Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! Booting from SM951 AHCI via PCIe Adapter on Z87M Extreme4

K4MR4N is offline Junior Member

Default HELP! Booting from SM951 AHCI via PCIe Adapter on Z87M Extreme4

Hello if anyone from Asrock Support would help me on this would be great!

I want to buy a Samsung SM951 NVMe M.2 SSD you know the crazy fast ones, and I need to know If I get one of those Lycom m.2 to PCIe lane adapter boards and put them two together and plug the board with SSD mounted into my PCIe lane on Motherboard, Will I be able to boot from the SSD using the PCIe interface and changing some settings in the BIOS?? (currently running 1.60 version)

NVMe is what I would have rather than AHCI due to higher speeds and if there is a BIOS update from asrock then both should work for booting

I am just hoping the good folks at Asrock can PLEASE get an update to the BIOS of this board to support what I want to do if not already done. PLEASE!?
    Last edited by K4MR4N; 11-17-2015 at 08:24 PM. Reason: changing AHCI to NVMe , I i ordered that instead

Default Re: HELP! Booting from SM951 AHCI via PCIe Adapter on Z87M Extreme4

UPDATE!!!!

Asrock Support just sent me an email after I contacted them directly on their main site. There is a special BIOS for this board which version L2.10A -probably made for release of the PCIe SSD's and adds boot capability. i just need to know how to install a BIOS from the zip file they sent me :p first time updating a UEFI bios , i don't want to brick mobo!

PM NOT Sent

Hmm. you don't like PM's huh?
    Last edited by - wardog -; 11-12-2015 at 08:22 PM.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

oops, try now

Quote Originally Posted by K4MR4N View Post
    oops, try now
    PM'd
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

For anyone else looking. It's very easy. You extract the ZIP, you place it on a formatted FAT32 flash drive, you boot into UEFI and go to tools tab and look for instant flash.

There are instructions on the download page of everyone's motherboard page, where you download a UEFI file, even has pictures.

ASRock - BIOS Upgrade Instruction

Quote Originally Posted by odiebugs View Post
    For anyone else looking. It's very easy. You extract the ZIP, you place it on a formatted FAT32 flash drive, you boot into UEFI and go to tools tab and look for instant flash.

There are instructions on the download page of everyone's motherboard page, where you download a UEFI file, even has pictures.

ASRock - BIOS Upgrade Instruction
    And this is assuming it's the Instant Flash method, right? Not Windows or DOS based?

Yea, it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    And this is assuming it's the Instant Flash method, right? Not Windows or DOS based?

Yea, it matters.
    It matters, oh my and here I've only been modding UEFI/BIOS for years and didn't know. LOL My bad I forgot, but usually ASrock sends out instant flash, as they consider it the best method, and they have never sent me a DOS or Windows zip so I wasn't thinking.

No harm, as the instant flash method I posted won't flash a DOS or windows file anyway if someone did try.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 11-13-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Ok so they sent me a .10A file Iv never worked with before and it was in a zipped folder and the only file there.

Does this mean it's a DOS or Windows BIOS update

What is the full file name

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information