Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Usb issues with ASROCK 970m pro3 mb

Grampa Jim is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Usb issues with ASROCK 970m pro3 mb

I have been fighting this mother board for 3 days now, trying to get the usb to recognize my thumbdrives. It sees only one of them (an old 64k noname), and does see my external 2tb usb drive, but nothing else. I have reloaded drivers several times, even reloaded the hard drive with win7 and started over - but the usb does not work right. (ALL USB PORTS DO SEE THE EXTERNAL DRIVE!)

Mobo bios was downloaded with the latest version - no change.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Gramps

wjtmjimd@safecomputerinfo.com

Default Re: Usb issues with ASROCK 970m pro3 mb

Quote Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
    I have been fighting this mother board for 3 days now, trying to get the usb to recognize my thumbdrives. It sees only one of them (an old 64k noname), and does see my external 2tb usb drive, but nothing else. I have reloaded drivers several times, even reloaded the hard drive with win7 and started over - but the usb does not work right. (ALL USB PORTS DO SEE THE EXTERNAL DRIVE!)

Mobo bios was downloaded with the latest version - no change.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Gramps

wjtmjimd@safecomputerinfo.com
    I'm having a similar problem. I have an ASRock 970M Pro3, and it does not recognize the presence of a USB flash drive that I put a bootable partition on with memtest86+. It shows UEFI version P1.00--I've downloaded version 1.30 of what the ASRock web site calls the "BIOS", but I'm not sure how I can install it if it's not recognizing the flash drive, and from what Gramps says it's not clear what good it will do.

Quote Originally Posted by jejones3141 View Post
    I'm having a similar problem. I have an ASRock 970M Pro3, and it does not recognize the presence of a USB flash drive that I put a bootable partition on with memtest86+. It shows UEFI version P1.00--I've downloaded version 1.30 of what the ASRock web site calls the "BIOS", but I'm not sure how I can install it if it's not recognizing the flash drive, and from what Gramps says it's not clear what good it will do.
    You CAN do an online bios update using the 'Asrock Live Update and App Shop' (On the DVD that came with the mobo, or download online) Just click on the "Bios and Drivers" bar on the top of the screen. It works well - but DO NOT INTERRUPT IT WHILE IT WORKS! It took several minutes for mine to update.

What's weird is that I had already returned THREE Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboards because the usb ports on them would not work AT ALL!

I also had tried two MSI 970A-G46 mobo's that also had usb problems. I don't know what chipsets they all had, but I wonder if they were all from the same vendor.

After 7 trips to Micro Center to exchange boards, I was ready to give up, but....

(And, by the way, I recognized one of the boards I returned had been put back on the shelf for sale in the store! Guess they figured the old man didn't know what he was doing. But after over 150 computer builds over the years, then hitting those problems, I WAS beginning to have doubts myself!)
    But Micro Center was very easy to deal with, aside from having to wait to exchange the boards due to the line of people ahead of me with problems. They exchanged the boards with no arguments!

By the way, a usb floppy drive is a handy device to keep around for those re-installs! Glad I have one.

Still fighting some usb issues, but am going to download the chipset drivers from AMD and try installing those and see if it fixes everything.

I just spent the day downloading Win7 SP1 and installing it on this system. It did not make any difference with the usb problems. It simply will not see any other usb stick besides the 64k noname one, and the 2gb external usb drive I use for backup. I've tried a dozen different devices, and get a beep from the speaker, but no data from the thumb drives. Downloaded drivers from AMD and loaded those - same results. This freakin' motherboard simply does not work! Gonna return it, get my money back, and cut my losses.

I have never - EVER - in the 45 years I have been building clones, had one beat me - until now. Hate to admit it. But.......

I really like this case, made in China of course, but have tried all the mobos that will fit it. Not sure what I'm gonna do now. Probably use it for a flower pot! (or target practice!! My 9mil would love that!)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
    You CAN do an online bios update using the 'Asrock Live Update and App Shop' (On the DVD that came with the mobo, or download online) Just click on the "Bios and Drivers" bar on the top of the screen. It works well - but DO NOT INTERRUPT IT WHILE IT WORKS! It took several minutes for mine to update.

What's weird is that I had already returned THREE Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboards because the usb ports on them would not work AT ALL!

I also had tried two MSI 970A-G46 mobo's that also had usb problems. I don't know what chipsets they all had, but I wonder if they were all from the same vendor.

After 7 trips to Micro Center to exchange boards, I was ready to give up, but....

(And, by the way, I recognized one of the boards I returned had been put back on the shelf for sale in the store! Guess they figured the old man didn't know what he was doing. But after over 150 computer builds over the years, then hitting those problems, I WAS beginning to have doubts myself!)
    But Micro Center was very easy to deal with, aside from having to wait to exchange the boards due to the line of people ahead of me with problems. They exchanged the boards with no arguments!

By the way, a usb floppy drive is a handy device to keep around for those re-installs! Glad I have one.

Still fighting some usb issues, but am going to download the chipset drivers from AMD and try installing those and see if it fixes everything.
    Last edited by Grampa Jim; 09-29-2015 at 06:56 AM.

Thread Information