Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock X99 Extreme6 BCLK and Memory Issues

Hlafordlaes is offline Junior Member

Question ASRock X99 Extreme6 BCLK and Memory Issues

Greetings.

Problem: Any BCLK setting above 105.5 locks the board. This disallows use of memory above the maximum Haswell-E 2166MHz ratings by raising the BCLK to 125. Using all default BIOS settings and then only loading either of my memory's two XMP profiles will raise the BLCK and lock up, requiring a return to the BIOS to restore BCLK to 100. (I am on my second X99 Extreme6 board, the first stopped recognizing all memory slots after a couple of months. But both boards have shown this same problem.)

System Specs:
    Mobo: X99 Extreme6, Official ASRock BIOS 2.10 (Win10_x64)
    CPU: i7-5930K
    Mem: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (HX430C15PB2K4/16)
    Specs: PCPartsPicker (no affiliation)

Description:
    - As stated, simply loading any XMP profile (2666 or 3000MHz) will lock the board.
    - Increasing voltages for memory or CPU does nothing to lift the barrier of 105.5 BLCK.

I realize overclocking may or may not work on every system. However, this limitation to a max BCLK of 105.5 seems to break the manufacturer's website promise of the board as able to handle this sort of overclocking, if only to allow for faster memory, let alone increasing CPU speed.

Ideally, there is some remaining issue with my memory type that could be solved by a BIOS fix, meaning the BCLK limitation on both samples of the board has been consistently related to a memory compatibility issue, which would make some sense. (I do not know if this could be a faulty or poor CPU sample.) What I would hate to discover is that I have yet another problem or flaky board, but that could indeed be the case.

Some TLC from ASRock Support would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Default Re: ASRock X99 Extreme6 BCLK and Memory Issues

older non 3.1 usb version of x99 had problems with overclocking and high ram speeds, after 2100 ddr4

you can google this.

the revised boards with 3.1 usb and did soem hardware bios changes.

on ne3wer board depending on setting it can super quick restart bios double reboot to r4eset fsb of ram 3200 etc... 9first ti me iv seen this, it there way of

boot up 3with certain setting, then rebooting very micro quick to reset other settings fsb for ram etc.

Hlafordlaes is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASRock X99 Extreme6 BCLK and Memory Issues

Update:

Of course selecting a higher BCLK overclocks the CPU, something I was not controlling for, but for a reason. In December 2014, I did several successful video benchmark runs (Futuremark) using the BIOS OC to 4GHz setting. It worked, so I had the impression in the back of my mind that my CPU could handle the higher clock. I have since repeated my testing:

-BLCK: can go to 125 easily if the CPU multiplier is lowered to keep it at or under rated speed, so the board is capable of much more than my complaint of 105.5 BCLK max.
    -Memory speed can be set to 2666MHz, but even with the CPU dialed under rated performance, 3000MHz is impossible now (sticks are rated for that and have reached it before).
    -The old test run with 4GHz OC, given the ASRock BIOS issue dates, was under BIOS 1.50 (or earlier).

Conclusion:
    In spite of the noobie error of testing without dialing back the CPU, it is clear that BIOS 2.10 does not allow me to adjust settings in a way that overclocks the CPU.

PD Thanks for the post above; will check out the differences in the ASRock board versions wrt memory speeds and so on.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Thread Information