2015 at 08:00 PM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Years ago Lsdmeasap recommended Macrium Reflect Free and I've found it to be excellent for backing up and restoring my O/S drive. I use its free winPE environment from a bootable optical drive where I backup to and restore from one my my 3TB external drives.

The paid version of the Reflect software offers additional useful features and from time to time they offer a 20% - 30% discounted price.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Another vote for Macrium Reflect here. I'll add another link to that of Prof Jim's, to their feature list:

Feature List - Macrium Software

Note it contains "Support for the latest UEFI motherboards with GPT booting.", and "Easily rotate backup destinations by specifying a list of alternate backup locations.".

I doubt Macrium does anything like EaseUs apparently does, by locking out changes in drive or SATA ports.

So all technical support is the same? You know that is not true. Unless the EaseUS tech support includes a programmer that knows the internals of their code, would they know enough to explain the SATA port situation? Even if they knew, would they admit to it?

Ok, I'm a Reflect convert. I've played with the free version and it appears to do everything correctly no frills but straight forward and logical. I made a couple of WinPE bootable USB sticks and they work on MBR and GPT systems. As usual, I stumbled into a minor issue - make sure the USB stick is freshly formatted before letting Reflect build the WinPE version or strange things happen when you try to boot from it. I haven't tried swapping hard drives and SATA ports but I'm sure Reflect will handle the changes. I really want the paid version that will allow daily scheduled file backups but $70 is a little steep.

I haven't tried restoring a system since I hate to do that unless I really have a disaster on my hands. Just to play it ultra safe after my EaseUS Todo Home Backup experience going from V7 to V8 to V8.1 to V8.2 and finally to V8.3 without testing a restore after V7 I have made system backups using my old reliable Acronis Offline 2014 program. I know it works!

Hopefully, since I have registered Reflect multiple times I will get notification of when the paid version is on sale. But just in case I don't, ProfJim could you please let me know via a post here if you see something that says the discount is available.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information