Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement heatsink+fan for Core100HT-BD

Default Re: Replacement heatsink+fan for Core100HT-BD

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    replace it with a Gelid FN-SX05-40 fan. The specs on the Gelid beat out the YS Tech.
    The exception being slightly higher draw at 0.15A vs 0.10A of the YS Tech. Otherwise it outperforms the original all around.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 11-03-2015 at 02:56 PM.

60 isn't that terrible considering the case it's in.

What's ambient there in Oz today?
    Ambient is about 22 in my apartment. 60 is good compared to 80, which is what it was idling at before. I've just done a fresh clean install of Win7 onto a spare hard disk and whacked it into the box, and now it's idling at around 42 which is great! And checking RealTemp, it now seems to idle properly(ie. it goes into C3, C6, etc). So something I've installed/tweaked seems to broken the ability of the cpu to idle properly. Now to find out what that particular thing is....

OK

First, check that the YS Yech fan is in fact spinning. YS Tech fans don't rate that high on my fan list. Lower quarter. Maybe.
    If it's not, or you have any doubts, replace it with a Gelid FN-SX05-40 fan. The specs on the Gelid beat out the YS Tech.
    The exception being slightly higher draw at 0.15A vs 0.10A of the YS Tech. Otherwise it outperforms the original all around.
    Oh both fans are definitely spinning. They're what brought my attention to the unit in the first place, noticing they were making a lot more noise than before. But now it seems that they were spinning faster(and noisier) than normal because they were just trying to cool down the CPU, and not doing a very good job because a) the heatsink was all dust-bunnied up and b) even at "idle", because of some software issue, the cpu was getting way too hot.

Now that I've temporarily fixed the software idle issue(by reinstalling windows), cpu idles at a low enough temp that the fans are back to almost-silent. If I can source the Gelid fan like you guys recommended for a good price, then I'll probably swap out the YS Tech fan anyway, if it does a better job of cooling.

Hmmm,,, Did you ever look in the BIOS at what the reported temp was "inside' the BIOS?

I've never had it happen here, yet too, if it might apply there, having multiple monitoring dll's loaded has been known to produce strange results.

Hmmm,,, Did you ever look in the BIOS at what the reported temp was "inside' the BIOS?

I've never had it happen here, yet too, if it might apply there, having multiple monitoring dll's loaded has been known to produce strange results.
    Yup I did, and the BIOS reported temps matched both coretemp and RealTemp's figures. I never ran both coretemp and realtemp at same time much other than to see if there was any variance between the two(which there wasn't really). Now for testing reasons, I just run Realtemp, as that tells me both temps and also whether or not the cpu is actually idling(in particular C-states).

After doing more work on it last night, I'm 100% sure that its a tweak or something I've done to the system that seems to have hamstrung the CPU's power saving features, as a fresh install works fine. As mentioned, it never goes out of C0 state, so its never really idling nor is it ever clocking down even under no load ie. its always at 2.4GHz, whereas on my other laptop, it only clocks up to high-speed when the load requires it to do so. So somewhere along the line, I've managed to either disabled SpeedStep and/or stopped it from going into C1-C6 power saving states. Problem is finding out where exactly that is now, I've been playing around with the power schemes, but no luck so far. Could be any variety of tweaks/software I've done over the past 4 years and my memory is bad enough I can't remember exactly what I've done to it. I could just re-install Windows completely, but would like to avoid that if possible.

Well, this place IS called TweakTown.

j/k there

Anyways, it sounds like the road ahead is straight again there. Good luck there.

As for resetting any tweaks you might have made there vs a re-install, look at Black Vipers site. He has s***loads of default reg files that can and will repair/fix/straighten out anything you may have done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information