Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which BIOS version for Z97M Anniversary?

Default Which BIOS version for Z97M Anniversary?

Hi,

I am using a Windows 7 Pro system with Z97M Anniversary board. The firmware is the original release version 1.1.

I am not having any issues (I have UEFI disabled so that I can boot from rescue disks).
    I want to update my BIOS, in anticipation of getting Windows 10 soon.

The ASRock web page
    ASRock > Z97M Anniversary
    shows ver 1.9 to be the latest.

The ASRock A-Tuning utility (latest version) shows ver 1.6 as available (even though the above web page does not even list that version!).

Question 1: Should I update my BIOS?
    Question 2: Which version should I get: 1.6 through A-Tuning? or 1.9 from the ASRock web site?

Thanks.
    PS: Should I even bother updating the BIOS?

SandsOfTime is offline Member

Default Re: Which BIOS version for Z97M Anniversary?

Well, there is this sentence on the ASRock web site above all BIOS downloads saying: "We donít recommend users to update the BIOS if their system is already running normally."
    On the other hand, there are a lot of improvements for your motherboard between initial version 1.10 and current version 1.90. So imho it is useful to update to version 1.90 via Instant Flash method as described here: ASRock - BIOS Upgrade Instruction.
    If you are overclocking, it is strongly recommended to reset BIOS to default values before update. Don't remove the usb stick right after the bios update, because after a reboot of the pc the update of Intel management engine (ME) starts and must not be interrupted.
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Quote Originally Posted by SandsOfTime View Post
    Well, there is this sentence on the ASRock web site above all BIOS downloads saying: "We donít recommend users to update the BIOS if their system is already running normally."
    On the other hand, there are a lot of improvements for your motherboard between initial version 1.10 and current version 1.90. So imho it is useful to update to version 1.90 via Instant Flash method as described here: ASRock - BIOS Upgrade Instruction.
    Will the update process verify that ver 1.9 is suitable for my hardware?
    I'm concerned that the ASRock utility is suggesting ver 1.6. Maybe it knows about the specific revision # of my board and thinks that 1.6 is the latest version suitable for it ...

Can I backup my current BIOS (1.1) in the BIOS setup and revert to it if the update process gets hosed up (assuming I can still get to the BIOS setup page!)?

Quote Originally Posted by SandsOfTime View Post
    If you are overclocking, it is strongly recommended to reset BIOS to default values before update. Don't remove the usb stick right after the bios update, because after a reboot of the pc the update of Intel management engine (ME) starts and must not be interrupted.
    I'm using the defaults except changing the boot device and disabling UEFI.

Does it matter if UEFI is enabled or disabled during the BIOS update?

Thanks.

The update process will accept BIOS files only if they are suitable for the hardware. You can't backup your current BIOS, but you can download the 1.10 version from ASRock web site.
    You must enter UEFI to start Instant Flash utility by hitting DEL or F2 key during boot. I'm not sure if this is possible with a disabled UEFI.
    ---

I'm confused now.

I downloaded ver 1.9 from ASRock > Z97M Anniversary
    The .zip file has a single file in it called "Z97MANY1.90" I copied this to a USB drive (FAT32).

Instant Flash does not recognize this file.

I did an Internet update from within my UEFI Bios. It detected and downloaded ver 1.6 (same version that A-Tuning utility detects as the newest BIOS).

I flashed to ver 1.6. I now have a file A1178.ROM on my USB drive. This file is detected by Instant Flash.

So, what should be the extension of BIOS files for the files to be recognized by Instant Flash?
    Should I rename the ver 1.9 file to "Z97MANY1.90.ROM"? and retry?

Should I even mess with any version newer than 1.6, which is what the BIOS and A-Tuning thinks is the latest?

Oddly, ver 1.6 isn't even listed on the BIOS download page above ...

Could it be that your motherboard is not a Z97M Anniversary, but a Z97 Anniversary? It would explain why Instant Flash rejected the Z97M Anni. 1.90 BIOS file. And the newest BIOS file for the Z97 Anniversary is 1.60!
    ---

That's it!!

I checked the doc that came w the system and you are absolutely correct!

The whole universe makes sense now

Bingo!
    ---

Thread Information