Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Secure boot and boot key questions

alternety is offline Member

Default Secure boot and boot key questions

Ihave found nothing in the manual for either of these functions.

What key will get you to the BIOS boot selection table at startup?

There is no discussion I can find on secure boot. I do not want it to be enabled. The settings screen is a bit confusing. There is no selection that simply says turn off secure boot. There is only a selection for UEFI Windows boot or Other OS. The description implies that if other OS is detected secure boot is off. That makes sense since many of the "Other OS" don't use the feature. My question - will a UEFI boot disk function corectly with the 'Other OS' selection.

If UEFI boot will not wokr as in the question above, do I need to delete all of the keys in the next selection area? Will that let me select UEFI Windows boot without invoking secure boot?

If I delete them, can they be restored if I need them later (can't actually imagine why). There is a restore, but will that find proper keys after things like BIOS upgrades.

What is the best solution for turning off secure boot and having the best performance?
    Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
    i7 3770
    2 X 8GB F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL DDR3 1600 1.5V GSkill Ripjaws
    Integrated graphics
    Seasonic Platinum 760W
    be quite! Dark Rock Pro 2
    Fractal Define XL R2 case
    Win 8.1 64 Pro

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Secure boot and boot key questions

Quote Originally Posted by alternety View Post
    Ihave found nothing in the manual for either of these functions.

What key will get you to the BIOS boot selection table at startup?
    Near the bottom of page 3-36 of the manual: To select the boot device during system startup, press <F8> when ASUS Logo appears.

Quote Originally Posted by alternety View Post
    There is no discussion I can find on secure boot. I do not want it to be enabled. The settings screen is a bit confusing. There is no selection that simply says turn off secure boot. There is only a selection for UEFI Windows boot or Other OS. The description implies that if other OS is detected secure boot is off. That makes sense since many of the "Other OS" don't use the feature. My question - will a UEFI boot disk function corectly with the 'Other OS' selection.

If UEFI boot will not wokr as in the question above, do I need to delete all of the keys in the next selection area? Will that let me select UEFI Windows boot without invoking secure boot?

If I delete them, can they be restored if I need them later (can't actually imagine why). There is a restore, but will that find proper keys after things like BIOS upgrades.

What is the best solution for turning off secure boot and having the best performance?
    I also can't find anything in the manual about Secure Boot. It should be an option, not required, and disabled by default. My ASRock boards have an option to install the security keys after Secure Boot is enabled. I have Windows installed for UEFI booting, and do not use Secure Boot, I have but don't bother with it. It does nothing to reduce performance.

If you don't have an option for "CSM" (enabled = Legacy boot, disabled = UEFI boot) then you may be stuck enabling Secure Boot, which disables CSM automatically, some boards are set up that way. Or just enable the "Enable both UEFI and Legacy" boot option. The manual does not match the current BIOS options, so I don't know what you are working with.

Thread Information