Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASUS P9X79 Pro - Onboard Audio and Video failures

Spyone1 is offline Member

Default ASUS P9X79 Pro - Onboard Audio and Video failures

First time poster on this forum. TY for the facility. Hope I am not being rude asking for advice/suggestions on my first post.
    My PC specs are listed on the drop down.

I currently have an ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard I purchased in March 2013.

I went to use the RCA jack audio on the back (onboard audio) for the first time ever on Christmas Day 2013 (my kids bought me some speakers for Xmas, I usually use USB headphones).
    No sound from the rear RCA outputs. Optical is working just fine, but the speakers are RCA, and you can imagine young children and Xmas presents and them not working.

I tested the speakers on another system, working perfectly.
    I got latest drivers for everything, uninstalled/re-installed drivers in Windows, uninstalled/re-installed the device in Windows, disabled/enabled in BIOS, cleared the CMOS, no joy.

I then flashed the BIOS to the latest version using AI2 Suite (to BIOS V46.07) and my primary video card also stopped working, with no rear RCA audio still.
    The second video card works fine still, but the system doesn't see the primary video card at all, not in BIOS, not anywhere.

Flashbacking the BIOS to what it was (21.04) restored the primary video card, but still no onboard RCA sound.

I am about to return the MB to my purchaser for replacement (on advice from ASUS USA), but figured I would try checking with some more knowledgeable people before I do.
    Has anyone run into this particular sequence of problems before? If so, was there a fix?

Cheers
    Last edited by Spyone1; 01-19-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: additional information added

Default Re: ASUS P9X79 Pro - Onboard Audio and Video failures

do you get any sound from the front headphone port?

is the onboard sound enabled in the bios?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

If your new speaker system is not self powered, these adapters probably will not work.
    Can you post a link to your new speaker system?

I assume that each speaker has a male RCA connector that you are trying to connect to your motherboard.
    You need a 3.5mm male connector to plug into the onboard audio jacks.
    If you have stereo speakers with the male RCA connectors, one of these adapters should fix your problem:

If needed, you can probably buy the cable adapter with a much longer cable length.
    You can probably buy either of the adapters locally at a store that sells Hi-Fi equipment.
    The adapter cable option will allow you to use any of the remaining 3.5mm jacks later, if needed.

A web search using: 3.5 mm stereo male to 2x rca female adapter will provide links.

I used google UK from my side of the pond: https://www.google.co.uk/#q=3.5+mm+s...female+adapter
    Google UK image search: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=3....w=1294&bih=812
    Let us know how you make out.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thanks both for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    do you get any sound from the front headphone port?

is the onboard sound enabled in the bios?
    I get distorted sound from the front headphone port but nothing you can actually listen to. It is just bursts of static.
    Yes the sound is enabled in BIOS. The Optical output works perfectly. It is the RCA jack outputs that do not work.
    I (and a friend that is more computer savvy than myself) have tried everything, including a clean reinstall of Windows and all up-to-date drivers with no success yet.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    If your new speaker system is not self powered, these adapters probably will not work.
    Can you post a link to your new speaker system?
    Surround Sound Speakers Z506

The speakers are self-powered. They do work perfectly when I plug them into another sound source (I tried both my wife's computer and my TV).

There are three plugs (Centre/Bass, Front, Side) that I am supposed to plug into the computer outputs, these run to the amp/bass speaker.
    However, when they are plugged in, there is no sound.

The computer does not even recognize that there are plugs being inserted into the RCA sockets, although the RealTek Sound Manager is set to auto-detect this.
    I have tried changing all the settings in the Sound Manager to try and detect the speakers with no success, in addition to all the other stuff I have mentioned.
    The expanders you linked (TYVM by the way) will not work either, as the computer is not detecting that anything is plugged into those ports.

Under the latest BIOS the primary video card does not work either.

I also now (since the BIOS flash) have to reboot the computer several times to get it to recognize the primary SSD boot disk properly, even once I flashback the system to the old BIOS.
    I have a feeling the board is on the way out, but it is covered under warranty, at least.

I have done quite a bit of back and forth to the ASUS USA technical support. It was them that recommended I return the motherboard to the vendor. Posting here is a last gasp attempt to avoid this.
    Last edited by Spyone1; 01-20-2014 at 05:18 AM. Reason: added the bit about ASUS support

Your speaker system uses 3.5mm cable connectors, not RCA connectors.

RCA phono cable ends from cable-trader.co.uk

Does windows Device Manager show any errors (such as yelow icons) for the Sound, video and game controllers?
    If yes, look at the properties and what is the error code?

Click on the Speaker icon in the task bar.
    Is the volume muted or is the volume level at the low end?

1) Post a cropped screen-shot of the windows Sound Playback window:

2) Click on the Speakers icon and then click on the Configure button and post the window:

Oops, I Just noticed that you are from Australia, not the U.K.
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

My apologies on the confusion about the plug type. As I said previously, I am not the most computer savvy person on the planet.

Have had numerous errors with the audio, the most common was error 10, but there have been lots of others.

I received a USB to 5.1 adapter in the mail this morning. My speakers work perfectly using this (from the same computer) but not using the rear 3.5mm sockets.

In the attached screenshot, the top audio is my USB headset that I have always used, still working perfectly.
    The second is the new USB to 5.1 3.5 jack output that I just installed and tested. Working perfectly.
    The third is the Digital output from the USB to 5.1 device. Not being used.
    The fourth is the 3.5 jack output from the back of the computer. No sound is produced from these, regardless of the configuration.

ASUS P9X79 Pro - Onboard Audio and Video failures-speakers-1-jpg

I went to attach a second screenshot showing the configuration of the fourth speaker listing, but I cannot.
    My Configuration screen looks exactly the same as your screenshot does though, no difference.

I went into Control Panel/System/Device Manager and looked at the Sound, Video and Game controllers. There are no errors or disabled/error devices anywhere.

The new USB sound output is satisfactory for now, but given that neither the sound nor the primary video card are working from the board itself, I am still at a loss.

Oh, and yeah, from Australia (Canberra, to be more precise). Other side of the world from you, I gather. I use Zulu time at work, so I am used to thinking in UK times.

MAIN PC
    CPU
    - i7-3820 @ 3.60Ghz
    MB - AsRock X79 Extreme6 (Bios P2.80)
    RAM - 2 x 8Gb Patriot Viper 1866 CL10 Series @933Mhz
    GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 Direct CU II (2Gb) x 2 (XFire)
    CASE - Fractal Design Desire R4 Black Case (windowless)
    FANS - Standard Fan CPU, 5 x FD Silent 2 140mm Fans in case
    PSU - Thermaltake R2 800W
    SSD - Sandisk SDSSDHP2 240Gb (boot)
    HDD - 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    SYS - Win7 x64 Ultimate
    KB - Logitech K350 Wireless
    MOU -
    Razor Naga Molten mouse
    MON - ASUS VS247H (1920 x 1080)
    UPS - Belkin Line Interactive 1400VA 840W
    System is not overclocked at all.
    2ND PC
    AMD FM2 A10-7850K @ 3.70Ghz
    AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ (Bios P2.90)
    2 x 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Kaveri Spectre Desktop (onboard) @ 760Mhz
    Thermaltake V9 case (1 x 120mm, 1 x 240mm fan)
    Corsair H80i Water Cooler w/2 x 120mm fans
    Seasonic G-Series (SSR-650RM Active PFC F3) 650W

OCZ Vertex 4 120Gb SSD (Boot)
    2 x ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    Win7 X64 Ultimate
    Logitech G15 (6 G Keys) USB
    Logitech MX-518 mouse
    Phillips 22HFL3350D/10 (1920 x 1080)
    NAS - Netgear RN104-100AJS 4 Bay (not hooked in)
    Not overclocking

OK, at least we are on the same track now with RCA vs 3.5mm audio connectors.

If you click on the Speakers - Realtek High Definition Audio and make it the default sound device, you should be able to press the Configure button and then test the speaker output by clicking on the Test button which will test all speakers or you can test the sound by clicking on each speaker, one at a time. If there isn't any sound during these tests, there might be a problem with your Realtek configuration or your Realtek chip might be dead.

Remove your headphones from the front panel headphone jack.
    With your Realtek control center software open, plug in one speaker cable at a time and you should see a notification in the window. If one of the speaker cables does not register, remove the cable and try inserting a different speaker cable in a different rear panel jack.

I've been using discreet sound cards for four years so I'm not fully up to speed with the latest Realtek control center setup. As I recall there is an optional setting where your Realtek rear speakers are automatically muted when headphones are connected to the front panel headphone jack.

With your 21.04 bios do both video cards work OK.
    It might be worthwhile to remove your second video card and see if this makes any difference with the Realtek rear panel audio ports.

OK, at least we are on the same track now with RCA vs 3.5mm audio connectors.

If you click on the Speakers - Realtek High Definition Audio and make it the default sound device, you should be able to press the Configure button and then test the speaker output by clicking on the Test button which will test all speakers or you can test the sound by clicking on each speaker, one at a time. If there isn't any sound during these tests, there might be a problem with your Realtek configuration or your Realtek chip might be dead.

Remove your headphones from the front panel headphone jack.
    With your Realtek control center software open, plug in one speaker cable at a time and you should see a notification in the window. If one of the speaker cables does not register, remove the cable and try inserting a different speaker cable in a different rear panel jack.

I've been using discreet sound cards for four years so I'm not fully up to speed with the latest Realtek control center setup. As I recall there is an optional setting where your Realtek rear speakers are automatically muted when headphones are connected to the front panel headphone jack.

With your 21.04 bios do both video cards work OK.
    It might be worthwhile to remove your second video card and see if this makes any difference with the Realtek rear panel audio ports.
    Yeah, sorry again, I know the difference between RCA and 3.5 Jacks now. Thanks.

I never have front speakers connected (except for earlier today to test what Wazza asked me to test).
    Making the Speakers - Realtek High Definition Audio default is accepted and doing the "test", I get green bars going up and down.
    Going to configure, setting speakers to 5.1, the system shows there is audio (on the indicators for each speaker when you click on it), but nothing is audible.

Just to check, I set the speakers to 2.1, no joy. Plugged a different set of 2.1 speakers, nothing.
    I also removed all the other speakers (USB headset, the USB to 5.1) and removed their drivers, so only the Realtek High Definition Audio and the Optical ones were there. Nothing.

Opening the RealTek audio manager (control centre), I tried plugging in one speaker at a time. No notification for any jack input whatsoever. The rear speaker jack indicators in the manager are greyed out, indicating they are not available. If I understand how the control centre works correctly, I SHOULD be able to right click and change some settings on each one. Nope.

I checked the RealTek settings as you suggested. The one you are referring to is the Adavnced Settings window. I have tried all four possible combinations from that window, no go.

Under 21.04 Bios, both the video cards work. Removing one of them makes no difference to the audio, nor does leaving both of them plugged in.
    Under 46.07 Bios, removing the secondary card stopped the computer from displaying anything, which made it impossible for me to check the audio.
    I went back to 46.07 with 2 video cards and only the secondary one working...alas, still no audio, but at least I can use the computer.

I really appreciate you spending the time going through all this with me and I apologise for taking up your time, especially when the rotten stupid damn thing won't work!!! (read much stronger and fouler expletives where I put "rotten stupid damn", words not appropriate for these forums).

Oh, just in case, I also removed all the drivers and the device yet again, rebooted and reinstalled the lot, using the latest drivers I could find on the net. Still nothing.
    I have a feeling this one is going to be a return and get fixed job.

I forgot to mention that you can only upload one image per post from your computer.

You can include multiple images in each post when you use the Insert Image icon where the image has a unique web address, such as in a file sharing web location. I frequently include multiple images in a single post from my DropBox Public folder.

In post #5, all three images that I included were from google image searches where I "viewed" each image and copied each files' web address, one at a time and pasted the web address into the forum's Insert Image feature for each picture.

It now looks like the Realtek audio has died.
    It's possible that a speaker mute button is enabled, but the fact that none of the speakers appear in the control center when they are plugged in indicates that something else is wrong. Maybe there is a short circuit somewhere in the audio chip and rear I/O panel area.

The only other test that I can think of is to remove your motherboard from the computer case, place the motherboard on a cardboard box beside the computer case and retest with minimal hardware installed.

I forgot to mention that you can only upload one image per post from your computer.

You can include multiple images in each post when you use the Insert Image icon where the image has a unique web address, such as in a file sharing web location. I frequently include multiple images in a single post from my DropBox Public folder.

In post #5, all three images that I included were from google image searches where I "viewed" each image and copied each files' web address, one at a time and pasted the web address into the forum's Insert Image feature for each picture.

It now looks like the Realtek audio has died.
    It's possible that a speaker mute button is enabled, but the fact that none of the speakers appear in the control center when they are plugged in indicates that something else is wrong. Maybe there is a short circuit somewhere in the audio chip and rear I/O panel area.

The only other test that I can think of is to remove your motherboard from the computer case, place the motherboard on a cardboard box beside the computer case and retest with minimal hardware installed.
    I thought I had replied to this, obviously I didnt or it was deleted.

I was thinking "place the motherboard on a cardboard box and hit it with a sledgehammer" rather than "retest with minimal hardware installed".

I have come to the conclusion that ASUS can have it back to repair it. I am not going to take up any more of other people's valuable time here

Thank you heaps for helping me out with this. It is very much appreciated.

MAIN PC
    CPU
    - i7-3820 @ 3.60Ghz
    MB - AsRock X79 Extreme6 (Bios P2.80)
    RAM - 2 x 8Gb Patriot Viper 1866 CL10 Series @933Mhz
    GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 Direct CU II (2Gb) x 2 (XFire)
    CASE - Fractal Design Desire R4 Black Case (windowless)
    FANS - Standard Fan CPU, 5 x FD Silent 2 140mm Fans in case
    PSU - Thermaltake R2 800W
    SSD - Sandisk SDSSDHP2 240Gb (boot)
    HDD - 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    SYS - Win7 x64 Ultimate
    KB - Logitech K350 Wireless
    MOU -
    Razor Naga Molten mouse
    MON - ASUS VS247H (1920 x 1080)
    UPS - Belkin Line Interactive 1400VA 840W
    System is not overclocked at all.
    2ND PC
    AMD FM2 A10-7850K @ 3.70Ghz
    AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ (Bios P2.90)
    2 x 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Kaveri Spectre Desktop (onboard) @ 760Mhz
    Thermaltake V9 case (1 x 120mm, 1 x 240mm fan)
    Corsair H80i Water Cooler w/2 x 120mm fans
    Seasonic G-Series (SSR-650RM Active PFC F3) 650W

OCZ Vertex 4 120Gb SSD (Boot)
    2 x ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    Win7 X64 Ultimate
    Logitech G15 (6 G Keys) USB
    Logitech MX-518 mouse
    Phillips 22HFL3350D/10 (1920 x 1080)
    NAS - Netgear RN104-100AJS 4 Bay (not hooked in)
    Not overclocking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information