Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DC vs ATX PSU

Default DC vs ATX PSU

Hi,

Until now I've used an internal pico-ATX 12v PSU in my ASRock Rack j1900d2y motherboard. This has a fan though, and I wanted a silent power supply. So I inserted a 19v DC external PSU of the stated specs for this board, however it now fails to power on using either.

The mb manual states "Only use ONE power input at a time. Using more than one input at the same time will create a short circuit!". I detached the power from the back of the ATX PSU before attaching the DC-in, but my question: are you also supposed to detach the two ATX power connectors from the motherboard (24 pin & 4 pin)?

If not then I don't know where I went wrong, perhaps either a bad mb or DC-in.

Many thanks

mikesmithfl is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Re: DC vs ATX PSU

From the warning, I'd take it to mean yes. Don't like to be bearer of bad news, but from the manual I found at ASRock, there was another statement preceding your quote.
    "This motherboard provides three power inputs: 4-pin ATX 12V power connector
    (DCPWR1), 20-pin ATX power connector (ATXPWR1), and DC power jack (DC_Jack)
    connector on the rear I/O panel."

Quote Originally Posted by stonecircle View Post
    Hi,

Until now I've used an internal pico-ATX 12v PSU in my ASRock Rack j1900d2y motherboard. This has a fan though, and I wanted a silent power supply. So I inserted a 19v DC external PSU of the stated specs for this board, however it now fails to power on using either.

The mb manual states "Only use ONE power input at a time. Using more than one input at the same time will create a short circuit!". I detached the power from the back of the ATX PSU before attaching the DC-in, but my question: are you also supposed to detach the two ATX power connectors from the motherboard (24 pin & 4 pin)?

If not then I don't know where I went wrong, perhaps either a bad mb or DC-in.

Many thanks

Thread Information