Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock FM2A88X+ Killer MB Bios & DDR3 2133

Default ASRock FM2A88X+ Killer MB Bios & DDR3 2133

The situation / problem I have - and need help and/or suggestions on fixes:
    I am rebuilding my desktop and have chosen the ASRock FM2A88X+ Killer MB, w/ AMD A10-7870X CPU. My memory choice is Corsair Vengance 2x8GB DDR3 2133 Memory. I have gotten my system up and running but the BIOS will only detect a single stick in A2 slot. The other slot used is B2 but the memory will not detect in B2. I can swap sticks from A2 to B2 and vice versa and the memory will only detect in A2. So, both sticks seem to operate, but only in A2 slot. And since that is the case, it only operates in Single Channel. I've tried using in A1 and B1 but I think since it is 2133 memory, neither will detect and my system will not boot.

So, my questions are for fixes:
    1. Have I chosen the wrong memory provider?
    2. Have I chosen the wrong memory speed for this MB? (the specs say 2133 should work in A2+B2)
    3. Have I made a BIOS setup error somehow?
    4. Do I need to drop down to DDR3 1600?
    5. Should I be using A1 + B1 locations?

I want dual channel memory and 16GB in my system, should I continue with 2x8GB or go to 4x4GB sticks?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joe-912 is offline Member

Default Re: ASRock FM2A88X+ Killer MB Bios & DDR3 2133

Quote Originally Posted by WallyBear View Post
    The situation / problem I have - and need help and/or suggestions on fixes:
    I am rebuilding my desktop and have chosen the ASRock FM2A88X+ Killer MB, w/ AMD A10-7870X CPU. My memory choice is Corsair Vengance 2x8GB DDR3 2133 Memory. I have gotten my system up and running but the BIOS will only detect a single stick in A2 slot. The other slot used is B2 but the memory will not detect in B2. I can swap sticks from A2 to B2 and vice versa and the memory will only detect in A2. So, both sticks seem to operate, but only in A2 slot. And since that is the case, it only operates in Single Channel. I've tried using in A1 and B1 but I think since it is 2133 memory, neither will detect and my system will not boot.

So, my questions are for fixes:
    1. Have I chosen the wrong memory provider?
    2. Have I chosen the wrong memory speed for this MB? (the specs say 2133 should work in A2+B2)
    3. Have I made a BIOS setup error somehow?
    4. Do I need to drop down to DDR3 1600?
    5. Should I be using A1 + B1 locations?

I want dual channel memory and 16GB in my system, should I continue with 2x8GB or go to 4x4GB sticks?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi there, first it's always good to go with memory thats on your MB memory support list here: ASRock > Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer
    And yes A1 B1 to be used for dual channel as per MB Manual here: ftp://europe.asrock.com/Manual/Fatal...+%20Killer.pdf
    Have you tried just one dimm in B1 just to check that slots working?
    You need to find your memory part number, but theres not a lot of 2133 on your list I see, and yes you could try backing the memory speed off to say 1600
    Go to bios and load defaults
    good luck!
    Joe
    Asus Maximus 7 Hero > Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow > Intel 4790K > Noctua NH-D15 > 16GB G-skill Sniper 2133 > Samsung SM951 256GB > Sandisk X400 512GB > Western digital black Sata 6 500GB > Western digital black 640GB > Windows 10 Pro 64 > Asus 27" MX279H Monitor > Gibabyte GTX 980Ti extreme

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-912 View Post
    Hi there, first it's always good to go with memory thats on your MB memory support list here: ASRock > Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer
    And yes A1 B1 to be used for dual channel as per MB Manual here: ftp://europe.asrock.com/Manual/Fatal...+%20Killer.pdf
    Have you tried just one dimm in B1 just to check that slots working?
    You need to find your memory part number, but theres not a lot of 2133 on your list I see, and yes you could try backing the memory speed off to say 1600
    Go to bios and load defaults
    good luck!
    Joe
    Thanks Joe - but I tried the memory in all 4 slots, individually and in pairs (and I had already tried your A1 - B1 suggestion). The Notes in the Setup Manual say if only 2 stick are being used, to put them in A2 - B2, especially if they are greater than DDR3-1600 speed (which mine are). I have the ASRock Memory list for my MB and will try to get replacements from that list. I am also going to drop back to DDR3-1600 since a lot of Reviews of this MB have mentioned issues with faster memory speeds (I saw them for the MB I wanted, but when I tried to buy it was out of stock, so I chose the ASRock one in its place so didn't do my due diligence as I should). However, I am satisfied so far with this MB construction and quality and ease of BIOS Flash, etc. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wally : before you try buying new sticks, send ASrock tech a email with the exact model of the memory and see if they can test it, if so they will send you a modded UEFI, if not they will let you know to get memory off the QVL.

Joe-912 is offline Member

Yes you right about the A2 B2 slots sorry I missed that, and good suggestion from oliebugs!
    also go to corsairs website and check compatible motherboards for your mem part number....
    Asus Maximus 7 Hero > Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow > Intel 4790K > Noctua NH-D15 > 16GB G-skill Sniper 2133 > Samsung SM951 256GB > Sandisk X400 512GB > Western digital black Sata 6 500GB > Western digital black 640GB > Windows 10 Pro 64 > Asus 27" MX279H Monitor > Gibabyte GTX 980Ti extreme

Thread Information