Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low disc space c!!!!!!!!

Default Low disc space c!!!!!!!!

This is starting to drive me nuts!. The low disc space c message is poping up every 2 minutes, I have tried all optons to remoce disc space, to no Avail. I have an Asus tower (pc) using Windows xp.Is there any solution to this, other than a Hammer??Thanks

Jon Skilling is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Low disc space c!!!!!!!!

You're a bit sparse with your information here :-) Try this:

Click start
    Click My computer
    Right click on the C drive and click properties
    You will see a pie chart of your disk usage. What is the total space you have and what space is free?
    Exit from that and double click on the C drive
    Click Search and you get a new window with some options on the left - I have an option to use Search companion. Do you?
    What you need to do is search the drive specifying a file size which is ideally at least 100,000Kb. This will display a list of all big files on this drive. Maybe you can find some video or other big files which you can get rid of.
    Let me know where you get to

Jon
    ASRock Z87 Extreme6 | Core i5 4670K Cooled by Corsair H50 | 4x4 GB DDR3 1600 GSkill | Gigabyte GTX560 Ti 1GB DDR5 | Intel 240GB 335 SSD, 3 x 2TB & 1 x 3TB HDD, 2 x 24" LG Monitors | Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W | Yamaha Amp/Receiver | Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

Jon, tried what you suggested, removed some files, all seemed fine, but 5 minutes later th error message appeared again? Do you think this could be a virus?

I can't tell without you giving me more information.
    How big is the disk?
    How much free space does it say there is?
    What anti-virus are you running?

It could be a virus, but it could also be some application filling up a log file.

Try starting the PC in safe mode whilst you get all the info about disk sizes etc. Also, right click on the main folders (windows, users, program files) on the C: drive and click properties on each. Make a note of the sizes of these folders so that when it starts up with the message again you can see if any of these are bigger than you noted.

Either your disk is quite small anyway and bouncing off capacity or something is writing a lot of stuff to the disk and we need to find out what that is.

Jon
    ASRock Z87 Extreme6 | Core i5 4670K Cooled by Corsair H50 | 4x4 GB DDR3 1600 GSkill | Gigabyte GTX560 Ti 1GB DDR5 | Intel 240GB 335 SSD, 3 x 2TB & 1 x 3TB HDD, 2 x 24" LG Monitors | Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W | Yamaha Amp/Receiver | Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

Jon, the c disc is 75 gb, free space is 872 kb. d disc is 500 gb. I am using Kaspersky anti-virus. I have done a full scan and it says no threats detected.

Your C drive is quite small so here are a few things that can free up some space:

1. Turn off or reduce the size of system restore by start | right click my computer | properties | select the system restore tab and change the settings to free more space
    2. Reduce the size of the page file (is your C drive an SSD? - If so you could get rid of the page file, but I think 1Gb is better min size). Select advanced tab from same window as (1) | advanced tab again | change virtual memory | custom size
    3. Turn off hibernation. Start | Control Panel | Power Options | Hibernate tab | untick the box

Depending on what you're already using and how much RAM you have, system restore is worth a few gigabytes, page file the same, and hibernation is worth the same gigs as you've got RAM.

I can see that by having 2 drives, C is supposed to be your system drive and D your data drive. Therefore, go to my computer | C: drive | right click Documents and Settings :- If this folder is big you should consider moving it to the D: drive. Let me know if you want to do this because there are a few steps involved since it's a system created folder it can't just be moved.

On my XP system, the three main folders that contain stuff are Windows (~8Gb) Program Files (~40Gb) Documents and Settings (~9Gb). Windows folder shouldn't change much. If you've got games installed, you can reduce the size of Program Files by reinstalling them onto the D: drive. Normal apps don't usually take up that much space. Documents and Settings is probably where you've got too much stuff.

If you want to check that there are no big hidden files left after you've disabled hibernation etc. you can click Tools menu | Folder options | View tab and click "show hidden files" and uncheck show system files. Then go to C drive and you will see your page file etc. Uncheck these options after you've verified that the files there are correct. Don't attempt to delete anything you don't like the look of here!

This should buy you some breathing space to work out what the is taking up all the space. Let me know how you get on :-)

Jon

Tried it all JON. Nothing is correcting this? So frustrating

So which folders are consuming the most space? How big are windows, program files, and documents folders?

The only large file is Open Office ?

No offense to the poster but this is why I gave up on doing help desk/tech support a long time ago, especially on the 'Net. While I understand that there are many people out there that aren't really computer literate and want it to 'just work' with the least amount of effort, when problems come up, this is what happens. This is akin to doing tech over the phone. You can't see the machine or anything going on and can only rely on what the user is saying and, of course, they don't really know much of what you want. Even when you go into detail about what to do to get the info you need to diagnose and possible fix the problem, you get back short, uninformative answers that don't help much in any way. Obviously, if you were right there in front of the machine, a rather simple problem such as this would be taken care of quickly. But now it gets drawn out unnecessarily and that's where I lose my patience. Good luck to you, Jon! You're much braver than I when it comes to these kind of situations...

-Lumarra
    "Now we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell, because that is exactly where we're going! We talked about peace. You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation. You didn't want cooperation. You want war! Is that it? You want a war?! Well you've got a war!" - John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams, Torn Asunder', Babylon5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information