Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C2750D4I - Purchased from NewEgg purchase a few months ago and unboxed recently and keeps locking up/crashing

Default Re: C2750D4I - Purchased from NewEgg purchase a few months ago and unboxed recently and keeps locking up/crashing

Quote Originally Posted by arcjn97 View Post
    Another thing to add:

What I notice is that I can still navigate through the BMC even though the PC itself is hung. I guess that runs independently of anything else on this board since one can still logged in on it even if the PC is powered off (plugged in but not switched on).
    Correct, that's (part of) the purpose of the BMC/IPMI :)

I have a NAS server using this board that been running 24x7 since November 2014, so your troubles are a surprise to me. But it's good to hear that William is able to help you out. When I had problems with the Marvell SATA controller, William was very helpfull to me in getting the problems sorted out (seems like the SE9230 is sensitive to cable quality).

I didn't see you mentioning the specific type of memory stick you're using. Are they on AsRockRack's Memory QVL list?

arcjn97 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: C2750D4I - Purchased from NewEgg purchase a few months ago and unboxed recently and keeps locking up/crashing

Quote Originally Posted by Retteren View Post
    Correct, that's (part of) the purpose of the BMC/IPMI :)
    Sorry... I am new to BMC/IPMI. Thanks for confirming that this is normal behaviour.
    seems like the SE9230 is sensitive to cable quality
    Yes. I also saw this thread and gave me the idea of having shielded cabling. I tried a shielded cable with only the 1 boot ssd connected and sadly, this only managed to stay up for an hour at the very most. It then hangs up.
    I didn't see you mentioning the specific type of memory stick you're using. Are they on AsRockRack's Memory QVL list?
    I have a 4gb (KVR16N11H/4) and an 8gb Kingston HyperX fury. For each test that I have done, I have repeated them having only 1 of them on. It only stays 15 to 30 mins on the 4gb (less if there's load). It can go from 1 hour to 3 hours on the 8gb. I eventually gave up testing with any other storage connected on it as I want to narrow down the culprit (for my own reference). If this was a memory issue - from experience, it won't even go past the POST and boot. The memory modules have no issues on them as I have checked them extensively before I purchased this board (now again after sending the board back). So I know they are okay. Both PSU that I have tested this board on are also okay. TheVX400-V3X PSU is now running a different build altogether. That build use to run on the Corsair HX1000W that I have done most of the testing on.

BTW, I can see that the board arrived in Taiwan yesterday (for RMA as per the instructions on the correspondences from AsRock - THANKS GUYS!).

Just want to add...

Realistically speaking, the board should work with all 12 SATA ports populated with storage devices (SSD/HDD). I don't even care it it works with 4GB (the one in the Memory QVL) but it turns out that the 8GB on runs longer. I will only use this board as a file server - nothing more. So I am fine with 4GB. When it works, the transfer speed on the gbit interfaces work wonderfully.

Yes. I also saw this thread and gave me the idea of having shielded cabling. I tried a shielded cable with only the 1 boot ssd connected and sadly, this only managed to stay up for an hour at the very most. It then hangs up.
    I'm not sure if shielded cables are necessary - my impression is that the problem more about internal cable issues (near/far crosstalk, signal damping and jitter) than external influences (noise).
    Frankly, I wouldn't be looking at your SATA cables and drives just yet. Your problems seem much more like motherboard or RAM issues than SATA/drive issues.

I have a 4gb (KVR16N11H/4) and an 8gb Kingston HyperX fury. For each test that I have done, I have repeated them having only 1 of them on. It only stays 15 to 30 mins on the 4gb (less if there's load). It can go from 1 hour to 3 hours on the 8gb. I eventually gave up testing with any other storage connected on it as I want to narrow down the culprit (for my own reference). If this was a memory issue - from experience, it won't even go past the POST and boot.
    Good, the KVR16N11H/4 is on AsRockRack's QVL list. My experience is the same as yours (wrong memory = board won't boot/POST), but I just wanted to be sure that you weren't seeing memory related issues.
    FWIW, I use ECC RAM which isn't on the list (KVR16LE11/8), but William confirmed to me by email that they are OK. With 4 x 8GB installed, I see about one Correctable ECC error every two months (again, it's running 24x7).

I'm not sure if shielded cables are necessary...
    Thought about the same. Jitter and crosstalk introduced by the connections on the circuit board should be checked and mitigated by the controller chip though (pretty much the same on what happens within the CPU die regardless what datapath is being used to execute instructions... etc.

it's running 24x7.
    See... terms like this just give me hope on mine. Thank you. :)
    I'll even settle for something over than 1 week up time. I can do a task scheduler or a cron job to reboot it weekly.

I got about 20+ PC builds with the same brand mobo so far (I know I know... fam/friend tech support sux... doing it for them keeps me entertained at the same time). Probably 2x as much previous builds before AsRock came along. Been really lucky as this is my first RMA.

See... terms like this just give me hope on mine. Thank you. :)
    At your service :)
    Build details/talks are here: https://www.reddit.com/r/zfs/comment...s_build_20tib/

I know I know... fam/friend tech support sux... doing it for them keeps me entertained at the same time.
    Ah, the joys of involuntary and unpaid IT tech support to the extended family. I can live with the Windows 7 and Linux stuff, but Win8 and Macs just baffle me.

Just received my board back from RMA yesterday. Got it all setup last night with mixed RAM sticks (1x 4GB and 1x 8GB). 8 storage devices connected on it too:1x SSD on the first Intel port with the rest being HDD of varying sizes. So far it's been running fine for over 2 hours and 30 mins - no load yet and mostly idle. Fingers crossed hoping that it will keep going until I finish work so I can do some real tests.

I am already thankful to the AsRock guys given that this board never got this far with everything connected on it.

Some stats:
    From power button press to monitor wakeup: 53.01s
    BIOS finished to Ubuntu boot up: 7.3s
    Ubuntu desktop finished loading: 15.36s
    Time on clock when desktop loaded: 0903
    Time now (still running): 1140

Will get 11x 8TB HDD for this once I can confirm that this is solid.
    Last edited by arcjn97; 04-05-2016 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Additional Information

First crash... looks like a samba related lock up by the looks of the logs. Time now is 16:44. This is definitely something different now. I'll do a clean OS re-install tonight and try a stress test all day tomorrow.

Great to hear that the new board has resolved the big issues. As for the crash, you might want to take a look at the ipmi logs as well, to see what happened.

Clean OS re-install and stress testing sounds like a good plan.
    I'd suggest to run "badblocks -w -c <large number>" on all the HDD's in parallel to stress-test the SATA subsystem (controller + cables) and burning in the HDDs.

Beware that running badblocks with the default 4 patterns (0xaa, 0x55, 0xff, 0x00) will literally take days. WD Red's can push about 170MB/sec sustained, and with your 8TB disks, you're looking at ~105 hours for a single pass through the 4 patterns. In the end, I opted for only doing one pattern.

Well... stress testing with Prime95 as detailed here: How to test your PC for the Skylake bug | PCWorld hangs it up within the 30 minute mark all the time.

So far running badblocks with one pattern runs it for an hour. I have observed the same when running chkdsk <drive_letter> /f /v /r /b in Windows. The symptom is different compared to the CPU testing though. CPU stress test hangs it up. The tests on the disks or leaving it idle (left it idle last night) gives is the random power off. The longest uptime that I have observed so far is over 8 hours - which I am sort of content with but still in the state of searching for a config that will make this even more stable. I am trialing out the disable on the C-states and putting a cap on max CPU utilization to 80%. If I can get a solid uptime on these settings... I am a happy camper.

Wish me luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information