Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASMedia ASM1061 SATA controller -- Bizarre behavior

mark7sys is offline Junior Member

Default ASMedia ASM1061 SATA controller -- Bizarre behavior

I have discovered of all the inscrutable things that when my Blu-ray / DVD drive is plugged into the ASMedia ASM1061 SATA controller on my Z97 Extreme6 I am unable to boot Linux-based distros or utilities from either USB or DVD. But when the optical drive is connected to the Intel SATA controller, I can boot Linux-based distros and utilities from either USB or DVD.

This took me 7 weeks to figure out considering that Windows 10 installers and rescue disks boot normally on both USB & DVD when the optical drive is connected to the ASMedia controller.

Several months ago I thought I had a hard drive failing because no utility I tried would report its S.M.A.R.T. status or run drive self checks. At length I learned that if I switched the HDD from the ASM1061 controller to the Intel controller S.M.A.R.T. status was reported and drive self checks could be run.

In my experience, there is something drastically wrong with the ASM1061 or its drivers. Is it possible that ASRock has never heard of such issues? Do similar problems plague newer motherboards? Is any solution available?

Default Re: ASMedia ASM1061 SATA controller -- Bizarre behavior

These ASMedia SATA ports are for data hard drivers only. ATAPI devices are not supported. Luckily Linux can suppress ATAPI commands via the following workarounds.

Workaround A
    kernel boot parameter: libata.atapi_passthru16=0
    permanently via /etc/default/grub -> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="libata.atapi_passthru16=0" -> update-grub

Workaround B
    Edit /lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules, find the line containing the word "ATAPI" and comment out the next line. -> update-initramfs -u

related links:

Thread Information