Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: N3700-ITX: unreliable HDMI

Roshi88 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation N3700-ITX: unreliable HDMI

Hi TweakTown!
    My problem is rather straight forward:
    If i power on the mainboard BEFORE the TV/Monitor then i wont get a video signal, but it works just fine if the TV/Monitor was running beforehand.

Same goes for switching source on TV/Monitor, for example if i switch from HDMI1 (N3700) to HDMI2 (old WD media player) and then back again to HDMI1 the signal from N3700 will be gone forever.
    Also the same if i turn off the TV/Monitor and switch it back on later: signal gone untill reboot of N3700.

This happens with latest Debian Testing x64 and with latest Windows 10 x64 and also while in BIOS so it's definitely not OS-specific (won't be fixed with a simple driver update for my OS).

Tested with 2 different TVs from 2 different brands and 3 different PC-monitors from 2 different brands. Happens on all of them. Of course i've also tested numerous HDMI cables (yes, also "high quality high-speed with ethernet" cables). Doesn't change a thing. All TVs/Monitors/cables are working absolutely perfect on different devices.

Additional information: N3700-ITX, running latest bios version (1.20) with default settings. Nothing additional is plugged in, just powercord, HDMI and keyboard.

Interesting is this: with default bios settings (legacy bios) one TV shows "Invalid Signal" while in BIOS. Strangely the OS shows up fine. If i switch to EFI (deactivate CSM and activate Secure Boot) the Bios comes up fine and the "Invalid Signal" warning is gone.

I guess there is a serious flaw / really nasty bug inside ASRock's BIOS-firmware. The HDMI-handling and handshake procedure seems completely screwed.

Hopefully somebody can help me here. I can't just reboot it everytime i want to watch something on my TV.

Default Re: N3700-ITX: unreliable HDMI

What cabling lengths are we talking here?

Otherwise I'd call or email Asrock Tech Support directly with this issue.

And maybe, are you using any XXX>HDMI adapters? Adapters are problematic, at best, and a PITA at worst.

Roshi88 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    What cabling lengths are we talking here?
    Tested with 1-3m cables, some heavy shielded ones, some cheaper ones.

No adapters were involved, maybe a DVI to HDMI or Displayport to HDMI could work?

Wrote to their support 9 days ago, still waiting for an answer.

Let me know how you get on thinking of getting this board.

Happy apart from this?

messerchmidt is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by chris57 View Post
    Let me know how you get on thinking of getting this board.

Happy apart from this?

n3150m working wonderfully well here with hdmi

could be a bad board

Thread Information