Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: C2550D4I sensors/fan control broken?

Default C2550D4I sensors/fan control broken?

I decided to upgrade the 3-pin fans in my C2550D4I FreeNAS server with some Noctua 4-pin PWM fans. I replaced all three fans, booted the box, and all three fans were spinning at 600 RPM. I assumed that the box was being smart (all fans are set to Smart Fan) but soon started getting emails about my system temps hitting critical levels.

I realized I was not running the newest BMC/BIOS, so I upgraded both. Now, the fans are stuck running at 2000 RPM, and never slow down, even with the CPU reporting temperatures of ~40C.

I've also noticed that in the BIOS the sensors have generaic names (e.g.: H/W Sensor1) all report N/A. Is there something wrong with my board? Is there a setting I missed? Is temperature reporting broken on this model?

BIOS:
    C2550D4I sensors/fan control broken?-bios-jpg
    Last edited by spamminator; 10-03-2016 at 02:12 PM.

jchanme is offline Junior Member

Default Re: C2550D4I sensors/fan control broken?

Quote Originally Posted by spamminator View Post
    I decided to upgrade the 3-pin fans in my C2550D4I FreeNAS server with some Noctua 4-pin PWM fans. I replaced all three fans, booted the box, and all three fans were spinning at 600 RPM. I assumed that the box was being smart (all fans are set to Smart Fan) but soon started getting emails about my system temps hitting critical levels.

I realized I was not running the newest BMC/BIOS, so I upgraded both. Now, the fans are stuck running at 2000 RPM, and never slow down, even with the CPU reporting temperatures of ~40C.

I've also noticed that in the BIOS the sensors have generaic names (e.g.: H/W Sensor1) all report N/A. Is there something wrong with my board? Is there a setting I missed? Is temperature reporting broken on this model?

BIOS:
    C2550D4I sensors/fan control broken?-bios-jpg

I have the exactly the same problem, the status shoes N/A for all temperature sensors. Has anyone figured it out?

Default Re: C2550D4I sensors/fan control broken?

I have found that the very latest BMC keeps the fans at a (too) high speed. I downgraded to 00.23.00 and the problem went away.
    Last edited by Retteren; 06-05-2017 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Changed 00.27.00 to 00.23.00.

Thread Information