Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H97M Pro4 - 6 SATA sockets, 7 SATA devices; which SATA controller?

Default H97M Pro4 - 6 SATA sockets, 7 SATA devices; which SATA controller?

I am giving consideration to getting a smaller board, to go with a smaller (micro-ATX) case; namely, the H97M Pro4, along with a standard (non-OC) i7-4790, since I doubt that I will do any overclocking except maybe with my GPU (GeForce GTX 960).

The problem is, I have 7 SATA devices (5 hard drives and 2 optical devices), and the H97 board has 6 SATA sockets (all SATA 3.0). I'm looking at a 2-port PCI card (supposedly non-RAID, according to the eBay seller), similar to this one...

...to hold one or 2 of my devices; most likely, my Blu-ray burner (which will be drive D) and my DVD burner (drive E), because the maximum SATA speed of this controller (which is 1.5Gb/s or SATA 1.0 speed) is irrelevant when it comes to optical drives.

This device comes with a driver CD, but is such a device plug-and-play-ready when it comes to Win7/8/10 builds? Or should I be prepared to create a floppy (and use my USB floppy drive) to install the drivers when I get ready to install my 64-bit Win7? Again, I intend to use this controller for my optical drives.

Do I go with this controller, or should I consider another one (maybe PCI-e) for my optical drives?

Default Re: H97M Pro4 - 6 SATA sockets, 7 SATA devices; which SATA controller?

PCI-e, definitely.

I've always found cards using Silicon Image controllers to be 100% bulletproof.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I just looked. If you live in the lower 48 States, I'll send you a new PCI(NOT PCI-E) card for only the cost of shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    I just looked. If you live in the lower 48 States, I'll send you a new PCI(NOT PCI-E) card for only the cost of shipping.
    I assume it has 2 SATA sockets, yes? I don't need an eSATA port (unless I can think of a useful eSATA device to connect to it), because those are obsolete compared to USB 3.0/3.1/Thunderbolt.

Do you have the driver CD? Assuming this card is not plug-and-play, I'll need the CD to install the driver before I install Win7.

4 ports actually. PCI, which I myself have no use for.

Silicon Image SiL3114 controller.

Sealed in the clamshell. You'll need a razor knife and bandaids getting it out.

Windows will install the drivers.

Syba SD-SATA-4P

Syba Web

Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

Excellent. I sent you a private message. Hope it went through.

My setup for this build (see the first post) has Win7 on my primary drive, which is a hybrid. My 2nd drive, which I have yet to decide, will either be a data drive or a RAID 1 drive (mirroring my Win7 hybrid). My 3rd and 4th drives will both be data drives. I have a Blu-ray burner and DVD burner. These will obviously use all 6 of my SATA sockets on my H97M Pro4 board.

That leaves my Master Backup drive, which I have decided will go on a PCIe SATA controller card...

...But...

If ever I should decide that I want to use Win10, but I want to keep my Win7, would this PCIe SATA controller work?

The idea is to use a mSATA SSD card for Win10, and still have a SATA 3.0 socket available for my 7th SATA device. Will it work, and will access time be as fast as a standard SSD connected directly to a SATA socket?

Another quick thought: I was under the impression that the OS drive (drive C:) could be RAIDed; but as I am scrounging around the Web, I am learning that you cannot mirror your OS drive using Windows hard drive mirroring (i.e., software RAID); and I assume that you cannot mirror your (intended) OS drive in the UEFI using whatever RAID apps are available from the motherboard's hardware driver DVD (i.e., hardware RAID). Is that correct?

Keep in mind the card you pic'd above appears to use the ASMedia 1061 SATA Controller... Being it's for a backup drive, and assuming correctly the ASM1061, for a backup drive it should be fine.

Also keep in mind, on a PCIe x1 controller, the writes to the drive will be limited to 250MB/s. PCIe's x1 throughput, 500MB/s, represents simultaneous two way communication, 250MB/s read and or 250MB/s write. Of which I'm assuming you'll be writing way way more than reading.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    Another quick thought: I was under the impression that the OS drive (drive C:) could be RAIDed; but as I am scrounging around the Web, I am learning that you cannot mirror your OS drive using Windows hard drive mirroring (i.e., software RAID); and I assume that you cannot mirror your (intended) OS drive in the UEFI using whatever RAID apps are available from the motherboard's hardware driver DVD (i.e., hardware RAID). Is that correct?
    IIRC, yes. Unfortunately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information