Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z97 Extreme6 and RAID1 on 3TB disks UEFI issue

Default Re: Z97 Extreme6 and RAID1 on 3TB disks UEFI issue

Do you see the screen ( where do you want to install windows ) this is where you would install a driver if 7 is old and didn't have one.

You just can't place drivers on a flash drive, they need to be installed if they are needed, just a FYI.

There is the load driver, this is where you load a driver that is missing from a windows OS install.

This is just a FYI.

It's a mistake to install windows on a HDD or even on a RAID set of HDD. You are better off installing windows onto a SSD or a RAID set of SDD's then ever putting them on a HDD or RAID.

Actually, windows is faster on a single SSD then it is on a RAID set SSD.

Not sure why you want the OS on a RAID set HDD, but just letting you know the facts. It's better to use the RAID as storage and have one SSD as the OS drive.

Quote Originally Posted by odiebugs View Post
    Do you see the screen ( where do you want to install windows ) this is where you would install a driver if 7 is old and didn't have one.

You just can't place drivers on a flash drive, they need to be installed if they are needed, just a FYI.

There is the load driver, this is where you load a driver that is missing from a windows OS install.
    Read few posts above - RAID driver is loaded manually not only placed on USB. Other way I will not see any disk on the list (step #7 or #8).

Quote Originally Posted by odiebugs View Post
    This is just a FYI.

It's a mistake to install windows on a HDD or even on a RAID set of HDD. You are better off installing windows onto a SSD or a RAID set of SDD's then ever putting them on a HDD or RAID.

Actually, windows is faster on a single SSD then it is on a RAID set SSD.

Not sure why you want the OS on a RAID set HDD, but just letting you know the facts. It's better to use the RAID as storage and have one SSD as the OS drive.
    Dude, you are not reading my posts.... I want to install Windows on SSD which is set as non-RAID. RAID volume is for data stuff only. I gave only an example that I'm not able to install on SSD or even RAID when Win7 is throwing that message when using UEFI CSM

Endlesspath is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackTheKnife View Post
    Dude, you are not reading my posts.... I want to install Windows on SSD which is set as non-RAID. RAID volume is for data stuff only. I gave only an example that I'm not able to install on SSD or even RAID when Win7 is throwing that message when using UEFI CSM
    Myself I have win10 pro 64 installed on the Extreme6 with 2.50 bios (see my config). The OS is installed on a Samsung NVMe 950 Pro M.2, with a 2 drive RAID 1 array, along with 2 single additional drives. For me, besides having the UEFI bootable USB key with the Win10 install on it, I also had Samsung NVMe driver along with the Intel IRST (RAID) driver on the key. My install was uneventful, I only had the M.2 attached at first (though bios/UEFI was setup ahead for UEFI install only on CSM and RAID . Upon reboot, I made sure the UEFI USB key was showing as #1 on boot order, then went ahead started the OS install from the key -REALIZE THAT I COULD ONLY SEE THE UEFI USB Key in the bios, I COULD NOT SEE THE M.2 iIN THE BIOS/UEFI!. I had to first install (on the OS drive screen) the Samsung NVMe driver to get the M.2 to show, thereafter I did the usual OS install from that point once the M.2 showed. Upon completion of OS install, I then turned off system, attached the 2 raid drives, and restarted PC reentering bios/UEFI - AGAIN REALIZE THAT IN THE BIOS/UEFI BOOT ORDER I DID NOT HAVE THE DRIVE ITSELF SHOWING, I HAD THE PHRASE "Windows Boot Manager" SHOWING! (FYI - Samsung 950 Pro does not show in 2.50 bios, it will not be viewable till a future bios update per ASROCKAMERICA). I then setup the raid array as you mentioned, and restarted the system. Once I entered the OS, I then went ahead into Disk management and setup the two drives to be useable by the OS. Finally installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers and Software set, and completed the setup of the RAID array by means of the IRST set. Basically I have running what you are trying to accomplish.
    One other FYI on RAID using IRST - I had to disable fast boot, both in the os and in bios/uefi as the IRST set would strangely show a working/functional RAID array as "INCOMPATIBLE". Only with fast boot disabled would RAID show normal function.
    Last edited by Endlesspath; 01-19-2016 at 05:24 AM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Endlesspath View Post
    Upon reboot, I made sure the UEFI USB key was showing as #1 on boot order, then went ahead started the OS install from the key -REALIZE THAT I COULD ONLY SEE THE UEFI USB Key in the bios, I COULD NOT SEE THE M.2 iIN THE BIOS/UEFI!. I had to first install (on the OS drive screen) the Samsung NVMe driver to get the M.2 to show, thereafter I did the usual OS install from that point once the M.2 showed. Upon completion of OS install, I then turned off system, attached the 2 raid drives, and restarted PC reentering bios/UEFI - AGAIN REALIZE THAT IN THE BIOS/UEFI BOOT ORDER I DID NOT HAVE THE DRIVE ITSELF SHOWING, I HAD THE PHRASE "Windows Boot Manager" SHOWING! (FYI - Samsung 950 Pro does not show in 2.50 bios, it will not be viewable till a future bios update per ASROCKAMERICA).
    How did you change order in that menu to have as #1 device to boot/install Windows 7?

Thumbs up Re: Z97 Extreme6 and RAID1 on 3TB disks UEFI issue

After few days of waiting finally I have got a response from AsRock tech support:

Due to limitation of Windows 7 MBR, its limited to 2 TB (refers to Microsoft).
    UEFI mode installation could works with 2 TB or larger . (Windows 8.1 /10 comes with UEFI mode).
    To set up RAID, please try below.
    Delete the RAID in the BIOS (if applied).
    Load the BIOS setting default (press F9 in BIOS), save and exit.
    Restart the system, Enter BIOS again to set SATA mode to RAID, save and exit.
    Press Ctrl + I when Intel RAID ROM prompted.
    Enter RIAD ROM to configure the RAID 1.
    Save and exit.
    Begin installing the Windows 7
    Note: Windows 7 only can create 2TB due to MBR limitation as mentioned above.
    It looks like solution in my case is to go for Intel BIOS RAID setup instead of UEFI (despite manual), as RAID is for a data only, and left CSM as a legacy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information