Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: PC Fails to boot with latest SAS HD connected

Jimmy Jump is offline Junior Member

Default PC Fails to boot with latest SAS HD connected

Bought a factory refurbished Seagate Constellation 4TB SAS Hard Drive (88hrs on its clock) and connected it to my AsRock Z77 Extreme11 mainboard (to replace an older Barracuda 1.5TB drive) as the 10th Hard Drive (all Seagate Barracuda 2TB/3TB/4TB SATA HDs, plus 2 4TB Constellation SAS drives. OS drive is an OCZ SSD Agility 3).

All worked a-okay.

Transferred some 500GB of files to it, mostly Formula One races; even watched a couple of them, all without a problem. Temperature on the latest Constellation was around 30C (measured through AIDA64).

Powered off the PC when I went to bed last night and when I powered the PC on again a couple of hours ago, it didn't boot through.

PC hung (not frozen) at the Windows banner's pulsating colours. Trying to reboot into safe mode got the PC getting stuck while loading the system32 drivers. Rebooting into repair mode got the PC stuck on the blue Windows backdrop with the white swirls in it.

On a whim, I decided to disconnect the latest added HD (said Constellation SAS) and PC booted to the desktop as normal. Re-connected the SAS and disconnected a regular SATA HD gave the same problem as initially described.

I've connected the Constellation after the PC booted and went into Disk Management to do a disk rescan, but the program crashes when scanning.

Am unable to test the drive in another computer since the Extreme11 board I have is the only one with SAS connectors.

OS is Win7 Ultimate 64-bits with latest updates (May 2015) installed. Extreme11 BIOS is the original 2012 one.

Wonder what's going on here...

*EDIT*

After Disk Management's scan-crash, the 4TB HD showed up, but as a "local disk" which is unaccessible (bar at top of screen slowly evolves to green, but never reaches the end)...

Trying to do a fresh rescan has Disk Management stuck in "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service" mode...
    Last edited by Jimmy Jump; 05-16-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Default Re: PC Fails to boot with latest SAS HD connected

*UPDATE*

Swapped a couple of discs around, rebooted, and got a screen saying disc K (the 4TB SAS HD) needed a diskcheck.

I let Windows do the check, got a message a few sectors were "unreadable" and PC booted to desktop, after which the drivers of the swapped disks (including the 'K' SAS HD) were installed.

After that, the SAS HD is sitting in "Computer" again as "Local Disk". In Disk Management the HD is seen as "Raw" and Empty...

Am gonna let GetDataBack have a go on the drive to see if I can recuperate some of the files before formatting the bugger...

Default Re: PC Fails to boot with latest SAS HD connected

Okay. Retrieved the 655GB worth of data from the SAS "RAW" partition with GetDataBack,
    PC Fails to boot with latest SAS HD connected-getdataback_001-jpg
    reformatted the 'faulty' Constellation drive to NTFS, did a check with SeaTools and also checked for firmware updates. No errors after check, no updates as the HD had the latest firmware already.

PC boots up fine again. Copied the files that went awol back to it too; "copied" this time, as I want to see what happens in the next couple of days/weeks.

Looks like it's once again one of those mysterious kok-ups Windows seems to have up its sleeve once in a wee while, as it for some unfathomable reason swapped the NTFS partition back to a RAW one...

This topic can be considered solved and the thread can be closed.

Thread Information